The Orioles' 2018 debacle has been a long time coming

PaulFolk

A 28-72 record at the 100-game mark. On pace for the third-most losses in modern MLB history.

How did this season go so horribly wrong for the Orioles? Spoiler: there's lots of reasons, and they date back several years. I explained a few in my latest piece for Baltimore Baseball.

https://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2018/07/23/mlb-orioles-missteps-mishaps-miscalculations-led-to-orioles-2018-debacle/

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Comprehensive and concise. One of the reasons I was such a fan, beginning in the mid-1960s, was how intelligent a team the O's were. I hope this is the end of their recent run of stupidity. Let Duquette do his job.

Why is there  no mention of:

1. Unreasonably difficult early schedule that was probably pay back by MLB for the MASN suit.

2, Injuries to key players including late signings.

3. Cold weather that seem to follow them whereever the went early in the season.

These three things contributed to a bad start to the season.  

Once the O's fell 10 back  in the Wild Card standing on May 2nd the O's were for the most part out  of contention and  the uncertainty of free agents at the end of the year including Buck, Dan, Manny, Britton and Jones  helped cause a free fall.

None of this is covered int he article.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

1. Unreasonably difficult early schedule that was probably pay back by MLB for the MASN suit.

3. Cold weather that seem to follow them whereever the went early in the season.

Once the O's fell 10 back  in the Wild Card standing on May 2nd the O's were for the most part out  of contention and  the uncertainty of free agents at the end of the year including Buck, Dan, Manny, Britton and Jones  helped cause a free fall.

Because the article is about reasons the Orioles are in this situation, not silly excuses for it.

12 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I'm going to stop you right there.
April 2017
2 vs TOR
3 vs NYY
2 @ BOS
4 @ TOR
3 @ CIN
3 vs BOS
3 vs TB
3  @ NYY
O's went 15-8

17 of 23 games against teams that made the playoffs in either 2016 or 2017 or both.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Because the article is about reasons the Orioles are in this situation, not silly excuses for it.

I guess that is an opinion.  

Playing 18 of the O's first 24 games vs last year playoff teams in not an excuse its reality.

Nothing in this article we don't know and haven't discuss ad-nauseam for years here but this would be a great read for the more casual Orioles fan or fans of other clubs wondering how they got to this point. As bad as it is, this season really is somewhat of a blessing in that it has forced them to start the rebuild now instead of continuing to kick the can down the road. Another year hovering around .500 or so and we might have seen yet more of the practices that got them in this hole.

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I guess that in an opinion.  

Playing 18 of the O's first 24 games vs last year playoff teams in not an excuse its reality.

Paul’s article is talking about long term causes of the team’s problems and you’re talking about ephemeral issues like which teams we played when.  The team is 22-54 since those first 24 games.    They stink and scheduling has nothing to do with it.    

34 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Both teams were playing in the cold weather.Have the Orioles had more injuries then most teams? No.Starting pitching has been reasonably healthy Tillman was just a guy that they wanted to see if some time in the minors might be a miracle.Not my fault that Cobb refused to go down to the minors and get stretched out.

34 minutes ago, vab said:

Nothing in this article we don't know and haven't discuss ad-nauseam for years here but this would be a great read for the more casual Orioles fan or fans of other clubs wondering how they got to this point. As bad as it is, this season really is somewhat of a blessing in that it has forced them to start the rebuild now instead of continuing to kick the can down the road. Another year hovering around .500 or so and we might have seen yet more of the practices that got them in this hole.

+1

Archived