John Angelos and Adam Jones dined, discussed Orioles and the community of Baltimore's future

Greg Pappas

4 minutes ago, awannabegeek said:

I'll be the first to admit I'm not your average "fan".

So forgive me, but other than possible monetary value...why is it so important get another man to sign their name on a piece of memorabilia? I don't get the infatuation with it, even as a kid it seemed odd to me.  I was an odd kid (and now odd adult) I'll own that. 

I guess that explains your handle.

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’m not an expert about the drive. Plus he might live north of the city so that would help. But the guy gave us a discount to sign here so why beat him up now for wanting to stay. 

Not sure where you get that from.

It was a fair market contract for someone who had arbitration years left.

Also, I'm not beating him up.

27 minutes ago, Ripken said:

No, I get it, but he doesn't have to move his family at all for a couple months and it's a chance to play baseball that matters.  We all love that he's loyal, but for all parties involved I'd like to see him go now.

It’s his choice. It doesn’t matter what anyone including the Orioles want. 

1 minute ago, LookitsPuck said:

Duquette is such an awkward person and I really don’t like how he treats players and personnel.

He's just a guy that knows what he's doing but has a hard time expressing it.

As a guy who's had to practice social interaction for decades, because of a touch of autism (formerly known as asperger's), I can understand.  Maybe Dan hasn't put in as much work as I have.

7 hours ago, ChuckS said:

His family is going to be uprooted regardless when he leaves in Free Agency.  I'm not sure what the big deal is about doing it three months earlier.  Kids are off school until September so it's a better time than doing it in the middle of the Fall.  

Maybe he thinks Baltimore will resign him.  

Pulling a kid out of school that they’re already accustomed to...as well as uprooting the family. Why? He can join a contender next year. Jones has earned the 10/5. Its well within his rights and honestly Duquette should take the high road. 

Just now, LookitsPuck said:

Pulling a kid out of school that they’re already accustomed to...as well as uprooting the family. Why? He can join a contender next year. Jones has earned the 10/5. Its well within his rights and honestly Duquette should take the high road. 

Isn't the school year September to June?  You wouldn't be pulling the kids out of school now.  

However you would be if/when he leaves for free agency.  

Just now, LookitsPuck said:

Why would his kids have to be pulled out of school? 

This uprooting thing is really annoying me. 

There is no reason Jones' family would have to go to Philly with him.

None.

No one would be uprooted.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why would his kids have to be pulled out of school? 

This uprooting thing is really annoying me. 

There is no reason Jones' family would have to go to Philly with him.

None.

No one would be uprooted.

I’d imagine Jones has a much better grasp of his family situation than you, myself and certainly Duquette.

School doesn’t always start in September. It can start mid August depending on where they go. There’s also summer camp, family, etc. 

Maybe, I don’t know, Jones wants to be around his family as much as possible and not have to travel at least a couple hours to and from Philly to Baltimore...if even Philly was going to be the place.

13 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Adam can do what he wants, but taking his kids out of school isn’t an issue.   His older boy is four years old.  

5 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

I’d imagine Jones has a much better grasp of his family situation than you, myself and certainly Duquette.

School doesn’t always start in September. It can start mid August depending on where they go. There’s also summer camp, family, etc. 

Maybe, I don’t know, Jones wants to be around his family as much as possible and not have to travel at least a couple hours to and from Philly to Baltimore...if even Philly was going to be the place.

ONCE AGAIN I have ZERO problem with Jones using his right to refuse the trade.

What I do have a problem with is the idea that getting traded to Philly for 2-3 months is somehow uprooting his family.

That's nonsense.

34 minutes ago, awannabegeek said:

I'll be the first to admit I'm not your average "fan".

So forgive me, but other than possible monetary value...why is it so important get another man to sign their name on a piece of memorabilia? I don't get the infatuation with it, even as a kid it seemed odd to me.  I was an odd kid (and now odd adult) I'll own that. 

To me, I have a memorabilia collection for sports.  I also have a bobblehead collection.  So in the same way that people like video games, or collect any of the numerous collectables out there, it's a hobby.  

Now, there are some collectors who sell who are season ticket holders, or buy tickets from season ticket holders to get into this event.  But by and large, this is season ticket holders and a fair amount of kids who want to meet their favorite players and get an autograph.  I would estimate a good portion of the season ticket holders don't even come with special items like jerseys or bats, or even baseballs, to get signed, but either take the cards offered at the table or have them sign one item like a single ball (I saved my baseballs for specific players each year.) 

Now, as I said earlier, this is one of the biggest benefits for season ticket holders.  Only 81 and 29 game season ticket holders can get into this event.  Unlike FanFest, where everyone can come and you purchase autograph vouchers, this is completely free as it's a season ticket benefit.  So yeah, when two players no-show the event and there are no reasons as to why given, season ticket holders have a right to be upset until a legitimate reason is given. 

At least they didn't publish the names again this year.  I imagine most of the people would've went to the lines for Jones and Schoop and been highly pissed off. 

Archived