TT: Silence of Ownership is Deafening

Tony-OH

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Johnson let go now this comes out. 

I mean how can they let people go if they the person running the show isn’t already there? Makes you wonder if the hires aren’t already running things.  

I agree this is pretty strange.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Part of the interview process is picking the brains of the candidates that you’re talking to.  I think these personnel decisions coming out today are, at least in part, a result of those interviews.

Let’s hope so and it’s not the Angelos brothers or Brady going all cowboy.

1 minute ago, NCRaven said:

Part of the interview process is picking the brains of the candidates that you’re talking to.  I think these personnel decisions coming out today are, at least in part, a result of those interviews.

It makes no sense unless this is all about who has expiring contracts or not to keep some but not others.

The person running things should be making these calls. Why let Johnson go but not other MiL managers? Once again if this is just the people who are on the last year of their deals then I stand corrected. 

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sometimes you regret turning on the lights.

Not as much as I did turning in an Orioles game this past season lol.

Luckily...they can salvage a little if they hire Chaim Bloom as president of baseball operations, since it appears the Mets won't be.

42 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

It makes no sense unless this is all about who has expiring contracts or not to keep some but not others.

The person running things should be making these calls. Why let Johnson go but not other MiL managers? Once again if this is just the people who are on the last year of their deals then I stand corrected. 

Didn't all of these guys have links to Duquette? 

32 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I mean how can they let people go if they the person running the show isn’t already there? Makes you wonder if the hires aren’t already running things.  

There was some talk somewhere last weekend that the #1 guy had been chosen and that now hey were working on him hiring a GM, and that they would announce both at the same time.   So I suppose it's POSSIBLE that there is already someone in there pulling the strings.

20 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

Not as much as I did turning in an Orioles game this past season lol.

Luckily...they can salvage a little if they hire Chaim Bloom as president of baseball operations, since it appears the Mets won't be.

I had heard Bloom was one of two remaining for the Mets job, then I found this

8 minutes ago, SteveA said:

There was some talk somewhere last weekend that the #1 guy had been chosen and that now hey were working on him hiring a GM, and that they would announce both at the same time.   So I suppose it's POSSIBLE that there is already someone in there pulling the strings.

Your puppet master has arrived:

CVtm_yjUAAEfAuL.jpg

33 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

I had heard Bloom was one of two remaining for the Mets job, then I found this

Yes, the Mets are going with the agent as their new GM (who I'm drawing a blank on his name).

I feel like it will be either Cherringron or Colletti unfortunately.

49 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Quite possibly, their contracts expire 10/31 and a decision had to be made.   I think that’s common among front office jobs in baseball.    And the O’s would rather let the new top guys hire their own people than saddle them with holdovers for a year.   

I think everyone who is dissatisfied has perfect reason to be so. But the opportunity to speak which I and others pleaded for was due at the time we got a press release. I agree with those that think now isn’t the appropriate time to speak. But make no mistake the ownership missed a huge opportunity when it chose to make only a press release. 

There are three separate and distinct audiences that would have benefited from a “state of the franchise”. First General fans. They have moved on and wouldn’t be paying attention now anyways. The second audience is MLB. It is entirely possible that ownership is talking to mlb but past history certainly allows anyone to believe that has yet to happen. Finally, those of us here, the hardcore fans. Most of us have in a way already judged ownership and words really wouldn’t matter anyway. 

Of course the hardcore fans here would have benefited most from publicly speaking about the process. We welcomed the news of the rebuild even as we judged the results immediately. We know most of the talent will take years to judge but we have mostly formed our opinions already. 

I do believe the new regime slipped under a pretty low bar. All it would have taken is a cliche filled series of statements that acknowledged the horrible state of 2018 and really almost just read the press release. 

But I have to hold the small modicum of hope that allows the process that has begun silently to work. Yes I fear dissatisfaction and or disappointment but in fairness I would be in that position even IF they had spoken. Action. That is what we have to judge. And for whatever reason, this group has decided that they don’t need to explain the process. If anything they are succeeding by lowering expectations. 

I’m really just kinda numb and I hate that we sit here and throw rocks at each other over details and issues that have existed for years. There is no question that we are in an abysmal situation. I have to choose hope for a brighter future. It has to begin with quality persons hired to run this franchise and without the interference of ownership. And I have to believe that MLB, like us, has had it. So they can get it right or they can sell. 

We win either way. But we have to wait and see how this process runs. Whose got the next round?

Imagine

6 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Sorry Frobby, I disagree completely. Good owners don't just put out a simple statement and then disappear. Maybe you and others have been groomed into thinking this is how ownership works after so many years with Angelos, but the Angelos brothers had a great opportunity to show they are different then their father. they have failed miserably at doing so.

I'm starting to wonder about the theory that even they don't really know who is in charge or even if the team is in the process of being sold (we can all dream right?). 

Regardless, they have failed their fans and the people that work for them wit this deafening silence.

No one cheers for owners.  Nor should they. They are just rich guys that screw things up and get catered to. 

Archived