How long does your blank check for Elias last?

FanSince88

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Significant progress in talent acquisition in the minors both via draft and international markets.  I don't expect this to be a winning team after two years but I will expect to see things starting to come together. @Ohfan67 summed it up nicely.  He will have had three offseasons (this one, '19-20, '20-21) and two drafts and two international signing periods ('19, '20) to show that he can get a turnaround started. I wouldn't be calling for his head after two years but I'd start to wonder wtf is going on if things aren't demonstrably better.  And since you said we're a dumpster fire (which I agree with), being demonstrably better shouldn't be too big of a task.  

I read two years as two years.  Two offseasons.  Nov 17 2020.

You read it as end of spring training 2020?

For the next three seasons wins and losses don't really matter much to me. In 2019 I fully expect the Orioles to be one of the worst teams in baseball while Elias gets his guys and systems in place. In 2020, I expect more of the same. By 2021 I hope to see some tangible results in regards to player acquisition & progression through the system, along with an overall improved organizational functionality (this one will be hard to judge as a fan) -- but still the wins don't matter much. In 2022 wins matter now and there needs to be a competitive ball club on the field. I think by 2022 there will be enough of a body of work to judge Elias fairly, assuming there is no outside interference from ownership, etc.. If the Orioles played their cards right and Elias rights the ship, 2023 maybe the Birds are a true contender? Long way to go to get there. I'm just happy to see what appears to be a good choice to start the rebuild from new(ish) ownership

• Upvote 2

I don’t think he really gets a blank check at all.    I want to see signs of progress in year one, in terms of filling key positions and seeing some changes in the way things are run.    And I expect that to continue throughout.    But in terms of seeing a winning team on the field, I don’t expect it until year four at the earliest.    I do believe that improvement in the record is likely this year, even if it’s only to 55 games or so, but that’s not how I’ll judge this season.    

I’d love to see some signs that analytics are being used to help existing players and that some of them are responding.    Not necessarily all of them.   This applies in the majors and the minors.

I’d love to see us hiring aggressively in Latin America and making at least a few early signings on July 2.    

And I’d like to see signs that the organization is on the same page, that people are buying in.    And I’d like to see some regular communication to the fans of what the plan is and how it’s being achieved.

• Upvote 3

Andy MacPhail, patron saint of sweater vest wearers, had a résumé as a GM when he took this job.  People focused on the Twins part, and skipped over the latter Cubs entries.  Dan also had experience running two clubs.  Mike's much younger than those two, in his first GM job.  Talk of "blank checks" seems way too premature to me.  I'm certainly not going to point to the W/L record for quite a while.   Good luck, Mike, and welcome to Baltimore.

29 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think he really gets a blank check at all.    I want to see signs of progress in year one, in terms of filling key positions and seeing some changes in the way things are run.    And I expect that to continue throughout.    But in terms of seeing a winning team on the field, I don’t expect it until year four at the earliest.    I do believe that improvement in the record is likely this year, even if it’s only to 55 games or so, but that’s not how I’ll judge this season.    

I’d love to see some signs that analytics are being used to help existing players and that some of them are responding.    Not necessarily all of them.   This applies in the majors and the minors.

I’d love to see us hiring aggressively in Latin America and making at least a few early signings on July 2.    

And I’d like to see signs that the organization is on the same page, that people are buying in.    And I’d like to see some regular communication to the fans of what the plan is and how it’s being achieved.

I agree with this.   Nobody in my life gets a blank check, if that means me holding back on criticism.  Just ask my wife. 

3 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

The trouble is with losing that if the Orioles are still losing in four years, what will attendance be?The average fan wants winning and after five years or so of losing, they will basically ignore the team.Am Analytics are nice but most fans want a winning product. 

I don’t disagree, but it’s not like anyone’s coming in here and waving a magic wand that will turn this team around instantly.   Trying to shortcut the process is how you get to 14 consecutive losing seasons.

11 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Significant progress in talent acquisition in the minors both via draft and international markets.  I don't expect this to be a winning team after two years but I will expect to see things starting to come together. @Ohfan67 summed it up nicely.  He will have had three offseasons (this one, '19-20, '20-21) and two drafts and two international signing periods ('19, '20) to show that he can get a turnaround started. I wouldn't be calling for his head after two years but I'd start to wonder wtf is going on if things aren't demonstrably better.  And since you said we're a dumpster fire (which I agree with), being demonstrably better shouldn't be too big of a task.  

You do realise that a majority of the top international talent already has deals lined for for '19-'20 so that's pretty much a long shot considering our previous regime had basically no presence in that domain. I'm taking this as almost an expansion start up due to PA's negligence  in building the infrastructure among other damage he's incurred during his wrath. The fact Elias and Co. are starting so late I'm not even counting this off-season against them. Then there's the whole MASN debacle that needs to be considered obviously from the financial aspect and how that affects the O's going forward. Just saying there's so many pieces to the puzzle that need to be fixed and if you expecting an ROI from a team that won 47 games this year after Year 2 might be a little short-sighted, that's all.