DD is not under contract next year and

atomic

1 minute ago, capyy said:

I'm arguing the logic of any OFer who isn't hitting homeruns is "unplayable". I'll take a 0HR outfielder who leads the league in OBP any time. Especially if they are on an orioles team that hits tons of solo homeruns.

My point is NO ONE was second guessing letting Markakis go after that first year in Atlanta. And the only reason people are even bringing it up now is because he had a bit of a resurgence in the first half of this season. He's a good player, but Atlanta overpaid for him. 

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, atomic said:

He was 9th in the league in OBP and also had 38 doubles.  

Check your facts. Buster Posey finished 9th in OBP in 2015.

On-Base%
1. Harper  WSN .460
2. Votto  CIN .459
3. Cabrera  DET .440
4. Goldschmidt  ARI .435
5. Trout  LAA .402
6. McCutchen  PIT .401
7. Rizzo  CHC .387
8. Brantley  CLE .379
9. Posey  SFG .379
10. Fielder  TEX .378

1 minute ago, wildbillhiccup said:

My point is NO ONE was second guessing letting Markakis go after that first year in Atlanta. And the only reason people are even bringing it up now is because he had a bit of a resurgence in the first half of this season. He's a good player, but Atlanta overpaid for him. 

That's not what I quoted. I quoted you saying a 3 HR OF is "unplayable". You're changing your point.

if Atlanta overpaid, it's not by much. And considering how free agent contracts usually work out, they did well.

Just now, capyy said:

That's not what I quoted. I quoted you saying a 3 HR OF is "unplayable". You're changing your point.

if Atlanta overpaid, it's not by much. And considering how free agent contracts usually work out, they did well.

how free agent contracts can work out*. 

2 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

akis and a traditional lead off hitter like Henderson is that his speed allowed him to turn most of those singles into doubles. And Henderson might have been crazy, but Markakis isn't half the player that he was. 

No underrates Markakis. And that isn't the point of this.  DD tried to leave while under contract.  Yet Adam wants to stay.  DD is old as dirt and he is saying Jones is too old to play.  The trend in the league is to get young GM's out of Ivy league schools.  We should join the modern era.  Leave old school DD behind.  Just like the Red Sox did over 15 years ago and won a bunch of World Series.  

Also Jones most comparable player up to his current age is Andre Dawson who played until he was 41.  And Adam's offensive numbers this year are pretty comparable to his career averages.  

1 minute ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Check your facts. Buster Posey finished 9th in OBP in 2015.

On-Base%
1. Harper  WSN .460
2. Votto  CIN .459
3. Cabrera  DET .440
4. Goldschmidt  ARI .435
5. Trout  LAA .402
6. McCutchen  PIT .401
7. Rizzo  CHC .387
8. Brantley  CLE .379
9. Posey  SFG .379
10. Fielder  TEX .378

I said in the league and I was correct.  In the National League he was 9th.  You have a bunch of American League players in there.  

6 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I was second guessing it the first year and as soon as he was let go.  Everyone was saying Travis Snyder would be better and I laughed.  Where is Travis Snyder today?

15 minutes ago, capyy said:

I'm pro DD, but I don't see how you can say letting Markakis go was the right move. He's been worth his contract and the Orioles have had a revolving door of garbage in RF since he left. They've even given up prospects for some of the garbage.

Yes, I would have liked them to have kept Nick. But understood why it didn't happen. So while I don't blame him for not re-signing him, it doesn't stop me from blaming him on not finding a suitable replacement for him. Hindsight being what it is and all. I'm just saying not bring back Nick would be like 25th or so down on my list as the reason not to bring back DD.

Just now, Rene88 said:

Corn loved Snider, lol. You and I both didn’t like the Snider move. 

I didn't want to resign Markakis, but I would have changed my tune if I knew right field would be a mess for four years.  Four years and still haven't found Nick's replacement. 

Also Buck didn't like the move to begin with and Snider ended up in the doghouse. 

50 minutes ago, atomic said:

His contract is up.  I don’t know whether DD will be here or not, but the club is going in the direction of younger Management. I can tell you that.

DD is not under contract next year and I think it is time for the club to rebuild with a younger GM.  We are going a new direction so get rid of the guys who have had the game pass them by.  Get a young GM from an Ivy League school who knows stats and get rid of Buck and DD.  

Really DD screwed up on letting Markakis go.  Time to let him go.  

Duquette has always been analytics-focused as well as being involved in the international market.  Those are things he talked about when he joined the Orioles.  However, those are things that the people above him (the Angeles family) weren't interested in pursuing or getting involved in.  When MacPhail left, we had a mass exodus of analytics-based guys who followed him over to Philadelphia.  We never really replaced those guys, in the same vein that Duquette is saying ownership shrugged off international spending.  

Now we've found out what happens when you do those things, and I think we are on a course correction.  Now, we certainly aren't ahead of the curve here, but we are certainly in a better position that a lot of the other teams currently in the bottom of the league, especially after two well-received draft classes.  

This guy, more than Epstein, built the Red Sox for success in 2004 and beyond, and now that we are finally ready to do the things that he's done in the past to build a quality organization, you want him to go?  And part of your relational is a decision that looks like it was based on ownership because they nixed a portion of the deal due to medicals?  You need more than that to convince me DD isn't the right guy to lead the ship with his history as an executive. 

I'd be willing to bet the Angelos sons and Dan have an agreement in place to stay on as GM or maybe President. Seems he is running the initial start of this rebuild and imo is doing a hell of a job. I like the moves he's made and the Brach trade for International bonus money is a good sign they intend to go after international talent (Rumored interest in Mesa). And Dan is talking like he intends to see this thing through.

Archived