The Victor Victor Mesa/Sandy Gaston thread

Luke-OH

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Thats straight coca-cola this early. :)

As Slowhand once intoned from J. J. Cale, "She don't lie, she don't lie, she don't lie. Cocaine!". 

Since you've jumped on the DD bandwagon if he "gigs" again (I doubt he does), what about Buck?  He was great here, but does his act get another performance?  I doubt that also.  Sad parting note for a good human being. Such an iconoclast!  

Oops, Can was going to school us on the lack of irony .... hijack over.

15 minutes ago, bobmc said:

As Slowhand once intoned from J. J. Cale, "She don't lie, she don't lie, she don't lie. Cocaine!". 

Since you've jumped on the DD bandwagon if he "gigs" again (I doubt he does), what about Buck?  He was great here, but does his act get another performance?  I doubt that also.  Sad parting note for a good human being. Such an iconoclast!  

Oops, Can was going to school us on the lack of irony .... hijack over.

I think Buck is ready for a reduce role somewhere or full-time retirement.

He said a few times on MASN, at some point, you sit down and discuss with the wife, is now the time, like, how much money does one need to finish out their life.

if it wasn't for the fact that basically all the other talent is gone other than Mesa/Gaston, I don' think missing out on Mesa would be a bad thing at all. The more reports come out the more he sounds like a good, not great prospect. I don't think anyone is going to look back in two years and lament not landing him.

3 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

if it wasn't for the fact that basically all the other talent is gone other than Mesa/Gaston, I don' think missing out on Mesa would be a bad thing at all. The more reports come out the more he sounds like a good, not great prospect. I don't think anyone is going to look back in two years and lament not landing him.

Dare I say...

Lewis Brinson > Victor Mesa Mesa

8 hours ago, tntoriole said:

And so, the Nationals being to trade away x dollars to the Marlins because they can’t spend more than 300,000 since they apparently spent too much the last time ...until all the slot amounts get turned in and then they go away and our slot dollars are no longer more than everybody elses...They should just have an international draft system. 

There's no need to put even more money in the owner's pockets and that's all a draft does. It's 'a league wide system to control player costs. These international kids already lose 20/30% of their signing bonus to their "handlers",

29 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

There's no need to put even more money in the owner's pockets and that's all a draft does. It's 'a league wide system to control player costs. These international kids already lose 20/30% of their signing bonus to their "handlers",

It needs to be regulated and a draft indeed will occur. No need to put more money into owners pockets?  Well, the pockets it goes into now are not so lovingly wonderful either. There is a better way in this global market to identify talent, I think that  requiring a  age limit to sign, like 17 or 18 will help as well. 

I see Roch is starting to promote the Gaston kid. Ownership  must have told him to do this since they seem to be losing out in the brothers Mesa sweepstakes.

A talent evaluator from outside the organization raved about Gastón’s upper-90s fastball, improving secondary stuff and understanding of how to pitch. He wondered why the Orioles didn’t sign the young right-hander before leaving Miami, given the lower cost and how the Mesas are considered a package deal with their father, Victor Mesa, pointing them toward the Marlins.

The kid might not be ready to make a decision, but he’d be a terrific consolation prize if the Mesas hunker down in Miami.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/10/new-hire-will-want-to-know-commitment-to-davis-beyond-salary.html

Serious question: Is Victor Victor Mesa even going to be that good?

Sounds like the scouts rated his speed at a 65-70 and his raw power at 50.

His last season in the Cuban league he put up a .644 OPS. When playing for the national team his OPS was even lower.

And the MLB scouts are saying his best major league comp is Albert Alomar from the Cubs. He’s a solid player, but not all that, right? In 2018 he had a .701 OPS, little power, 1 stolen base, and a 1.7 rWAR.

What am I missing here? I hope we get Gaston.

Archived