Elias' Brady comments (Connolly article)

tntoriole

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Frobby said:

I love weams, but don’t believe he has any insider knowledge on this, or that he claims to.    He has stated that Davis doesn’t look as big as he used to.   I don’t know about that.    He’s certainly not hitting like he used to, but I can’t say that lack of strength or strength workouts are the cause.   

I have NO inside knowledge. He looks smallish. For a big guy.

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I loved Dave McNally, and yes, he performed when the chips were down and earned his rings.    But it’s dangerous to judge a player, including pitchers, by whether they won a ring.   I mean, was McNally a better pitcher than Ferguson Jenkins?   Mike Mussina?     His teammates put him in position to do what he did, along with his own contributions.    

Was McNally a better player than Anderson for the Orioles?    It’s apples and oranges, really.   Personally, I’d say no, but it can be argued either way.    

Good points - it is a sensitive issue also.  I can recall when Drungo came out in the past century about Bill James' stats and many here poopoohed his concepts of judging players by their non-ERA, BA stats like BABIP and UZR.  "Wadda ya mean Cal sucks because he GIDP so much and his BABIP is high?"

Just kidding a bit, but the new crew here would say, as weams has, that Brady WAS better than McNally because of those goldurn stats!

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I loved Dave McNally, and yes, he performed when the chips were down and earned his rings.    But it’s dangerous to judge a player, including pitchers, by whether they won a ring.   I mean, was McNally a better pitcher than Ferguson Jenkins?   Mike Mussina?     His teammates put him in position to do what he did, along with his own contributions.    

Was McNally a better player than Anderson for the Orioles?    It’s apples and oranges, really.   Personally, I’d say no, but it can be argued either way.    

Metrics state that Brady was as valuable (or more) to his teams as Dave was to his. I'm uncertain. It's possible that it is because Dave pitched in an era when Bob Gibson was sporting 1..18 and Denny was winning 30. 

1 minute ago, weams said:

Corn. I said he looks small and lost bats speed. I said I did not know what he stopped doing. 

I don't know.

I sure do think so.

Mind you I don't think he does nothing, just not what he needs to.

He looks smaller, he's lost bat speed and foot speed at a faster rate than would be expected due to aging.

Seems like the simplest answer.

1 minute ago, bobmc said:

Good points - it is a sensitive issue also.  I can recall when Drungo came out in the past century about Bill James' stats and many here poopoohed his concepts of judging players by their non-ERA, BA stats like BABIP and UZR.  "Wadda ya mean Cal sucks because he GIDP so much and his BABIP is high?"

Just kidding a bit, but the new crew here would say, as weams has, that Brady WAS better than McNally because of those goldurn stats!

Brady was a good player. He would do well in today's game. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't know.

I sure do think so.

He looks smaller, he's lost bat speed and foot speed at a faster rate than would be expected due to aging.

We need to ask Kenny!

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't know.

I sure do think so.

And get his TUE altered back to the original prescription Adderal as Vyvanse just isn't cutting it!  ?  Plus a little "B-12" .  We kid because we ?!

11 minutes ago, bobmc said:

And get his TUE altered back to the original prescription Adderal as Vyvanse just isn't cutting it!  ?  Plus a little "B-12" .  We kid because we ?!

I don't think you can crush Vyvanse the same way. 

1 hour ago, weams said:

Metrics state that Brady was as valuable (or more) to his teams as Dave was to his. I'm uncertain. It's possible that it is because Dave pitched in an era when Bob Gibson was sporting 1..18 and Denny was winning 30. 

Modern metrics, applied decades after the fact, have determined that Orioles pitchers from that era benefitted from pitching in a spacious ballpark and from having a spectacular defense behind them, and thus don’t give our pitchers the credit one might otherwise think is due.   On an intellectual level I get that, but as a fan I feel that Palmer, McNally and Cuellar were huge contributors to the most dominant teams in Orioles history.   To me 25 WAR for McNally just feels way low, even if the metrics are soundly reasoned.  

Archived