Elias' Brady comments (Connolly article)

tntoriole

2 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Brady Anderson is most certainly behind Singleton (and several other players) in the pecking order of all time greats. He's much closer to getting a bobblehead than he is a statue outside of the stadium. 

You could argue Singleton/Anderson either way, if you are speaking of their Orioles career only.    Anderson was worth 35 WAR as an Oriole, Singleton 30. But Anderson was here 14 seasons to Singleton’s 10.    Both were 3-time all stars here; Singleton had 3 top 10 MVP finishes (including a 2nd and 3rd) to Anderson’s 1 (9th).  I’ll give Singleton the nod, but it’s not a no-brainer IMO.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, weams said:

These are the smart folks.

nevadaO
nevadaO
January 16, 2016
Tx Oriole
Tx Oriole
January 17, 2016
Ruzious
Ruzious
January 18, 2016
ShaneDawg85
ShaneDawg85
January 16, 2016
ricowiz
ricowiz
January 16, 2016
utvolzac
utvolzac
January 16, 2016
paulcoates
paulcoates
January 16, 2016
AnythingO's
AnythingO's
January 16, 2016
Lucky Jim
Lucky Jim
January 16, 2016
theobird
theobird
January 18, 2016
O's are Legends
O's are Legends
January 16, 2016
Can_of_corn
Can_of_corn
January 16, 2016
Tryptamine
Tryptamine
January 16, 2016
webbrick2010
webbrick2010
January 17, 2016
Barnaby Graves
Barnaby Graves
January 16, 2016
Il BuonO
Il BuonO
January 16, 2016
pwhite
pwhite
January 16, 2016
Plutarch
Plutarch
January 16, 2016
Creamsicle
Creamsicle
January 18, 2016
OsJimmy
OsJimmy
January 16, 2016
Otter
Otter
January 17, 2016

========================
mazarelo
mazarelo
August 11, 2017
DirtyBird
DirtyBird
September 20, 2017
Luke-OH
Luke-OH
September 20, 2017
stockpile
stockpile
September 20, 2017
allquixotic
allquixotic
September 20, 2017
Triple Crown
Triple Crown
September 20, 2017
LookinUp
LookinUp
September 20, 2017
Odenton Mike
Odenton Mike
September 20, 2017
Yardball85
Yardball85
September 20, 2017
$Greatness$
$Greatness$
September 21, 2017
semicolt
semicolt
September 21, 2017

Everybody below the dotted line threw in their vote more than a year and a half after the thread was started.    Those votes shouldn’t count.   It didn’t take a genius at that point to see that the contract was headed towards disaster.    

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Everybody below the dotted line threw in their vote more than a year and a half after the thread was started.    Those votes shouldn’t count.   It didn’t take a genius at that point to see that the contract was headed towards disaster.    

Ah. Good catch.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Then these are the smart folks. 

These are the smart folks.

nevadaO
nevadaO
January 16, 2016
Tx Oriole
Tx Oriole
January 17, 2016
Ruzious
Ruzious
January 18, 2016
ShaneDawg85
ShaneDawg85
January 16, 2016
ricowiz
ricowiz
January 16, 2016
utvolzac
utvolzac
January 16, 2016
paulcoates
paulcoates
January 16, 2016
AnythingO's
AnythingO's
January 16, 2016
Lucky Jim
Lucky Jim
January 16, 2016
theobird
theobird
January 18, 2016
O's are Legends
O's are Legends
January 16, 2016
Can_of_corn
Can_of_corn
January 16, 2016
Tryptamine
Tryptamine
January 16, 2016
webbrick2010
webbrick2010
January 17, 2016
Barnaby Graves
Barnaby Graves
January 16, 2016
Il BuonO
Il BuonO
January 16, 2016
pwhite
pwhite
January 16, 2016
Plutarch
Plutarch
January 16, 2016
Creamsicle
Creamsicle
January 18, 2016
OsJimmy
OsJimmy
January 16, 2016
Otter
Otter
January 17, 2016

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Matusz has one.

I always wonder if dudes that are only marginally involved with a championship run wear their rings. I’d have to think that they’d wear it to show it off, but then would have to admit their specious claim to greatness to anyone that was curious.

”well I wasn’t actually IN the Super Bowl, you see, but I was on the practice squad...”

”so you were on the bench right?”

”well sort of, our local bar has benches and not bar stools, and I had my jersey on”

I’m sure Matusz and his 18.00 ERA are thrilled to be part of history.

6 hours ago, foxfield said:

Yes and Singleton McNally and Cuellar won WS rings in Baltimore.  Brady was a good player and in terms of WAR perhaps he was move valuable as an individual player.  But I'm pretty sure he didn't win 20 games in one season and a ring.  And while his 50 HR season was magical, my memory isn't of that contributing to a WS.  And as noted above, Bobby Grich was and should be held in higher esteem both here and in baseball.

Of course that is my opinion.  Winning matters.  It seems that's why they keep score.

I was shocked when a few years ago I saw he only got 2.3 percent of the hall of fame vote the one year he was eligible.  And he was a better player than Roberto Alomar who got 90 percent of the vote.  

On 12/1/2018 at 10:11 PM, LookitsPuck said:

I have 2 thoughts on what's going on with Brady.

First, it's clear Brady Anderson is a talented individual. You don't stick around for as long as he did with an evolving responsibility set if you're not talented. I'll never agree with anybody here that calls him incompetent. Listening to the man speak when he would be on 105.7/1090, it was very clear that not only was Brady a student of the game, but one that started evolving with it. I recall at least a few occasions where he was talking the talk re: sabermetrics. There are players (both former and current) that buy into it, and I think Brady is a sharp enough fellow to have the business smarts and the player smarts to put it together.

I think Brady is a well liked individual because he is certainly capable. I don't take what Elias said about Brady lightly. It wasn't just a one off sentence that provided cover for him. No, it was a slew of sentences praising the capability of him.

Now, to that end...let's look at this from an ownership perspective. Guys like Duquette, Rajsich and Graham...not exactly household names for Orioles fans young and old. However, players like Ripken, Robinson, Palmer and, yes, Brady Anderson...these are all Baltimore household names. We've seen over the years that the club (generally speaking) takes care of its icons. So it's very possible that Elias *may* want to get his own guys (and let Anderson go), but ownership let Elias know how valued Anderson is as a former star for the O's who has put pretty much his entire life into the Orioles as a player and as an executive type. So, it's possible they told Elias to give Brady x number of months, to work out a possible role, but if at the end of that time period it's not working out and/or the role/responsibilities isn't in line with what Elias and Brady want...then to have a proper sendoff instead of letting him go prior to the holidays.

So, yeah. I like Anderson a lot. I also want Elias to hire and run the organization as he deems fit. If we're looking at how things are going now: Duquette gone, Showalter gone, Rajsich gone, Graham gone, Elias hired, Mejdal hired on and new job postings around expanding the analytics department...we're seeing true movement that we really haven't seen before. Yes, Anderson is left, but if we're going to bugaboo the organization/Elias because Anderson is still around...then you're not paying attention and/or you have some form of Angelos PTSD.

I have all the faith in the world of Elias and the Angelos sons are starting to gain my respect, too. And if, say, come April Anderson is still around...maybe people should just accept the fact that Anderson is perhaps a valuable asset regardless of the regime in office.

Fin.

Well put. I’d also like to add that having household oriole names could sell some seats at the park in a known upcoming losing season which we need to sell whatever we can sell. 

Brady doesn’t come off as incompetent as well. He was the most progressive out of all the former guys which is why he may still be here. Those other guys that supposedly “were the problem”, didn’t do their job like people that were willing to adapt. They were very old school, wether they were forced into that I have no say but a breath of fresh air was needed to revitalize this team, maybe they feel like Brady can breathe that fresh air too, whereas Duquette (etc) were stuck in their ways way too deep. Just my thoughts on that 

15 hours ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Source? As far as I know that hasn’t happened. The OH has simply speculated things into existence because it fits a narrative.

This is my point. And wasn’t Ken like bitter towards the orioles or something? It’s kens opinion in his stories as much as he says it’s from “sources”. 

I can see where you could draw the line, I’m not ignorant, but we should stick to the facts and draw from there instead. 

12 hours ago, tntoriole said:

How many World Series rings did Brady have?  

12 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Matusz has one.

9 hours ago, Enjoy Terror said:

I always wonder if dudes that are only marginally involved with a championship run wear their rings. I’d have to think that they’d wear it to show it off, but then would have to admit their specious claim to greatness to anyone that was curious.

”well I wasn’t actually IN the Super Bowl, you see, but I was on the practice squad...”

”so you were on the bench right?”

”well sort of, our local bar has benches and not bar stools, and I had my jersey on”

I’m sure Matusz and his 18.00 ERA are thrilled to be part of history.

Do we actually know that Matusz got a World Series ring from the Cubs for his one game of work?

Archived