The Orioles biggest problem is....Baltimore

thejeff07

5 minutes ago, Getz said:

As someone who doesn't live in the US, can someone explain me why is Baltimore so dangerous compared to other cities?

https://www.businessinsider.com/most-violent-city-every-us-state-fbi-2018-4#1-baltimore-maryland-had-986-violent-crimes-per-10000-residents-40

Check out what city is #1.

Of course no one thinks of Memphis as being particularly dangerous...

I think The Wire has a lot to do with the perception of Baltimore as do the riots.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, SteveA said:

It has had an effect.   Because there are SOME people out there that feel like the original poster.   I know people who are afraid to go in the city.   Those people do exist.   I don't think they are anywhere near the majority, but they do exist.   So it's A factor.   I personally think that it is dwarfed as a factor by Losing.   But it IS a factor.

Absolutely.    I don’t worry at all about security near OPACY, but if it deters 10% of the people who might go, that’s 10% less attendance.   

1 hour ago, thejeff07 said:

No matter how good the Orioles will ever be, when nestled in downtown Baltimore attendance will never reach its peak. I’m a huge Orioles fan who has lived 15 minutes from Baltimore my whole life, but does anybody else not like the idea of traveling to the murder capital to watch an Orioles game? I know I know the area around Camden yards isn’t West Baltimore but it’s still not a great place to take your family.

This might be more of a rant post, but just wanted to throw that out here. Side note, anyone wish we could just move Camden Yards to Annapolis :) hahah

I live hours away, so I ask this genuinely: is there much violence that occurs towards fans before or after the games?  I've never heard of any, but again I don't really get the local Baltimore news much.

41 minutes ago, atomic said:

Attendance is down since the riots.  To think it doesn't have affect on attendance is naive.

OPACY most likely will be packed on opening day and by some miracle they made the playoffs, for a playoff series. If the riots were the reason for bad attendance, should it matter if it’s opening day or the playoffs? Shouldn’t you have the exact same fears? 

8 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

OPACY most likely will be packed on opening day and by some miracle they made the playoffs, for a playoff series. If the riots were the reason for bad attendance, should it matter if it’s opening day or the playoffs? Shouldn’t you have the exact same fears? 

Actually I would expect security to be higher in those situations.

1 hour ago, Getz said:

As someone who doesn't live in the US, can someone explain me why is Baltimore so dangerous compared to other cities?

Baltimore is among only two major US cities which are totally self-governed.  Most other cities are partly controlled by surrounding county. In addition after the 1968 riots the middle class left.  Judges are elected and they let criminals off because they don't want to lose votes from the criminals families.  Heroin use is rampant and there is ton of corruption.

We drive over three hours each way to cheer for the O’s at least twice a year and have never found the area around the Yard to be at all threatening. The declining attendance is due mainly to the team not doing well and the arrival of the Nationals.

29 minutes ago, atomic said:

Baltimore is among only two major US cities which are totally self-governed.  Most other cities are partly controlled by surrounding county. In addition after the 1968 riots the middle class left.  Judges are elected and they let criminals off because they don't want to lose votes from the criminals families.  Heroin use is rampant and there is ton of corruption.

So you really have facts that judges let people off to get criminal family votes? Is that a big bloc to get voted in? Actually most judges want to convict if  evidence is there.If it gets to trail, mostly are jury trials. People get off because people on the jury dont trust the police.I have seen it.

Nah, I don't buy that at all.  I've been going to OPACY since it opened, and I've never felt unsafe.  Now, admittedly I wasn't there during the riots in 2015, but that was one or two days in 26 years.  Blaming fan apathy and attendance on the city is a cop out.

8 minutes ago, Papeete said:

Sorry, there is no correlation between the crime rate in Baltimore and the attendance at OPACY.

Crime is high because of the lack of opportunities for all people in all areas . . . lack of quality of education, lack of employment for less skilled, as well as educated, and other factors that have led people to given up on life.

The attendance at OPACY is low because the Orioles flat out suck due to bad management decisions. As stated by another poster, they have no problem attracted people from other areas (Boston, NY, etc.).

Some people have grown up with no respect for people or life.Some have given up  and others have taken advantage of the situation 

Archived