Former Orioles farmhand: " I was pretty broken" when he left organization

Tony-OH

14 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

http://www.maxpreps.com/m/career/gendersport/stats.aspx?careerid=e2f46cb6-ecf4-e211-99e4-002655e6c126&gendersport=boys,baseball

Rennie was 102K/22BB in high school, which was probably what he was talking about.

Not to be harsh on the kid, but having a 4.6 K/BB in HS vs having a 2.9 K/BB in pro ball isn't really a drop off. 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is complete garbage.  You’ve got one no-name kid spouting that he didn’t succeed, here, with zero reference point and zero actual knowledge of his personality, work ethic, situation, etc.

Wht is anyone supposed to do with this information?  Absolutely nothing, that’s what.

I would take the words as they are and not build much from them.  Guys who go from organized ball to Indy ball tend to feel lost and broken.

People should read this as an inspirational story where a guy spent two and a half insanely ill advised years in Indy ball and managed to scrape his way back into organized ball.

This guy has a lot of want to have to deal with how horrible quality of life likely was for him.  Baseball is hard and you get few favors.

In his defense, he was a decent starter in high school, got worse with the O’s, then scraped together some pretty good stats in Indy ball and is doing fine with the Mets.

Maybe it wasn’t a good fit for us, or maybe the O’s just ain’t a great organization. I dunno— has anyone ever complained about the O’s being poorly run before? ?

2 hours ago, Enjoy Terror said:

In his defense, he was a decent starter in high school, got worse with the O’s, then scraped together some pretty good stats in Indy ball and is doing fine with the Mets.

Maybe it wasn’t a good fit for us, or maybe the O’s just ain’t a great organization. I dunno— has anyone ever complained about the O’s being poorly run before? ?

At the end of the day I found his quote interesting, for no other reason then he went out of his way to say it when he got interviewed.

He could have said he got some kind of great coaching in INDY ball, or figured some things out during his time in INDY ball, but instead he stated how broken he was when he left the Orioles organization after his previous success (Which by the way happened to be high school and explains a little about about his perception).

Now I've heard multiple stories over the years of a lack of communication with players, and perhaps he kinda fell through the cracks because he wasn't a big prospect. I'm not saying the Orioles did anything wrong here or not, I'm just saying I find the comments interesting because most players would never say something like that due to the business of the game (You never want to burn bridges).

I never saw the kid pitch live and never heard anything from anyone inside or outside the organization that suggested he was guy I needed to see. I remember being shocked when he started off the year in Frederick at 19-years old, but found out it was more about a need for a few weeks more than anything he done to make the organization think he was ready for that level.

At 24-years old, success in the Sally League really doesn't mean anything, but I certainly wish the young man well as he pursues his dreams.

14 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

At the end of the day I found his quote interesting, for no other reason then he went out of his way to say it when he got interviewed.

He could have said he got some kind of great coaching in INDY ball, or figured some things out during his time in INDY ball, but instead he stated how broken he was when he left the Orioles organization after his previous success (Which by the way happened to be high school and explains a little about about his perception).

Now I've heard multiple stories over the years of a lack of communication with players, and perhaps he kinda fell through the cracks because he wasn't a big prospect. I'm not saying the Orioles did anything wrong here or not, I'm just saying I find the comments interesting because most players would never say something like that due to the business of the game (You never want to burn bridges).

I never saw the kid pitch live and never heard anything from anyone inside or outside the organization that suggested he was guy I needed to see. I remember being shocked when he started off the year in Frederick at 19-years old, but found out it was more about a need for a few weeks more than anything he done to make the organization think he was ready for that level.

At 24-years old, success in the Sally League really doesn't mean anything, but I certainly wish the young man well as he pursues his dreams.

Lot of questions for sure.

Its hard to not blame the Orioles, its not like they have been flawless in their minor league development programs, especially pitchers.

But, high school stars that show up in the minors, and are no longer the star of team, dont always have the right maturity level to make the necessary adjustments

Well, I don't think you can take the kids thoughts as gospel, but at the same time we know that people all over baseball find it very easy to throw rocks at the organization.  Frankly they have earned that.  Doesn't mean the kid is right.  But it doesn't distract from the notion that there is a lot of things wrong here, not just a lousy 25 man roster at the pro level.

Of course, the counter is true also....

So many things have been bad for so long, its almost too easy to take shots at the O's.  I mean how many teams have been banned from KBO?

TIFWIW, and this is definitely second hand info, but a buddy of mine heard from a buddy of his that is out working as an UBER driver in Vegas that one night he picked up an Angles pitcher (I don't know who) and they started talking baseball and the driver mentioned he was an O's fan from Baltimore, and this pitcher started talking about how Parker Bridwell had nothing but awful things to say about the O's organization when he signed with Angels.  Again, all second hand, but he mentioned there was practically no use of film for studying and that the coaches and personnel acted like their own no-it-all clique and lacked clear communication with the players.  Again, whatever, but it seems to fit into the narrative of the past few years a bit.

5 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

a buddy of mine heard from a buddy of his that is out working as an UBER driver in Vegas that one night he picked up an Angles pitcher (I don't know who) and they started talking baseball and the driver mentioned he was an O's fan from Baltimore, and this pitcher started talking about how Parker Bridwell had nothing but awful things to say about the O's organization when he signed with Angels. 

Well, that’s very definitive then!   

9 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

He mentioned there was practically no use of film for studying and that the coaches and personnel acted like their own no-it-all clique and lacked clear communication with the players.  Again, whatever, but it seems to fit into the narrative of the past few years a bit.

That would have been the Dave Wallace regime I suspect. I always liked Parker and had no idea why he never made use of his god given talent. How is his pitching this season? Did the wildly out of sync peripherals catch up or is he still leading the rotation?

1 minute ago, weams said:

That would have been the Dave Wallace regime I suspect. I always liked Parker and had no idea why he never made use of his god given talent. How is his pitching this season? Did the wildly out of sync peripherals catch up or is he still leading the rotation?

Never mind. I did my own research. Sorry to hear that he regressed.

image.thumb.png.96b90130c8385dcaf3966b189817cb83.png

12 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

TIFWIW, and this is definitely second hand info, but a buddy of mine heard from a buddy of his that is out working as an UBER driver in Vegas that one night he picked up an Angles pitcher (I don't know who) and they started talking baseball and the driver mentioned he was an O's fan from Baltimore, and this pitcher started talking about how Parker Bridwell had nothing but awful things to say about the O's organization when he signed with Angels.  Again, all second hand, but he mentioned there was practically no use of film for studying and that the coaches and personnel acted like their own no-it-all clique and lacked clear communication with the players.  Again, whatever, but it seems to fit into the narrative of the past few years a bit.

I'm trying to figure out if this is a joke or if you're actually serious.

Lots of prospects burn out in all kinds of organization and never make it, and I'm sure a good portion of them think it's not their fault and it's how they were handled.  Somehow, the talented guys like Machado, Schoop, Gausman, Bundy, Mancini, Sisco, etc., manage to make it in spite of the supposed Orioles broken development system.  My guess is, the coaches focus on the better (and probably more coachable) players, and probably let knuckleheads who've got it all figured out continue to be knucklehead's.  JMO.

Archived