Your Oriole Closer Ranking List

Redskins Rick

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

It’s unfortunate that we’ve never really had a closer who lasted a long time.   As I mentioned elsewhere, our top five in saves still fall 25 short of Mariano Rivera by himself.

Random worthless trivia, only one team has an all time saves leader who totaled less than 100 for that franchise. 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, weams said:

On Year. 36 saves. I take Jim Johnson over that. 

As would I.

In fact, I did. :)

So my ranking, would be:   Greg / Zach / JJ  / Lee / Tippy

Zach was clearly the most dominant, but something about the fan in me, loved watching Greg save a game,

Clearly, this is the "eye" test, and not validated by sabermetics.

Just now, jerios55 said:

I guess my brain is purely in rebuilding mode now.

I was expecting to see comments about Pop, Carroll, Givens...  Haha.

So tired of all the past trade talks, rumors and worse team in baseball.

Figure, to throw something out there, that was off that track.

4 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Makes sense. For some reason, I was thinking another expansion team, the Mets, but figured I was wrong.

Except I was wrong.  The answer is Arizona (Valverde).  Hernandez had 101 for TB.  Arizona and TB both started in '98.

Forgot all about BJ Ryan, which while I guess you could say that says it all, it's not fair to the man.  He was definitely better than Chris Ray.  Sherrill has a decent season or so for us.  Benitez....argh.  I still remember Tony Fernandez. 

I guess I'd slot Ryan in between Randy Myers and Lee Smith on my list.  Sherrill tied with Ray, and Benitez just below them.

16 hours ago, esmd said:

Forgot all about BJ Ryan, which while I guess you could say that says it all, it's not fair to the man.  He was definitely better than Chris Ray.  Sherrill has a decent season or so for us.  Benitez....argh.  I still remember Tony Fernandez. 

I guess I'd slot Ryan in between Randy Myers and Lee Smith on my list.  Sherrill tied with Ray, and Benitez just below them.

Ryan was only the closer for one year.    In my opinion, he was more valuable the previous season, when he was used as the fireman. 

Archived