Ryan Mountcastle - 3B - 2018 #3 Prospect

Tony-OH

6 hours ago, theocean said:

I like Mancini too, but by the time the Orioles are even close to competing - he's going to be a FA or close to it. I think he ultimately ends up being a trade-able asset in the rebuild.

Mancini is a legit Major Leaguer, but he's hardly a front-line starter on a good Major League team.  And what I mean by hardly, is he's not good enough.  

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Mancini is a legit Major Leaguer, but he's hardly a front-line starter on a good Major League team.  And what I mean by hardly, is he's not good enough.  

So what you're saying, if I read between the lines is that he is unquestionably one of our best players.  ?

2 hours ago, Ruzious said:

Little harsh.   Mancini was 3rd in the Rookie of the  Year in 2017.   That shows some value. He was asked to play out of the position he was trained for to benefit the team.    I guess I don't give up on players very fast.

9 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Little harsh.   Mancini was 3rd in the Rookie of the  Year in 2017.   That shows some value. He has asked to play out of the position he was trained for to benefit the team.    I guess I don't give up on players very fast.

I don’t think you need to give up on Mancini to say he’s not a front-line starter on a good major league team.   However, I don’t necessarily agree with the statement, depending what Ruzious meant by “front line starter.”    Put it this way: Mitch Moreland has been a starter on the Red Sox the last two years, and I think he’s a good comp for Mancini, albeit left-handed.    

47 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think you need to give up on Mancini to say he’s not a front-line starter on a good major league team.   However, I don’t necessarily agree with the statement, depending what Ruzious meant by “front line starter.”    Put it this way: Mitch Moreland has been a starter on the Red Sox the last two years, and I think he’s a good comp for Mancini, albeit left-handed.    

But. Left-Handed. 

On 11/9/2018 at 5:44 PM, Frobby said:

Put it this way - Moreland's a bad starting first baseman, and the Sawx have won despite his play; not because of it.  

1 hour ago, Ruzious said:

Put it this way - Moreland's a bad starting first baseman, and the Sawx have won despite his play; not because of it.  

I don’t disagree.   I’m merely saying that even very good teams often have 1-2 starting players who are below average.    Just as long as they’re not Chris Davis bad.

52 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t disagree.   I’m merely saying that even very good teams often have 1-2 starting players who are below average.    Just as long as they’re not Chris Davis bad.

Oh, so all we need to do is put a phenominal team around him.  No problem.  

3 hours ago, Ruzious said:

Oh, so all we need to do is put a phenominal team around him.  No problem.  

You are completely misconstruing what I’m saying.   This started with you saying he couldn’t be a front line starter on a good major league team.   I’m just debating the point that good major league teams have above average starters at every position.   They don’t, or at least, not often.   That’s all I’m saying.  Nobody’s saying that if we want to build a contender, Trey Mancini should be a centerpiece.   

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You are completely misconstruing what I’m saying.   This started with you saying he couldn’t be a front line starter on a good major league team.   I’m just debating the point that good major league teams have above average starters at every position.   They don’t, or at least, not often.   That’s all I’m saying.  Nobody’s saying that if we want to build a contender, Trey Mancini should be a centerpiece.   

You are right, Mancini could, theoretically, be the weak link on a contender.  ?

Man, and I was chastised on another thread for saying that I believe Trey provokes an undue amount of heat on the board, but here is yet another thread where it is seemingly all about Trey’s deficiencies...on a Ryan Mountcastle thread....lol.  

Maybe every thread will devolve to a Trey session...lol.  Unusual...it reminds me of the ubiquitous Nolan Reimold presence in many different threads at once...

Archived