How long does your blank check for Elias last?

FanSince88

On 8/27/2022 at 9:09 AM, Bahama O's Fan said:

If we plan on really contending  I want two starters.

So you have Means, Bradish, Rodriguez, Kremer. If they are serious about putting Wells back in the rotation that’s 5. In your opinion is McDermott ready? I think Johnson needs a year at AAA and Povich needs to lower his era in the minors first.

Now, if they are trading Means 1 year before free agency that is the only way you need 2. Plus I don’t see Angelos paying for 2. Further, I’d rather see them invest that money in extensions for Gunnar and possibly Adley. 

I really think you are dreaming ….. They probably will be bargain hunting to do it. Would you be happy with bringing Gibson back and a Lyles type. To expect Angelos to open the purse is a pipe dream imo.

Edited by Roll Tide
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Agreed. I don't know if Elias will take it though. 

Whenever his contract is up, he will be worth an absolute S-ton of money and may want a new challenge if the Orioles win a World Series.

I hope not. I hope he just wants to see how many WS he can win. But the lure will be there and I doubt Angelos will pay him what he's worth.

True, a WS win solidify him an elite GM.  And he could command a huge salary.  But it is also possible, that if he thinks this group could win multiple titles, he may want to be here for that..at least that is what I am hoping is the case.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

He did grow up an Orioles fan, right? Maybe that counts for something.

He at least grew up in NoVA pre-Gnats. I went to Greenbriar West with him for three years (4th-6th), and while I don't remember him rocking Orioles gear regularly, I know we both grew up in a situation where they were the local team with Cal being a legit superstar. I know how it went for me, at least lol

27 minutes ago, foxfield said:

True, a WS win solidify him an elite GM.  And he could command a huge salary.  But it is also possible, that if he thinks this group could win multiple titles, he may want to be here for that..at least that is what I am hoping is the case.

I think we all have to hope that. 

The other thing is that some of his "VPs" may become hot commodities as well. Depending on how much teams view Ciolek as the true Scouting Director over Elias, he could also be gone. 

Why am I waiting for the wine & dine discussion to begin...  I wouldn't be shocked if the contract was for the timeframe Elias said it would take to complete the turnaround of this organization, within reason (say, 5 years?).  IMO, he loves chess and a challenge to have a legacy of doing what he did here.  This outweighs where he grew up.  The money will come... as it should. 

I hope I am wrong and maybe he and Sig want the challenge to keep building a successful, small franchise.    

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Agreed. I don't know if Elias will take it though. 

Whenever his contract is up, he will be worth an absolute S-ton of money and may want a new challenge if the Orioles win a World Series.

I hope not. I hope he just wants to see how many WS he can win. But the lure will be there and I doubt Angelos will pay him what he's worth.

I think that you have to assume that his contract runs concurrent to Hyde's and if Hyde had a 3 year plus an option on '22 that was executed he likely signed at least another 3 year deal which takes you through 2025 maybe 2026 if there is an option. 

JA also stated "Elias is the highest paid first time GM in baseball "and before agreeing to join the Orioles was also being courted aggressively by the San Francisco Giants".   As per the JA filing (since rescinded), Elias only chose to join the Orioles because Baltimore "codified" several things in his contract that gave him the power to make staffing decisions without ownership involvement."

Georgia Angelos vs Louis Angelos complaint - DocumentCloud

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I think we all have to hope that. 

The other thing is that some of his "VPs" may become hot commodities as well. Depending on how much teams view Ciolek as the true Scouting Director over Elias, he could also be gone. 

Well the other consideration is the tank model is harder to do now that it doesn’t guarantee top picks.

17 hours ago, foxfield said:

I can see why people would say a WS win would solidify him as an elite GM but as pointed out the playoffs are a crap shoot. Elias isn’t at fault if the pitching craps the bed or if the bats go cold. 

He already is elite. He’s stocked this franchise with more good young talent than we could have hoped. As long as the Orioles keep making the playoffs and as long as he keeps good talent coming through the system that’s what he’ll be judged on. In addition to being at the vanguard of how to pick up guys like O’Hearn, etc., that’s important too. 

On 9/30/2023 at 8:40 AM, wildcard said:

I know there is a general low opinion of JA but I will give him credit for one thing.   It appears that he allows Elias to run the baseball operation with very little interference.   Much less than his father inferred.  If JA is smart enough to do that maybe he is smart enough to understand how key Elias is to the money flow and will cut him in on part of the profits.

You think Elias just wants to be the second lowest payroll in baseball?