Orioles "No one is untouchable in rebuild"

Roll Tide

1 minute ago, pastorfan said:

Not necessarily. He is going to try to build his resume up as much as possible. If he is staying then no reason to not have extended him yet. Maybe he will "earn" an extension by making what appears to be very good trades.

If he was on his way out, they would say: "Only Manny (because we have to) and the bag of balls guys (because they don't matter. Any big trade for the controllable guys has to go through Brady."

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Burning down would be releasing Davis. We are not even close to there yet.

Releasing Davis means cutting a check of about $100M.  I seriously doubt that happens.  I think we will have Davis on the roster into 2020 at least.  At some point, I do think our ownership will be cutting CD with 1.5-2.5 years left meaning a farewell check for between about $35M and $55M.  The $ is owed. Unless he is a cancer in the clubhouse or the league will approve a payment schedule that allows full payment under contract terms plus an interest rate - think $10M per year for 10 years, I don't see that check being written soon.

3 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

Releasing Davis means cutting a check of about $100M.  I seriously doubt that happens.  I think we will have Davis on the roster into 2020 at least.  At some point, I do think our ownership will be cutting CD with 1.5-2.5 years left meaning a farewell check for between about $35M and $55M.  The $ is owed. Unless he is a cancer in the clubhouse or the league will approve a payment schedule that allows full payment under contract terms plus an interest rate - think $10M per year for 10 years, I don't see that check being written soon.

If he is released, aren't the O's obligated to continue with his contract?  Right now much of his salary is already deferred.

16 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

Releasing Davis means cutting a check of about $100M.  I seriously doubt that happens.  I think we will have Davis on the roster into 2020 at least.  At some point, I do think our ownership will be cutting CD with 1.5-2.5 years left meaning a farewell check for between about $35M and $55M.   The $ is owed. Unless he is a cancer in the clubhouse or the league will approve a payment schedule that allows full payment under contract terms plus an interest rate - think $10M per year for 10 years, I don't see that check being written soon.

I assume you are not implying that when a player is released, the obligation to pay him the remainder of his contract is accelerated.    That is certainly not the case.   The payments are due when they otherwise would have been due, regardless of whether he’s retained or released.   

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I assume you are not implying that when a player is released, the obligation to pay him the remainder of his contract is accelerated.    That is certainly not the case.   The payments are due when they otherwise would have been due, regardless of whether he’s retained or released.   

That is not my understanding.  We paid out Gibbons when we cut him with two years left.  I thought I had heard of other teams doing the same.

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don't have time to look at the UPC and CBA, but do you know offhand if the league has any authority to prevent a change in payment schedule as long as the full amount isn't reduced?

32 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

I think Frobby is right releasing Davis does not accelerate the payments, you still owe the $$, but they get paid when due.  Right now hell keep Davis he's helping us tank our way to the #1 pick. Bring him back next spring and see if he can right the ship. If not let him rot on the bench or cut you loss and send him packing.

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

You have to think, if they are giving DD license to trade off controllable assets, that must mean that he is staying.

I look at it more as no decision yet as to whether Duquette will get extended, and an unwillingness either to wait any longer to start this process or to hire a new guy on the fly. 

What makes sense to me would be to keep Duquette on with, say, a three-year contract, and hire one or two real smart 35-to-30 men or women from other organizations as his assistants, with the expectation they, or one of them, would succeed Duquette no later than the end of his new contract, at which time Duquette might be promoted, moved sideways, or shown the door. 

And Brady has to report to Duquette (or his replacement) if he's going to have any role outside of fitness, nutrition and working with individual players.

3 hours ago, esmd said:

That's why I said around next July with Gausman, as his walk year is 2020.  Bundy's is 2021, so I doubt he'll go anywhere before July 2020, if then.  A lot can happen between now and 2020/2021.  They might be competitive again, and need pitchers like Gausman and Bundy in the rotation.  Short sighted to trade them away now or this offseason, IMO, unless some team REALLY knocks their socks off with a stupid offer.

It's the complete opposite of short-sighted to trade them away.  I sound like a broken record, but they're not going to be around for the next Orioles' contention window and have considerable value as cost-controlled starting pitchers that dwindles with each passing day. 

The Orioles need an infusion of talent to be competitive.  Gausman, Bundy, and Givens could really go towards that.  

So if they'd traded Tillman in 2010 or 2011 because he was a little slow developing and the "wasn't going to be around for the next Orioles' contention window," how would that have worked out?  You know, since 2012 came out of nowhere?  You or I have no earthly idea when they might be a playoff contender again.  For all we know they could be in contention for a WC spot in 2020 with a young, developing team, and NEED a guy like Gausman in the rotation.  At this point, there are other pieces that need to be moved first, with the return needing to be evaluated, before deciding to part ways with Gausman.

4 hours ago, nadecir said:

We started with 3 Rule V picks on our opening day roster, last season why not start with even more Rule V picks in 2019?

I would rather see a team of Rule V picks on the field in 2019 than a bunch of older, replacement level veterans  who have no chance of helping in the future when the Orioles can reasonably compete.  We are going to be bad next season.  At least take a look at inexpensive, younger players from other organizations without rushing our own prospects.

This. I'd be working the waiver wire trying to find younger guys like Nunez who might be something, trading for blocked players at AAA, and taking rule five picks. And maybe signing a few vets that I can trade at the deadline next year. 

#Rockies have spoken with #Orioles about Dylan Bundy and Kevin Gausman, in addition to Zach Britton, but sources say there’s no current momentum in talks about the starters. @MLB @MLBNetwork

jon morosi

Archived