John Angelos and Adam Jones dined, discussed Orioles and the community of Baltimore's future

Greg Pappas

1 minute ago, FlipTheBird said:

And they chose those commutes. Adam has a choice, too.

Yeah like any of the people making these comments would take a job in Philly for 3 months for a company as a favor to a company that you worked for 11 years who says they don't want you anymore.   Just absolute nonsense coming out of people's keyboards.   

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, FlipTheBird said:

There'd be nothing to be gained by sitting him out of spite. Stewart is the only other young outfielder that you could really make a case for getting time this year, and he could just as easily play left or DH. 

Indeed.  I just want to see Mullins bounce Jones in CF, Jones bounce Mancini in LF, and Mancini DH and spell Davis at 1B.  With Trumbo keeping RF warm for Yusniel Diaz.

3 minutes ago, atomic said:

Yeah like any of the people making these comments would take a job in Philly for 3 months for a company as a favor to a company that you worked for 11 years who says they don't want you anymore.   Just absolute nonsense coming out of people's keyboards.   

Well considering a company I used to work for sent me overseas for two years I don't see where it would be a big deal. 

And yes, I still absolutely agree that Jones has every right to say no.

It is just the idea that a couple hour commute would cause him to "uproot his family" is causing me issue.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I never said otherwise.

Not even close.

I was responding to the idea that he would have to "uproot his family". 

It's a two hour commute for three months.

Each way.  I wouldn't blame him if he doesn't want to do that.  I sure wouldn't if I didn't have to.

It's not like we would be getting a big time prospect for Jones. I'll be happy to watch him in the outfield with Mullins for the rest of the year. Jones is a class and and is a future Orioles hall of famer, I'm fine with him playing the year out with the O's. 

2 minutes ago, canonfaz said:

It's not like we would be getting a big time prospect for Jones. I'll be happy to watch him in the outfield with Mullins for the rest of the year. Jones is a class and and is a future Orioles hall of famer, I'm fine with him playing the year out with the O's. 

Exactly. Is it worth the trouble?  AJ has done us right. He was the first to sign a fair deal and commit to us. He’s always represented the team well. He’s active in the community. 

I don’t get how this is just a two hour commute for him?  What by train?  I leave for work at 6:30am and it takes me 45 mins somedays to get from Catonsville to Downtown Baltimore. Plus that’s a lot of driving. 

If jones wants to go then fine, but if he doesn’t, that’s cool too. He doesn’t owe us anything. 

I'll be the first to admit I'm not your average "fan".

So forgive me, but other than possible monetary value...why is it so important get another man to sign their name on a piece of memorabilia? I don't get the infatuation with it, even as a kid it seemed odd to me.  I was an odd kid (and now odd adult) I'll own that. 

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

Exactly. Is it worth the trouble?  AJ has done us right. He was the first to sign a fair deal and commit to us. He’s always represented the team well. He’s active in the community. 

I don’t get how this is just a two hour commute for him?  What by train?  I leave for work at 6:30am and it takes me 45 mins somedays to get from Catonsville to Downtown Baltimore. Plus that’s a lot of driving. 

If jones wants to go then fine, but if he doesn’t, that’s cool too. He doesn’t owe us anything. 

I just googled Baltimore to Philly.

I'm not suggesting he actually commute.

Just that if he and his family wanted to visit it could easily be accomplished without anyone being uprooted.

11 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Each way.  I wouldn't blame him if he doesn't want to do that.  I sure wouldn't if I didn't have to.

I wouldn't want to either.

But I know someone who has a 2 1/2 hour commute right now.  I had a Lt Col in Germany that lived in another country and commuted every day.  I knew one contractor in VA that lived in Texas and flew back and forth every week (she worked mon-thur).

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Well considering a company I used to work for sent me overseas for two years I don't see where it would be a big deal. 

And yes, I still absolutely agree that Jones has every right to say no.

It is just the idea that a couple hour commute would cause him to "uproot his family" is causing me issue.

Jones would have to get an apartment in Philadelphia.  You can’t play baseball everyday and drive four hours round trip.

I live the Orioles, but I’ve never given a crap about anyone’s autograph. I get to each their own, but there are some grown ups here acting like children. Maybe he had diarrhea, maybe he had a personal problem he had to deal with, maybe he just doesn’t wanna do it and has let the O’s know this. Either way, I don’t care. And other than it being a minor annoyance, I don’t know why anyone else does either. 

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I just googled Baltimore to Philly.

I'm not suggesting he actually commute.

Just that if he and his family wanted to visit it could easily be accomplished without anyone being uprooted.

I’m not an expert about the drive. Plus he might live north of the city so that would help. But the guy gave us a discount to sign here so why beat him up now for wanting to stay. 

Archived