Rosenthal: Orioles are in a state of confusion

Greg Pappas

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, atomic said:

Yeah the team should give some sort of incentive to season ticket holders to re-up. .  It would be different if we had players like Manny Machado coming up next season.  But I don't think there is a single player in the system that you can look at and say he will be a star.  And its not like Basketball or Hockey where a number 1 overall pick steps in on day 1 and dominates.  

Manny Machado wasn't coming up the year that he did. And it wasn't a particularly good year for him in the minors. 

2 minutes ago, atomic said:

Well I guess they can lose 10-0 with that line-up just as easily as any other.  The big question is why do they keep playing Caleb so much.  

He sure has been doing the Rick Dempsey motivational speaking hasn't he. 

39 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

I got a call from my Rep to say hi and  thanked me for filling out the Oriole survey. He tells me it has been a rough year and not sure what will happen next year. They have gotten very little direction from the management. He said might have to find other opportunities  Sounded depressed and tired.Was a strange call but thanked me for my years of having season tickets and filing out the survey.He understood why I have zero  incentive to renew. 

That's sad. For a professional team to seemingly not give a damn. 

41 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

I got a call from my Rep to say hi and  thanked me for filling out the Oriole survey. He tells me it has been a rough year and not sure what will happen next year. They have gotten very little direction from the management. He said might have to find other opportunities  Sounded depressed and tired.Was a strange call but thanked me for my years of having season tickets and filing out the survey.He understood why I have zero  incentive to renew. 

This is very telling.  This ownership is a joke.  I've said it for years.  They fell into this run of success by pure luck, imo.  All the ownership cares about is a$$es in seats.  Mine won't be one.  I reject them and I hope they are forced out by MLB somehow.  They're an appalling embarrassment.

55 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Well that is a trend with the Orioles.  How long has the MASN lawsuit been in litigation?

13 minutes ago, atomic said:

Well I guess they can lose 10-0 with that line-up just as easily as any other.  The big question is why do they keep playing Caleb so much.  

One of Bucks boys.

13 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Well yeah tha

Norfolk Orioles

Mancini and Beckam are the only two in the lineup that never spent time in AAA this year.

The sad part?

Besides Mullins, which one of these guys have a chance of being a significant piece on a competitive Orioles team in the future?

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Mancini and Beckam are the only two in the lineup that never spent time in AAA this year.

The sad part?

Besides Mullins, which one of these guys have a chance of being a significant piece on a competitive Orioles team in the future?

That is hard to say but Villar seems like a decent enough player.  But who knows when the team will be competitive again.   

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

The sad part?

I guess Nunez could stick around. Trey will be gone. Along with everyone else on the field tonight. 

38 minutes ago, atomic said:

That is hard to say but Villar seems like a decent enough player.  But who knows when the team will be competitive again.   

36 minutes ago, weams said:

I think you could assume not next year or 2020.

Right. I like Villar well enough, but I doubt he'll be here when the Orioles are competitive again (whenever that might be).

I have been reading posters on the OH for years talk about how they "can't wait for the rebuild."  Do what the Astros and Cubs did.  Blow it up.   Its the only way to get the high choices and have a chance to rebuild  to win the World Series.

Well, here we are.  Right where you wanted the Orioles.

The Astros lost 111 games in 2013.   Their attendance was 27th in the MLB.  And Houston is the 4th largest cities in the US.   Baltimore does not have have that kind of  drawing power with a small market.   So we should expect low attendance.  Its part of the process that many were praying to happen.

I am sure that John and Lou know that they have to settle the MASN dispute in order to get approved as owners. Peter probably still has a say in that.  So it might take a while to settle.

Whether Dan comes back should be announced shortly after the season ends.   If he is not back a GM/VP of Baseball Ops  search could take a couple of months.  Whats the rush?  The O's are not competing for expensive FA this off season.   Brady can make up a 40 man roster.   If they keep Brian Graham he  can help.   Other then the Rule 5 draft in December I don't expect much adding to the roster.   Non tenders can be decided by Brady and ownership.  They would be marginal players anyway.

So ease back in your chair, don't get excited  and wait for the rebuild to unfold.   By January the O's can decided if they can find trades for Cobb, Givens, Trumbo, Bundy if that is the direction they decide to go.  

Some wanted this to happen.  It will take years to rebuild.  Maybe 3, 4, 5, 6.  It depends on how the young players they acquire mature.   It will take 8 to 10 good ones to form a core of winners.   The last core started with the drafting of Markakis is 2003,  the Jones and Tillman trade in 2008.   And they did not have a good enough core to win until 2012.

Relax and enjoy the rebuild. Expect low attendance.  Expect a lot of losing.  If I live,  I will be here to wait and watch.  How about you?

Archived