What is the Orioles projected payroll next year?

Diehard_O's_Fan

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DirtyBird said:

Why would we invest that much money in a FA SS?

A. I don't think he will cost that much; B. He makes your pitchers much better which makes your trade return better. You are going into next year hoping to trade Cobb & Cashner at a minimum. Perhaps even Gausman. 

53 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’d say wait and see how the rest of his season goes.    He played through an abdominal injury for a while, then missed a lot of time.   Was playing an unfamiliar position, then abruptly switched back.   He’s only played 45 games, and there are 63 to go.    Still time for him to right the ship.    No doubt it’s been listing badly and in danger of going under.   

I agree.   Beckham gets the next two months to convince the O's he should not be non tendered. If he is non tendered that is money that can be spent on another SS.  If he plays well the next two months he will have earned his raise and the chance to be the everyday SS next year.

11 hours ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

I wonder if the Orioles will use the payroll savings to hire more scouts, boost their analytic department and improve their international operations.

I think that's what Duquette said. If he is back. I think on 105.7 or someplace i heard him say the past few years we have had a higher payroll because we were trying to win. He then said we are going to reallocate some of those resources to more scouts, international, etc...

18 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Ridiculous that without Manny, Britton and Jones this club is going to lumber into 2019 with a payroll over $100m. Pretty poor roster management.

$23 mm to one, incredibly unproductive player.    I think we’ll see some payroll-shedding in the offseason though.    

Trade Cashner/Cobb? Honestly, who would want them?

Trade Trumbo? Only if the Os eat half of his contract. What have you gained?

I doubt they get more than a bag of balls for Britton and not even that for the other bullpen arms.

I'm hoping they can somehow keep Schoop, Gausman and Bundy for that light at the end of the tunnel. Hopefully no whistle included.

Pete is not cheap, he's old and slipping. He has ruined this team.

1 hour ago, LookitsPuck said:

Ridiculous that without Manny, Britton and Jones this club is going to lumber into 2019 with a payroll over $100m. Pretty poor roster management.

Here are the only hardcore commitments at this point: 

Chris Davis- $23 million

Alex Cobb- $14 million

Mark Trumbo- $13.5 million

Andrew Cashner- $9.5 million

Darren O'Day- $9 million

So we have $69 million tied up in six veterans.  

Then, you have to have arbitration raises for the following players (or choose to non-tender and either re-sign or cut bait)

Jonathan Schoop

Kevin Gausman

Tim Beckham

Dylan Bundy

Caleb Joseph 

The rest of the team is pre-arbitration.  When you have $69 million tied up in 1.5 fWAR (I;m being generous and not including Davis' negative WAR in that number) then you've spent poorly.  1.1 fWAR is coming from Cashner and Cobb though, and I'm personally interested to see how Cobb does with a full off-season and spring training next year.  

MLBTR has reported today that many teams are checking with the Orioles on Gausman and Bundy's availability, as the starting pitching market is weak for trades and both players are cost controlled for the next 2-3 seasons.  At this point, I'd seriously look at trade packages and keep the payroll down.  Unless they want to extend one or both right now long-term to run through the next projected window. 

I know Manny is already gone but him along with Brach, Jones and Britton is $50M.  

Next year Trumbo, Cashner and O’Day is another $32M. 

They should be in a position to help the major league club out by 20 or 21 if it warrants.  

7 hours ago, hoosiers said:

Hard to believe this train wreck could cost $100M next season.  They need to trade more guys.  

Its hard to have a low payroll when almost $50 million next year is tied up in 3 guys with no value (Davis, Trumbo, and Cobb).  Almost $60 mill if you add O'Day.

54 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Its hard to have a low payroll when almost $50 million next year is tied up in 3 guys with no value (Davis, Trumbo, and Cobb).  Almost $60 mill if you add O'Day.

A commitment to mediocrity.

13 hours ago, eddie83 said:

They basically owe Davis $68M next 4 years before all the deferred money kicks in. You could argue this is the perfect time to carry a bad contract. 

In a vacuum, yes.  If said player is giving significantly below replacement level performance and his presence at first creates a log jam for developing players trying to reach the majors, then not so much.

Archived