DD is not under contract next year and

atomic

His contract is up.  I don’t know whether DD will be here or not, but the club is going in the direction of younger Management. I can tell you that.

DD is not under contract next year and I think it is time for the club to rebuild with a younger GM.  We are going a new direction so get rid of the guys who have had the game pass them by.  Get a young GM from an Ivy League school who knows stats and get rid of Buck and DD.  

Really DD screwed up on letting Markakis go.  Time to let him go.  

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, atomic said:

His contract is up.  I don’t know whether DD will be here or not, but the club is going in the direction of younger Management. I can tell you that.

DD is not under contract next year and I think it is time for the club to rebuild with a younger GM.  We are going a new direction so get rid of the guys who have had the game pass them by.  Get a young GM from an Ivy League school who knows stats and get rid of Buck and DD.  

Really DD screwed up on letting Markakis go.  Time to let him go.  

It sure didn't look like he screwed up when Markakis hit a whopping three home runs in 686 at bats in his first year in Atlanta. 

3 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

It sure didn't look like he screwed up when Markakis hit a whopping three home runs in 686 at bats in his first year in Atlanta. 

He had 2.4 offensive WAR that season.  The home run fixation is what got us stuck with Davis and Trumbo. 

3 minutes ago, atomic said:

He had 2.4 offensive WAR that season.  The home run fixation is what got us stuck with Davis and Trumbo. 

I don't care what his WAR was. A 3 HR outfielder is unplayable. And if WAR doesn't reflect that then it's a flawed metric. I'm also not convinced that Duquette was the man behind the Davis and Trumbo signings. Especially Davis. That signing reeks of Buck, Peter, and Brady. 

2 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I don't care what his WAR was. A 3 HR outfielder is unplayable. And if WAR doesn't reflect that then it's a flawed metric. I'm also not convinced that Duquette was the man behind the Davis and Trumbo signings. Especially Davis. That signing reeks of Buck, Peter, and Brady. 

So if you have an OF who leads the league in OBP, you'd put them on the bench? 

4 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Markakis was a very important player to our team. I agree WAR underrates him. It doesn't care about 9 or 10 pitch at bats.  It doesn't care about him moving over the runner.  A guy could have zero home runs and be a star player.  Rickey Henderson had a few season where he didn't hit many home runs but score well over a 100 runs.  

You could have made almost any other argument for the reason DD should be fired like: re-signing Trumbo and Davis. Signing Ubaldo and Gallarado. And a few others but Nick was my favorite O's player since Cal retired and I even though Nick had to go.

Just now, wildbillhiccup said:

...but he didn't so I'm not really sure what you're trying to argue. 

I'm arguing the logic of any OFer who isn't hitting homeruns is "unplayable". I'll take a 0HR outfielder who leads the league in OBP any time. Especially if they are on an orioles team that hits tons of solo homeruns.

2 minutes ago, atomic said:

Markakis was a very important player to our team. I agree WAR underrates him. It doesn't care about 9 or 10 pitch at bats.  It doesn't care about him moving over the runner.  A guy could have zero home runs and be a star player.  Rickey Henderson had a few season where he didn't hit many home runs but score well over a 100 runs.  

You mean WAR "overrates" him. 

And the difference between Markakis and a traditional lead off hitter like Henderson is that his speed allowed him to turn most of those singles into doubles. And Henderson might have been crazy, but Markakis isn't half the player that he was. 

Just now, badmamajama said:

You could have made almost any other argument for the reason DD should be fired like: re-signing Trumbo and Davis. Signing Ubaldo and Gallarado. And a few others but Nick was my favorite O's player since Cal retired and I even though Nick had to go.

I'm pro DD, but I don't see how you can say letting Markakis go was the right move. He's been worth his contract and the Orioles have had a revolving door of garbage in RF since he left. They've even given up prospects for some of the garbage.

Archived