A Few Questions About Some Former Orioles

TommyPickles

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

Stewart looked very good in his limited audition with the Orioles. I think Jones' days as an Oriole are done. You could find much better defenders for the same or less money than Jones will get in '19. I think the Orioles will sign a fourth outfielder type and let Stewart and maybe even Hays try to win a position. 

Why waste the money? For better or worse I feel like they have a million in house candidates for the OF slots. 

2 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

Stewart looked very good in his limited audition with the Orioles. I think Jones' days as an Oriole are done. You could find much better defenders for the same or less money than Jones will get in '19. I think the Orioles will sign a fourth outfielder type and let Stewart and maybe even Hays try to win a position. 

Neither of them deserve promotions. Regardless of whatever Stewart did in a small sample size in Baltimore. He hit atrociously the last two months in Norfolk and thus shouldn’t be in the majors. 

Didn’t Hays have like a .275 OBP at BOWIE? 

31 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Why waste the money? For better or worse I feel like they have a million in house candidates for the OF slots. 

Oh I agree.  I think they will sign an outfielder or two, but they will be cheap insurance policies. 

5 minutes ago, Matt Bennett said:

Neither of them deserve promotions. Regardless of whatever Stewart did in a small sample size in Baltimore. He hit atrociously the last two months in Norfolk and thus shouldn’t be in the majors. 

Deserve? I care about what's best for the Orioles and the players development, not if it's "deserved". If a promotion isn't going to hurt the development, then so be it. Hays was injured. I think he starts the year in the minors. I think Stewart has a real shot at making the team if he has a good spring training. I also want him in Baltimore because the rookies are fun to watch. This is entertainment after all. I do, however, think the Orioles will sign some stop gap, cheap, insurance type outfielders. But there is no need to spend any real money on an outfielder and definitely not Adam Jones. 

12 minutes ago, Matt Bennett said:

Who cares how he did his last two months in the minors?    He looked solid in his limited major league stint and he will be given a chance to earn a major league job next spring.    He’ll either earn it or he won’t.  

1 hour ago, Matt Bennett said:

You are in favor of being result, and not process, driven?

20 hours ago, Matt Bennett said:

No prospects seem to hit well at Norfolk.  Pitchers park that doesn't provide a good training ground for players who are going to be playing in the American League east in Camden Yards. 

1 hour ago, atomic said:

No prospects seem to hit well at Norfolk.  Pitchers park that doesn't provide a good training ground for players who are going to be playing in the American League east in Camden Yards.  

.738 OPS at home. 724 OPS away.

2 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Exactly,

Manny didnt hit well at Bowie.

I think Hays deserves a long look in ST, and go from there, since he is sure to stay on the 40 man roster. IMO

Machado's OPS approached .800 as a 19 year old at Bowie. Well deserving of a promotion.

19 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

You are in favor of being result, and not process, driven?

I'm in favor of prospects proving they are worthy of being promoted to the next level and not being rushed through because there is no alternative. A 15 game sample size in the majors means nothing compared to the sample size of a whole season.

On 10/18/2018 at 9:15 AM, Frobby said:

I think it remains to be seen how good he’d be in a corner OF spot. Rtot, Rdrs and UZR all ranked him substantially below average in RF.   I’ll cut him some slack because he moved there 2/3 of the way through the season after playing CF exclusively for a decade.    But his foot speed is below average now and there’s no assurance that he’ll be average or better defensively in a corner spot based on the available evidence.  

Better or worse defensively than Trumbo? Delmon Young? Cruz? 

1 hour ago, Matt Bennett said:

.738 OPS at home. 724 OPS away.

Machado's OPS approached .800 as a 19 year old at Bowie. Well deserving of a promotion.

I'm in favor of prospects proving they are worthy of being promoted to the next level and not being rushed through because there is no alternative. A 15 game sample size in the majors means nothing compared to the sample size of a whole season.

You didn't answer my question.

When looking at players do you place an emphasis on results or process?

On 10/18/2018 at 3:31 PM, Matt Bennett said:

Does it really matter though? 

Winning games means very little except for pride at this point. If the prospects are close and have potential than play them in the major leagues. It keeps the team from spending money unnecessarily and you see if the young guys are mlb caliber. 

Archived