Roster thoughts

wildcard

15 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

KC signed Hamilton yesterday. 

Ah, I last read they were close. Didn’t realize it had happened already. I don’t think they’ll be signing any free agents for a while anyways. It will probably be whoever is left in Feb/March. Wouldn’t it be funny if that was Adam Jones lol. I hope not, for Adams sake.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, interloper said:

Agree with pretty much everything here. My only thought is that if Hays impresses in ST, he could bump Rickard and serve as the other half of the CF platoon, with Rickard (or someone else - I'm not convinced Rickard sticks in this organization for much longer) serving as more of a 5th outfielder. 

Stewart appears to be somewhat blocked by Davis/Trumbo, and I'd love to get more a look at him in LF. He played well at the end of the season while Davis was getting benched. Moving Trumbo would help immensely from a roster-crunch perspective. 

I agree on Hays.  But I  do think that his service time could be an issue and waiting until July so they can get an  exact year could be part of the thought process.  

Rickard has two options.    He could be up and down this season.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

It's interesting that Susac is still on the 40-man but I figure he will either be eventually DFA'd this offseason, or they will keep him to have another ST catcher. Buck always wanted at least 4, IIRC. If he's healthy, you might as well use him for a little while in ST. 

Susac may come off the roster after they see if Cervenka is taken in the Rule 5 draft.

Fun thread, though I'm guessing the lineup and 25 man roster at mid-season will be very different from the beginning of the season - particularly with all the OF prospects at AAA.  And it might be unwise to sign a free agent OF of any substance/contract because of that.    

56 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Good post! I'd personally like to see Sisco get another shot to prove his worth behind the dish. We're playing for the future and we need to find out if he's part of that or if it's time to move on. 

Do you have Trumbo penciled in as the primary DH? I'd like to see them sign a MI (ideally a SS so we can push Villar to 2B), but I really don't think there's a RF need. We have enough internal options, for better or worse. Otherwise looks good!

If we're making predictions I think they'll sign a MI, back end of the rotation SP, and possibly  veteran catcher and call it a day. 

Yes, on Trumbo.  I didn't realize I had not included him until to asked.  Thanks.

18 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I agree on Hays.  But I  do think that his service time could be an issue and waiting until July so they can get an  exact year could be part of the thought process.  

Rickard has two options.    He could be up and down this season.

15 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Susac may come off the roster after they see if Cevenka is taken in the Rule 5 draft.

Great points.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I’m exhausted just reading wildcard’s post!   It is well thought out but I’ll worry about it after seeing what offseason moves we make and how spring training goes.    

I think it would be a long 3 years if didn't find a way to get at least interested in the rebuild.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I think it would be a long 3 years if didn't find a way to get at least interested in the rebuild.

Oh, I’m plenty interested in the rebuild.   Not so interested in most of the players on next year’s roster — at least, most of the guys who are in the organization at this moment, except a few of the younger guys.  

3 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Good post! I'd personally like to see Sisco get another shot to prove his worth behind the dish. We're playing for the future and we need to find out if he's part of that or if it's time to move on. 

Do you have Trumbo penciled in as the primary DH? I'd like to see them sign a MI (ideally a SS so we can push Villar to 2B), but I really don't think there's a RF need. We have enough internal options, for better or worse. Otherwise looks good!

If we're making predictions I think they'll sign a MI, back end of the rotation SP, and possibly  veteran catcher and call it a day. 

My thoughts as well.

4 hours ago, bobmc said:

He gone to KC!

More importantly re: Hamilton and any other free agents like him. They will only be acquired if:

1. They are deemed to be part of a future contending team, or;

2. They are dirt cheap, or;

3. We have a reasonable chance of flipping for prospects (much more unlikely category). 

Hamilton is cheap by ML terms, but not dirt cheap. I get the impression that we would literally rather play a High-A level CF over paying someone $5 million to join this team for a year or two. I hope that is the case. Just say no to anyone who you don't think will be nearing their prime and valuable in 3 years unless they are dirt cheap.

13 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

More importantly re: Hamilton and any other free agents like him. They will only be acquired if:

1. They are deemed to be part of a future contending team, or;

2. They are dirt cheap, or;

3. We have a reasonable chance of flipping for prospects (much more unlikely category). 

Hamilton is cheap by ML terms, but not dirt cheap. I get the impression that we would literally rather play a High-A level CF over paying someone $5 million to join this team for a year or two. I hope that is the case. Just say no to anyone who you don't think will be nearing their prime and valuable in 3 years unless they are dirt cheap.

Hamilton also isn't an everyday player, a lesson that KC apparently didn't learn with Jarrod Dyson. 

Lol, way too early to be thinking about the roster, especially in the midst of a rebuild.

I would really like to see Mancini not in LF. He should be platoon with Davis at 1B and DH vs LHP. If we can't get anything for Trumbo, why not just release him and use the roster space to evaluate more players and play some guys who can help the pitchers? Even if he puts up 20 HR in the first half, what does he realistically bring back? Nobody is going to give up an elite prospect for a rental of Trumbo who cannot play defense and is low OBP/high K.

I guess Valera may be the best option at 2B. I believe he has one option left so he could be swapped out if he doesn't produce. I think our 2B/SS may come from the Rule 5, either Martin or Jackson. We'll see. Villar at SS also makes sense to build his trade value.

I think Sisco has to get another chance at C. Could DH some if Trumbo is gone.

What about DJ Stewart in RF? With Mullins in CF and Rickard in LF, it's not a great defensive OF but better than we've had, and I don't really care about service time for any of those three. Let Hays play his way onto to the team later in the year.

I don't see much to get excited about in Rio. I would think he is more of an insurance plan with Nunez the presumptive starter.

5 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

If Elias find a way to get rid of both then I'm going to start an online petition to legally change his name to Jesus. 

We did the "Jesus" thing here once...but if somehow 2019 began with both Trumbo and Davis off the roster...Elias would certainly be elevated to at least Superhero status.

Archived