Elias will be active in the free agent market this off season

wildcard

4 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

The only year he was fine was 2017. And there were lots of underlying red flags that pointed to that year being a fluke. I really just think he's not a good pitcher and you compound that issue by putting him in the AL East. Signing him was a terrible decision and one that I suspect Brady was heavily involved in. I distinctly remember Cashner thanking Brady (not Dan) when he signed. 

I was relieved when they got rid of Wade Miley but then they went ahead and got Cashner.  It's pretty much the same thing, down to the beard and stupid hair.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Get off the kick Brady kick, Brady was just the tool the organization used as a go between to get him signed on the dotted line. I know, I can be dead wrong here. Lets see what happens under Elias. If Elias is as smart as we all think he is, then there must be a reason Brady is still here. No, I dont buy that crap, that Brady is untouchable.

I think Peter basically put Duquette in a box after the Blue Jays incident and I suspect Brady was much more involved than any of us will ever know until the brothers took over the reigns. Like I said, Cashner specifically thanks Brady. Where there's smoke there's fire. All this is a moot point. I'd prefer if they fired him, but as long as he isn't calling any shots I really don't care what they do with him. 

17 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Get off the kick Brady kick, Brady was just the tool the organization used as a go between to get him signed on the dotted line. I know, I can be dead wrong here. Lets see what happens under Elias. If Elias is as smart as we all think he is, then there must be a reason Brady is still here. No, I dont buy that crap, that Brady is untouchable.

I agree with this. Always thought that Brady was just a negotiator. A closer because he had an "in" with the players because he was a player.

52 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I think Peter basically put Duquette in a box after the Blue Jays incident and I suspect Brady was much more involved than any of us will ever know until the brothers took over the reigns. Like I said, Cashner specifically thanks Brady. Where there's smoke there's fire. All this is a moot point. I'd prefer if they fired him, but as long as he isn't calling any shots I really don't care what they do with him. 

I agree, but remember. DD also was quoted about how Brady his request had gone and visited both Cashner and Cobb and credited him with getting the deal done.

Does that really sound like a guy running his own agenda?

If Brady had acted on his own, I am sure, talk would have reach Elias and Elias not being stupid, would send Brady packing, or say, we are good, as long as you know, I am in charge, and you work for me.

39 minutes ago, scOtt said:

I agree with this. Always thought that Brady was just a negotiator. A closer because he had an "in" with the players because he was a player.

I am sure other teams do this too. I suspect college recruiting trips are the same way. Head Coach sits home and lets his assistants, deal with travel, hotels and home visits.

2 hours ago, jamalshw said:

How does Lowrie fit in all of this? One of Lowrie and LeMahieu have to go to Milwaukee, right? I'm skeptical of them moving Shaw to 2B for the full season and going with Moustakas or the like. Who else is really in the market for a 2B? There are options, but there don't seem to be too many really good ones.

I haven’t studied the Brewers that carefully, but they have a kid in the minors, Keston Hiura, who is close to major league ready.    He spilt his season between A+ and AA (.911/.755 OPS) and then thrashed the AFL (.934).    I don’t think they can count on him breaking camp with the big club, but it won’t surprise me if he does.    Fangraphs graded him a 60 and he’ll probably be a top 10 prospect on some of the lists this spring.   

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I haven’t studied the Brewers that carefully, but they have a kid in the minors, Keston Hiura, who is close to major league ready.    He spilt his season between A+ and AA (.911/.755 OPS) and then thrashed the AFL (.934).    I don’t think they can count on him breaking camp with the big club, but it won’t surprise me if he does.    Fangraphs graded him a 60 and he’ll probably be a top 10 prospect on some of the lists this spring.   

Hiura might get a look in spring training, but don't sleep on the man, the myth, the legend that is Corey Spangenberg!

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I was relieved when they got rid of Wade Miley but then they went ahead and got Cashner.  It's pretty much the same thing, down to the beard and stupid hair.

I think Elias throws up in his mouth a little when he hears the phrase "pitching to contact".  That's refreshing.

7 hours ago, jamalshw said:

How does Lowrie fit in all of this? One of Lowrie and LeMahieu have to go to Milwaukee, right? I'm skeptical of them moving Shaw to 2B for the full season and going with Moustakas or the like. Who else is really in the market for a 2B? There are options, but there don't seem to be too many really good ones.

Lowrie to the Mets for 2/$20 mm.

More generally, it seems like the market is starting to move.

10 hours ago, NCRaven said:

He means that they will trade Cobb and then Davis will be left and make more than the rest of the team combined.

Now that's scary. What an albatross CD is to this organization. And they have to carry this guy 4 more years? 

26 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Some of the higher FAs under Manny and Harper are waiting for those two to drop, hoping it helps their market value numbers.

I think that much like last off season the FA that signed early will end up doing the best.

Obviously I am not including the big two.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think that much like last off season the FA that signed early will end up doing the best.

Obviously I am not including the big two.

IMO, I think you are right.

However, from that wont stop the agents from whispering in the FA ear, that waiting for Manny and Harper will help their cause.  Some people can be a little bit greedy when it comes to the almighty dollar.

Archived