DD is not under contract next year and

atomic

13 hours ago, atomic said:

Looked it up and Snider is now playing for the Long Island Ducks in an Independent league with ex-Orioles Lew Ford and Jair Jurrjens as teammates. 

Crazy!  Ford is 41 years old.  He's a player-coach (hitting instructor).

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, atomic said:

His contract is up.  I don’t know whether DD will be here or not, but the club is going in the direction of younger Management. I can tell you that.

DD is not under contract next year and I think it is time for the club to rebuild with a younger GM.  We are going a new direction so get rid of the guys who have had the game pass them by.  Get a young GM from an Ivy League school who knows stats and get rid of Buck and DD.  

Really DD screwed up on letting Markakis go.  Time to let him go.  

Letting Markakis walk was the right move. 30 year old corner outfielder without much power, nor speed, whose only asset on defense was his arm.

While we're on the subject, letting Cruz walk was also the right decision.

This doesn't necessarily mean Duquette should be kept on though. I'm open to replacing him, but I'm certainly not part of the mob demanding their pound of flesh.

2 hours ago, atomic said:

I took DD quote on Adam Jones and just switched the name out.   Are you guys really thinking that I want DD removed because of his age?  If you have a problem complain to DD. 

Woah. DD called Jones older than dirt? That's harsh of him. 

15 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

When @Tony-OH posted his article about the inner workings (Game of Thrones: Warehouse Edition), it was a curious read.

Not because it was new information that confirmed rumblings, but the timing of it. It got picked up (and bastardized) by others who started to do more than leak out that things were going bad.

The timing was strange. The team had no direction, no fire. Then that gets posted and a month and a half/2 months later, there are significant changes.

Talks about an actual rebuild. Saving International Money instead of using it to acquire a guy to DFA a week later. Cutting dead weight (Tillman.) Playing new guys (Fry, Meisinger, Hess, Wynns, Wilkerson, Nunez) and pretty much auditioning them for the future.

If this is how Dan operates when given a chance, let him stay. What we saw the past few seasons may have been Dan being in time out.

I doubt any of that has to do with my article, but things certainly did pick up steam after it was posted. They also are following the plan I laid out which means I'm 100% in support of how things are looking right now.

I'm hopeful about the future of this franchise for the first time in awhile. Now how they handle Duquette and Buck this offseason will explain a lot about where they are going, but it's encouraging to say the least.

3 hours ago, atomic said:

I took DD quote on Adam Jones and just switched the name out.   Are you guys really thinking that I want DD removed because of his age?  If you have a problem complain to DD. 

I think it's completely different when talking about an athlete where age is clearly a factor, especially when discussing a player such as Adam who is both expensive and on the downside of his abilities and a baseball executive who really has nothing to do with age. If you were attempting to be cute and clever by playing with the DD quote... you failed IMO.

17 hours ago, atomic said:

His contract is up.  I don’t know whether DD will be here or not, but the club is going in the direction of younger Management. I can tell you that.

DD is not under contract next year and I think it is time for the club to rebuild with a younger GM.  We are going a new direction so get rid of the guys who have had the game pass them by.  Get a young GM from an Ivy League school who knows stats and get rid of Buck and DD.  

Really DD screwed up on letting Markakis go.  Time to let him go.  

17 hours ago, atomic said:

No underrates Markakis. And that isn't the point of this.  DD tried to leave while under contract.  Yet Adam wants to stay.  DD is old as dirt and he is saying Jones is too old to play.  The trend in the league is to get young GM's out of Ivy league schools.  We should join the modern era.  Leave old school DD behind.  Just like the Red Sox did over 15 years ago and won a bunch of World Series.  

Also Jones most comparable player up to his current age is Andre Dawson who played until he was 41.  And Adam's offensive numbers this year are pretty comparable to his career averages.  

The following is the direct quote from DD and presented by Roch:

Pressed on whether Jones could be back next season, Duquette said, “His contract is up. I don’t know whether Adam will be here or not, but the club is going in the direction of younger ballplayers, I can tell you that.”

My first thought in reading the OP is that I'd be ok if that is what is decided.  But you add things in the post and later posts that go far beyond DD's words on Adam and simply are not true.

DD's quote leaves all of us to assume that Adam Jones may well not return next year but in no way does it imply the game has passed him by or that he is too old to play.  Those are your comments, not Dan's nor anyone else's.

It is an open question whether Jones' leadership fits with the rebuilding ahead.  It is also open to debate his future somewhere besides Baltimore and even centerfield.  I even think turning DD's words onto himself were clever.

But I take issue saying you only turned DD's words around.  DD said no such thing about Adam.  And frankly the debate on Markakis is kinda weird.  Even with the irony of Nick's 4th year being his best and an All Star year to boot, the passing on Nick is highly unlikely to weigh heavily in either direction as to whether DD stays or not.  The vast hole in RF is a separate issue and depending on whose side you believe, the hole is because of bad moves by DD poor signings by DD or signings that were directed by others.

Saying DD has to go because he let Nick Markakis go, four years later...would be like saying Brady has to go because he struck out with Cal on deck in Cal's last game.  The premise may well be correct, but the rationale is merely a personal opinion wielded with an unwarranted personal attack.

I tuned into High Heat as the show was closing and they said Buck could get a manager's job tomorrow if he's fired. Anyone listen to the segment today so I can get some context on what they were talking about or if it was just them talking?

5 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Did Dan truly believe Travis Snider in 2014 was going to be an upgrade to the departing Nick Markakis? 

There were a lot of posters here who thought Snider and the other guys slated for time in RF would do as well as or better than Markakis at less cost.    

1 hour ago, MCO'sFan said:

I think it's completely different when talking about an athlete where age is clearly a factor, especially when discussing a player such as Adam who is both expensive and on the downside of his abilities and a baseball executive who really has nothing to do with age. If you were attempting to be cute and clever by playing with the DD quote... you failed IMO.

Most GM's in baseball are in their early 40's.  Baseball world in general clearly thinks the younger GM's know more about how to run a baseball club than the older GM's like DD. Adam Jones offensive stats have been pretty consistent throughout his career.  I am guessing his OPS ends up being pretty close to career average when the season is over.  

1 minute ago, atomic said:

Most GM's in baseball are in their early 40's.  Baseball world in general clearly thinks the younger GM's know more about how to run a baseball club than the older GM's like DD. Adam Jones offensive stats have been pretty consistent throughout his career.  I am guessing his OPS ends up being pretty close to career average when the season is over.  

The thing you keep neglecting is DD was the first Wonder Boy GM. He is the mold all these "kids" are following. To suggest the game has passed him by is absurd. He's always been analytical, he's always been involved in the Int'l markets and he's made some outstanding trades and built some great teams in Montreal and Boston by doing the thing the "kid GM's are doing".

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

There were a lot of posters here who thought Snider and the other guys slated for time in RF would do as well as or better than Markakis at less cost.    

Seeing Travis Snider as an upgrade over Nick at the time was hard for some of us to see then and certainly impossible to see now.  I do not recall very much enthusiasm on the board for Gerardo Parra, or for Trumbo out in right, or Jimmy Paredes, or Nolan Reimold, or Anthony Santander or Colby Rasmus, etc.    Maybe it was the curse of Nick...lol. 

It was a rather large leap of faith that Snider was going to somehow fulfill his Blue Jay number 14 draft prospect status as he had the exactly one 1.9 WAR season immediately prior to us trading for him...Dan has had a bit of a thing about wayward former number one draft picks.Travis Snider, .Pedro Alvarez, Beckham, Cashner, Rasmus.  

But all of that is now water far under the bridge.  I am certainly very willing now (if the old man is indeed out of the interfering business) to give Dan a shot with ALL due authority (and accountability) for 4-5 years and certainly hope that it goes well for us. 

3 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Seeing Travis Snider as an upgrade over Nick at the time was hard for some of us to see then and certainly impossible to see now.  I do not recall very much enthusiasm on the board for Gerardo Parra, or for Trumbo out in right, or Jimmy Paredes, or Nolan Reimold, or Anthony Santander or Colby Rasmus, etc.    Maybe it was the curse of Nick...lol. 

It was a rather large leap of faith that Snider was going to somehow fulfill his Blue Jay number 14 draft prospect status as he had the exactly one 1.9 WAR season immediately prior to us trading for him...Dan has had a bit of a thing about wayward former number one draft picks.Travis Snider, .Pedro Alvarez, Beckham, Cashner, Rasmus.  

But all of that is now water far under the bridge.  I am certainly very willing now (if the old man is indeed out of the interfering business) to give Dan a shot with ALL due authority (and accountability) for 4-5 years and certainly hope that it goes well for us. 

It isn't that simple and you know it.

He determined that ONE YEAR of Travis Snyder was a better bet than a FOUR YEAR commitment to Markakis. 

It wasn't a matter of who will win me more games this season.

Archived