Orioles hire Mike Elias as Executive Vice President and GM

ISU94

2 minutes ago, Curse of the Bamdino said:

Well said. I don't know when Brady underwent this heel turn and devolved into a nigh sinister individual within the organization, but I believe that there's certainly a place for him here, and hopefully this person (or whoever is ultimately named) will help to find it for him.

As for said pending hire, I confess to not knowing much about him, so I'll have to do my Googles. But judging from the reactions I'm seeing here, sounds like I should be pretty excited about this guy.

I think the reason folks are so excited is because, of all the candidates for GM, this guy is about as hard in the opposite direction as you can get. They could have hired Colletti, who isn't bad but in my mind would have represented a kind of middle-of-the-road approach. Elias meanwhile, is leaning HARD into the modern data-driven focus that folks have been clamoring for forever. 

Will it work? Will ownership let him craft us into the next Astros? No idea. But it's exciting purely because the Orioles are usually so ride-the-fence with their tactics or seen to be lacking a vision, and this LOOKS to be (on paper) a step towards a real plan. 

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I dont believe Brady is as evil and sinister as some believe. Some like to throw hate around here, and hide behind the keyboard.

Brady Anderson can be an asset if used correctly and given a clear definite role.  Directors of Conditioning and Diet?  Make him a bench coach?  Maybe a minor league Coordinator for Wellness, Diet, and Conditioning?

4 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

Brady Anderson can be an asset if used correctly and given a clear definite role.  Directors of Conditioning and Diet?  Make him a bench coach?  Maybe a minor league Coordinator for Wellness, Diet, and Conditioning?

I dont even care, if they send him out to get a john hancock on a player contract, as long as the GM has blessed the transaction.

It's pretty astounding the difference 7 years make if this hire is official.  Before Duquette was hired, I commented that the O's had officially hit rock bottom, in my opinion, because they'd been turned down young guys like LaCava and others who'd rather stay in their respective organizations or accept other jobs instead of starting their career with the opportunity to turn around a terrible franchise and leave their mark.  Even after one of the worst seasons in baseball history, the fact we're in a position where somebody now wants to do that is nothing short of a revelation.  I'm not going to proclaim it has to do with the fact that the Angelos sons are in charge or that Peter Angelos isn't in charge, but at some point there has to be even a small possibility of a connection, and the fact remains no young candidate would have realistically taken on the job short of a pay raise if they didn't have a large degree of authority and latitude.  Will this be a good hire, check back in 3-5 years, but for now, on paper, it's a very significant moment for the franchise even if just on a philosophical standpoint.

8 hours ago, Chavez Ravine said:

This has John Angelos written all over it... I think this represents the new ownership decision-making team. If so, we could FINALLY be entering the modern era... and with a pretty decent little farm system already in place. I'm thinking Elias and company will be able to maximize our current crop... add to it (especially internationally) going forward... 

How is this exciting for me as an O's fan? Let me count the ways. 

On the question of autonomy... I would bet that Elias will have complete freedom to build as he pleases. Why? Because this move makes me think PA is totally out of the picture. (I don't think Elias is a typical PA-type hire... he's not old and quirky enough.) And from what I've heard/seen of Jala (John Angelos, Louis Angelos)... or Angelbros... I think they're smart enough to let the baseball people handle those decisions. They themselves represent the next generation... on the ownership side. 

Let the new, glorious age begin! 

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

Moose, you make valid points.

But, surely you can see, the change in climate from the front office, with the shift from the old man to the boys.

Lets give them a chance to see how they do.

Besides, I doubt any MLB GM or president lasts 25 years these days with most teams in the MLB.

Both you and Moose make valid points.  One scenario is what happens in a few years if the team is starting to have success?  At that point does ownership reinsert its self into decision making or over ruling the new mgmt. team?  From the past, initially McPhail was left alone and then it changed.  Dan Duquette was initially left alone and then talked to Toronto and then the interference started.

I agree with Moose, the key is will the new mgmt. team be left alone now and forever?  I get that ownership should have some say in baseball operations.  If I was owner I would set the budget amount and make the decision to exceed it, not how the money is spent.  I would also want veto approval over any contract over X value, over Y Years in length or over Z annual salary.  I would also want veto approval over the decision to blow up the team or still try to contend.  I would stay out of if a trade is good or not and hang up on any agent calling me directly to negotiate.

Archived