The Orioles biggest problem is....Baltimore

thejeff07

9 minutes ago, atomic said:

After the riots I was looking at criminal records of people being murdered.  Lots of convictions for crimes and a lot of convictions with 12 year sentences for example with all but one day suspended.  It is the judges letting convicted felons back on the street.  I looked at about 50 people criminal records.  All the data is readily available online. if you don't believe me do your own research.  They report name and age of murder victims in the Sun.  And MD court case search will give you their crime history.  Not all murder victims are criminal but a majority are. Well at least the ones that I researched were.

You can also look at the records of people who commit heinous crimes in the area and look at their criminal history.

I understand what you are saying.The Sun just did a story on the sharp increase in murders in September. City was 27% down till last month.Most are drug and gang related paybacks and then the other side does their payback. Unfortunately, if you look at the Baltimore homicide chart from the Sun online 98% or so is black on black crime Sad but true.I dont think it is totally the judges  Prosecutors throw out cases due to not getting witnesses and worried about a jury conviction People are scared to testify or rather retaliate  themselves 

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, atomic said:

What gets me is every time this comes up you have people saying they go to less games because of crime and other people then reply it isnt a factor.  

Like people don't ever want to listen to anyone else's feelings and instead put their own feelings as fact in regards to everyone.

Agreed  But I have known people even before the riots who would not come downtown 

35 minutes ago, atomic said:

What gets me is every time this comes up you have people saying they go to less games because of crime and other people then reply it isnt a factor.  

Like people don't ever want to listen to anyone else's feelings and instead put their own feelings as fact in regards to everyone.

Here is a fact:

There is very little, if any, crimes AT or in the IMMEDIATE AREA of the stadium/Ravens lot on a daily basis, prior to, during, and after an Orioles game. However, a few blocks in ANY direction is when it starts to get bad and you have issues, including the Inner Harbor. Yes, the riot crap made it's way down there due to...circumstances. That mistake will NOT happen again.

300 West Camden is NOT the same as 2000 East Boone Street, or 1601 West North Avenue (please, do NOT go to those last 2 addresses...)

If you just go to the game, or even to Pickles Pub, you should be perfectly fine. Please don't let the crime stuff (that is usually confined to a few square blocks), ruin an experience in one of the greatest ballparks in Major League Baseball.

If anyone, who has been too afraid to go to an Orioles game lately, wants to go next year, let me know. I will gladly walk with you from your vehicle to the stadium and back if you feel unsafe and highly recommend the $10 parking at the stadium.

This is a ridiculous post. I grew up outside of town and have not lived in Baltimore in 18 years. I took my then 6 month old daughter and wife to a couple of games this spring and we stayed at the Marriott down the road. We walked to and from the games, walked over to Fells Point during the day and ate at Berthas for some nostalgia. I never once felt as though my family was in any danger. 

Maybe if you assume every young black kid with his hat on side ways is carrying a gun, then you might feel unsafe but I don’t know what to tell you if that is your way of thinking. Baltimore is way safer than it was 25 years ago and your murder capital comment makes me think you are stuck in the past. Kind of like nyc had a hard time shaking their bad wrap for a long time. Or people that still think Hondorus is still a war zone even though the revolution ended 20 years ago. 

5 hours ago, thejeff07 said:

No matter how good the Orioles will ever be, when nestled in downtown Baltimore attendance will never reach its peak. I’m a huge Orioles fan who has lived 15 minutes from Baltimore my whole life, but does anybody else not like the idea of traveling to the murder capital to watch an Orioles game? I know I know the area around Camden yards isn’t West Baltimore but it’s still not a great place to take your family.

This might be more of a rant post, but just wanted to throw that out here. Side note, anyone wish we could just move Camden Yards to Annapolis :) hahah

Come on, dude. You can be better than this.

8 minutes ago, sevastras said:

This is a ridiculous post. I grew up outside of town and have not lived in Baltimore in 18 years. I took my then 6 month old daughter and wife to a couple of games this spring and we stayed at the Marriott down the road. We walked to and from the games, walked over to Fells Point during the day and ate at Berthas for some nostalgia. I never once felt as though my family was in any danger. 

Maybe if you assume every young black kid with his hat on side ways is carrying a gun, then you might feel unsafe but I don’t know what to tell you if that is your way of thinking. Baltimore is way safer than it was 25 years ago and your murder capital comment makes me think you are stuck in the past. Kind of like nyc had a hard time shaking their bad wrap for a long time. Or people that still think Hondorus is still a war zone even though the revolution ended 20 years ago. 

I grew up in Baltimore in the Sandtown-Winchester area and spent my summers on 33rd street at my grandmother's place. I was there during the crack cocaine explosion and still managed to graduate from Poly, go to college, to grad school (twice) and now I write TV in the entertainment industry (aka Hollywood). 

I love Baltimore, the people, the teams and the food. There's problems there but if anyone thinks Baltimore is the worst place on Earth needs to visit Los Angeles. There's true depravity and inequality on a level unseen anywhere in the first world. Baltimore is actually one of the few cities I feel completely safe in - maybe it's because I don't have any fear of African-American people. 

MSK 

3 minutes ago, MemorialStadKid said:

I grew up in Baltimore in the Sandtown-Winchester area and spent my summers on 33rd street at my grandmother's place. I was there during the crack cocaine explosion and still managed to graduate from Poly, go to college, to grad school (twice) and now I write TV in the entertainment industry (aka Hollywood). 

I love Baltimore, the people, the teams and the food. There's problems there but if anyone thinks Baltimore is the worst place on Earth needs to visit Los Angeles. There's true depravity and inequality on a level unseen anywhere in the first world. Baltimore is actually one of the few cities I feel completely safe in - maybe it's because I don't have any fear of African-American people. 

MSK 

I would agree with this.  Maybe because we know the city and where it was and is now it is different. But the OP said he has lived 15 minutes away their whole life, so I just don’t get it. Maybe I shouldn’t be commenting on this post, but it really upsets me.  I love this city and think that most people that live or are from their love it as well. 

It is like any other city in the world, be aware of your surroundings and if you start to wonder into a part of town that doesn’t feel right, turn around and get to some where you feel comfortable again. 

Oakland Coliseum is in a pretty iffy neighborhood (go to Google Maps and look at street view around the stadium, lots of homes have bars on the window) , but if you park at the Coliseum or ride the BART, you don't really notice it.  I was just at the A's last home game this Sunday, and have been to other games there and never once felt unsafe. 

Oddly enough, the violent incidents out here involving sports have involved the Giants who are smack dab in one the richest neighborhoods in the US.

Can't edit my post anymore, but would like to amend my statement about violence and sports ... Oakland has had its fare share of violence around the Coliseum (in fact there have been stabbings near the BART station, not necessarily sports related but still), but my point with respect to the Giants is that stuff can happen anywhere. 

Tourism has edged up since the riots. Record amount of tourists in 3016.This weekend will be tons of people around with Fleet week and two days of air shows. So crowded the last big ships and show could barely move.Go down to the Inner Harbor,Fells Point and Fort McHenry, Locust Point area and see how crowded it is this weekend.Crime or no crime 

11 hours ago, Orioles1954 said:

Funny...Boston and New York fans flock to Camden Yards and don't think the stadium area is too dangerous. Bottom line, those not attending because the city is "too dangerous" are wishy washy "fans" who have reservations about going in the first place. 

I agree. I'm sure it's a common experience of Hangouters to hear from fans all across the nation of what an enjoyable experience going to Camden Yards, the Harbor, and Fells Point is or of how much they want to go there because of the great things they've heard. I've heard it 50-60 times at least and not once was the topic of crime or the fear of it raised.

6 hours ago, GuidoSarducci said:

Oakland Coliseum is in a pretty iffy neighborhood (go to Google Maps and look at street view around the stadium, lots of homes have bars on the window) , but if you park at the Coliseum or ride the BART, you don't really notice it.  I was just at the A's last home game this Sunday, and have been to other games there and never once felt unsafe. 

Oddly enough, the violent incidents out here involving sports have involved the Giants who are smack dab in one the richest neighborhoods in the US.

Then there are Dodgers fans beating Giants fans to near death at Dodger stadium. Plus some stabbings. Dodger stadium has gang activity in the outfield stands. Yet they led MLB in attendance. 

8 hours ago, sevastras said:

Or people that still think Hondorus is still a war zone even though the revolution ended 20 years ago. 

According to my Honduran co-worker, who visits about twice a year and was literally just there a week ago, Honduras is still extremely dangerous in certain areas.    Like many places, I suppose.   

Archived