John Angelos and Adam Jones dined, discussed Orioles and the community of Baltimore's future

Greg Pappas

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Rene88 said:

Lots of ignorant comments of late on this board. The alarming thing is that many just don't care if they are being ignorant. The ignorant comments directed at Adam Jones in particular are rooted in things outside of baseball and I hope those particular individuals get the karma they deserve in this world. 

Because clearly Adam Jones losing a step in CF is why we have the worst record in MLB..rolls eyes...

Adam Jones is a true leader and I am thankful I have been able to watch him in an Orioles uniform and I will be there when his number is retired. My favorite Oriole of all time. Thank you Mr. Jones.

I would say the biggest issue with the team was playing Manny at Shortstop and Mancini in left field. Both absolutely terrible at their positions.  I saw Manny make some good plays at third for the Dodgers with great movement. I am not sure why he has range at third but not at short. 

14 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

I've never seen players miss in the five years I've been there, unless they are on the DL (so Darren O'Day was not there, nor was he expected to be there), or they are the starting pitcher for the day.  Its a known baseball unwritten rule that the starting pitcher does not sign autographs as a superstition thing, and the last two starting pitchers Ive seen sign autographs before the game backs that up.  

For Schoop, it's disappointing because he missed fan fest and said that he would be more available to the fans this year for autographs before games.  For Adam, this is really disappointing because this could be the last time we could get his autograph, and if one of his concerns for not waiving his No-Trade Clause is to say goodbye to the fans the right way, he certainly didn't show that yesterday.  

I'm not expecting guys to be all that thrilled to be there- when I got to Adam for this event in 2014, he looked miserable.  In 2015, Manny was going through the motions, but last year, he was looking over and showed Ruben Tejada the 2015 ASG HR Derby ball I wanted him to sign.  However,  some were happy at the chance to interact with fans.  Cashner commented on the "pearl" baseball I asked him to sign, and Danny Valencia was giving me a hard time over the baseball that I want to trade with Mark Trumbo and they both laughed at my friend's dad who was helping me get things signed when he said "he's a pushover, don't worry about it."  

Also, this is one of the only true perks that 81 and 29 game season ticket holders have, aside from the dollar-for-dollar trade promotion.  To have two star players no-show the event, and then to have the table 4 people with Schoop turn in their "guarantee" vouchers without getting Schoop's autograph is pretty ridiculous.  

Sorry you didn't get autographs you wanted. But I've not seen reasons why AJ didn't show or why Schoop was late. 

1 minute ago, atomic said:

I would say the biggest issue with the team was playing Manny at Shortstop and Mancini in left field. Both absolutely terrible at their positions.  I saw Manny make some good plays at third for the Dodgers with great movement. I am not sure why he has range at third but not at short. 

They had no business bringing Trumbo back with Davis already signed to a huge deal.  We didn't know if Mancini could play a passable LF but now we do and he can't.  Either Trumbo has to go, or Mancini has to be sent down to AAA until Trumbo is done playing in Baltimore.  Trumbo needs to be the DH and we need a real outfield again.  And now the team is wondering if Mountcastle can go to LF.  SMDH.

Playing Manny at SS was just caving in to his demands.  Was only a half-season problem, thankfully.

3 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

Sorry you didn't get autographs you wanted. But I've not seen reasons why AJ didn't show or why Schoop was late. 

They- not the Orioles- owe it to their fans to explain their absence.  The Orioles leaving their nameplates up, and not filling their spots with other people from the organization or MASN like Bordick, Dempsey, or Palmer, indicates that nothing was communicated with them beforehand.  I believe just about every true fan would understand if Adam had a family responsibility that he needed to attend to, or if Schoop had something going on, and they communicated with us about.  

I personally do not care about the autographs.  I was happy with what I got.  I have enough money to buy Jones or Schoop's autographs from the team store if I was that pressed over it.  What concerns me is that this is the main group of fans who show up even when the team is horrible, and their no-show's at this point is a really, really bad look without any explanation from anyone.  And there were plenty of kids there too that I bet were disappointed.  

A mid-season trade means that Jones can't get a qualifying offer, which would be in his best interest if he wants a long term contract with maximal value.

If he gets the qualifying offer, he either has to accept a 1 year contract, or go to free agency knowing that teams will be a little reluctant to sign him since it means forfeiting draft picks.

5 minutes ago, Ornithological said:

A mid-season trade means that Jones can't get a qualifying offer, which would be in his best interest if he wants a long term contract with maximal value.

If he gets the qualifying offer, he either has to accept a 1 year contract, or go to free agency knowing that teams will be a little reluctant to sign him since it means forfeiting draft picks.

I think he wants to stay an Oriole. I expect if they put a qualifying offer on him he would accept it. 

8 minutes ago, atomic said:

I think he wants to stay an Oriole. I expect if they put a qualifying offer on him he would accept it. 

If Jones gets a QO someone should be shot. 

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He might not get 2/18 on the open market.

Beat me to it. I think he’s dreaming if he expects much more than that. But the Orioles don’t have to be the team that signs him to even a one year deal. He doesn’t fit in their plans.

Thanks and good luck.

Archived