The Darren O’Day appreciation thread

Frobby

Darren O’Day is certainly one guy I wasn’t expecting to say goodbye to today.    He was a huge piece of our 2012 and 2014 playoff teams.    I always felt confident when he pitched for us.   He pitched 7 scoreless innings for us in the 2012 playoffs and another 1.2 in the 2016 wildcard game.     I loved hearing the O’Day song whenever he entered the game.    Loved watching him scramble over other guys to catch homers in the bullpen.   Loved it when Buck pranked him for riding his solo wheel on the field before a game.    Good luck, Darren, and thanks for the memories.   

I was at Game 4 of the 2012 ALDS, sitting next to perhaps the only two sober and remotely pleasant Yankees fans in the park. Buck went to the bullpen in the eighth with the game tied at one, runners on first and second, one out, and Alex Rodriguez due up; O'Day got the call.

The Yankees fans in the seats next to mine were unfamiliar with most of the Orioles lineup and had been asking me for insights about various players throughout the game. They didn't know O'Day at all and asked me who he was.

"He's the guy who's going to strike out A-Rod," I told them.

Darren O'Day, I will always be grateful to you for having my back.

Yeah this one stings a bit. He was so dominant for such long stretches. The reason we were considered the team with the best bullpen. Hope he wins that WS soon. 

This is the reason I wasn’t disappointed to see Adam stick around. That one is really gonna hurt. Even more than Markakis 

God, I am truly going to miss him. I remember the "Oday oday, oday Oooohhh"! song that we sang, every time he came Into a game.  I loved how he caught home runs in the bullpen. Loved his underhanded style when he pitched. And especially when he shut down opposition batters. 

He was on the 60 day DL, he had just had surgery. It never occurred to me that he would be traded. ?

At least you and Kevin went to the Braves, and you can join with Kevin, Flash, and Nick. Good luck and I hope you go deep into the playoffs. 

It was so calming having DOD at the back end of the pen. He is a former Gator and every time he did his job (which was practically every time) I would text my brother "Go Gators!". His control was just so so good at his peak. And his ability to use that control for the high FB punch out or the frisby curve on the outside corner was just like clock work. And as a submariner he was great against lefties too. Not many like him. Thanks Darren. You will be missed in Birdland. 

Archived