John Angelos and Adam Jones dined, discussed Orioles and the community of Baltimore's future

Greg Pappas

16 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

They have always been there in the past. Jones has been several minutes late each of the past three years, but has always been there.

I am curious whether you can name any players that don't give autographs. I have never heard of this. The Orioles require their players to attend this event and Fanfest, that is pretty much it in terms of required off the field events as far as I know. I would hate giving autographs to non-children if I were a player too, but it is part of the job for better or worse.

Bobby Bonilla wouldn’t stop and give me an autograph when I was a kid. Only player ever to snub me. 

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, sevastras said:

Bobby Bonilla wouldn’t stop and give me an autograph when I was a kid. Only player ever to snub me. 

Jamie Quirk was the only one who wouldn’t sign for me when I was a kid.

I was too afraid to get near players when I was a kid. But my dad would make me go down by the railing to get my program signed. The closest I ever got to getting it signed was when Eddie Murray finished signing the hat of a kid then looked at me waiting for me to give him something. I panicked and just stared at him. He stared back at me like I was Ken Rosenthal. Eventually he blinked, and went on to the next kid.

43 minutes ago, Chavez Ravine said:

I was too afraid to get near players when I was a kid. But my dad would make me go down by the railing to get my program signed. The closest I ever got to getting it signed was when Eddie Murray finished signing the hat of a kid then looked at me waiting for me to give him something. I panicked and just stared at him. He stared back at me like I was Ken Rosenthal. Eventually he blinked, and went on to the next kid.

I literally laughed out loud at that. ?

13 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Unfortunately, Adam Jones didn't attend the autograph session held today between 3:45 and 4:30 for 29-game plan and full season ticket holders. Jonathan Schoop didn't arrive until 4:15 or so. Every other player besides Gausman, (tonight's starting pitcher whose absence was presumably excused) was there. Both Jones and Schoop had seats at the autograph stations that went unfilled (in Schoop's case, for 2/3rds of the event). Not a fan of Adam missing this opportunity to be there, and for Schoop it is especially disappointing since he skipped Fan Fest as well.

I understand that signing autographs is not most players' favorite thing to do, but the Orioles only require their players to do this twice a year. Hopefully someone asks Schoop and Jones why they chose to disappoint some of the most dedicated Orioles fans (or at least those that shell out a significant amount of money for season tickets).

Schoop was probably face timing with his best bud Machado at the time of the session and lost track of time.

All kidding aside, I think an explanation on Schoop's late arrival and Jone's no show is owed to the attendees.

Since their stations were up I doubt either has a valid excuse for basically blowing off the event.

25 minutes ago, Odenton Mike said:

If/when Adam Jones gets traded, count me as one of those that will NOT miss the post-game pies!

I would have liked the "Post-Game Pies" for about 90 Games because they always came after a win.

14 hours ago, sevastras said:

Long ago, outside of Yankee Stadium an hour or so after the game, I pleaded to Frank Robinson: "Frank, I was there in '66--I saw what you brought to Baltimore! You've got to sign!" and held out my glove. He flatly replied: "No, I don't," stuck his hand out palm up to see how much it was still raining, and then ducked back inside. I stood there for a second looking like an idiot at the rain-streaked glass door. Then someone behind me tapped me on the shoulder and I turned around to see that it was Elrod Hendricks still in uniform. He smiled and said, "I'll sign that for you" and I gratefully handed it over to him. He knew what it meant.

Archived