Orioles select SS Richie Martin with 1st pick of Rule 5 Draft

weams

5 hours ago, Ruzious said:

I've said it before (to no reaction) - a player I would try to trade for is Johan Camargo (age 25) of the Braves.  He came up as a solid defensive SS right behind studs Dansby Swanson and Ozzie Albies, so he got moved to 3B.  He had a helluva year there in 2018 - only to see the Braves trade for Donaldson and that they had a stud 3rd base prospect (Riley) ready.  So, he got stuck on the bench this year, was probably very unhappy about it, and stunk when he got to play.  He even got sent down to AAA for a stretch - where he destroyed AAA pitching (in albeit small sample size theater).  But since then, it looks like he might have lost his post-season roster spot to Hechavarria.  I think he would love a chance to play every day for the Orioles - particularly at SS.  Braves will try to re-sign Donaldson in the offseason - Camargo is blocked everywhere.  Braves aren't going to give him away, but I'm thinking Givens and either Severino or Sisco might git er done.      

I haven't seen him play but the stats and how he's been played in the majors suggests he's more a 3B than SS. Saying that, I'd give up Givens and Sisco for him and try him at 3B.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, MDtransplant757 said:

I think if Villar gets traded, Martin is the starting SS for the Orioles next year barring the Orioles getting someone back that could replaces Villar and Martin. Villar I think could go to the Nationals in a trade depending on whether Rendon stays. If Rendon stays, Kieboom will most likely go to 2B, if not then Kieboom profiles well at 3B. Boston could be as well because who knows if Pedrioa will ever come back, and Villar is a cheap bat and fills a hole at 2B.

What we'd get back for them, probably not a whole lot since their systems are weak and their really the only teams off the top of my head that could use 2B help. Probably depends on how desperate each team is to compete still, considering Boston's expiring window and no idea whether Mookie betts will stay after this coming season. 

What does the strength of their system have to do with the prospects he would bring back.  As the O's found out with Manny, teams with top prospects just put those prospects off limits in trade talks.  The O's might be lucky to get someone in Boston's top 10 prospects, probably top 20 for a team like LA or Atlanta. 

10 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

What does the strength of their system have to do with the prospects he would bring back.  As the O's found out with Manny, teams with top prospects just put those prospects off limits in trade talks.  The O's might be lucky to get someone in Boston's top 10 prospects, probably top 20 for a team like LA or Atlanta. 

Problem is that Atlanta and LA have no need for Villar. Strengh of system plays a big part in who we trade where due to the prospects we'd get back. If the Red sox say no to their 3 or 4 actual prospects, then no trade probably happens. Hence why Trey, Givens and Villar were kept at the deadline. 

Why is it a given to send Martin down?  Service clock reasons for the long haul?  I’d be down with that, but if we get rid of Villar, I think Martin is our OD SS. I don’t think it’s worth a 40 man spot to pick up whatever option that would be available to be our SS and keep Martin in AAA. Then we’d be sacrificing two 40 man spots for players with low ceilings. Just not worth in IMO. 

On 10/1/2019 at 2:29 PM, Tony-OH said:

Martin slashed .279/.315/.397/.712 over the last two months of the season but Hyde did a good job of making sure he had good matchups. I think he goes back to AAA next year, but that will depend on whether the Orioles want Villar playing SS everyday next year. If Martin hits well in the spring, he could still break camp with the Orioles since the team is better defensively with him at SS and Villar at 2B.  

How did Hyde do that? Not doubting you, just not sure what you're seeing. 

33 minutes ago, John Welch said:

Before the All Star Break, Martin started 57 out of 88 games.   Not sure what the breakdown of LH vs RH was but you can't start 57 out of 88 games without starting against righties quite a bit.

After the All Star Break, Martin started just 33 of 74 games.   25 of those 33 (over 75%) were against lefthanded pitchers..  17 of Martin's last 20 starts from early August until the end of the season were against lefthanded pitchers.

• Upvote 1

It is true of everyone that “you will do until someone better comes along”

That is even true of Mike Trout. 

The flipside of course, is that it’s hard to find somebody better.

It is unlikely we are going to find a better short stop in the rule five draft or on the waiver wire.

5 hours ago, John Welch said:

Starts in Aug
Aug 2nd - Toronto bullpen game
Aug 3rd - SP- Pannone is a swing starter
Aug 6th - Yankees bullpen game
Aug 7th - Paxton (Legitmate LH starter) ****
Aug 12th - Paxton (Legitmate LH starter) ****
Aug 14th - Happ (Legitmate LH starter) ****)
Aug 17th- Rodriguez (Legitmate LH starter) ****)
Aug 24th - Montgomery (Below avg LH starter) ****
Aug 25th - TB opener, but main pitcher was Beeks, LHP
Aug 27th - Corbin (Legitmate LH starter) ****
Aug 30th- Skoglund (Below avg LH starter) ****

Starts in Sep
Sep 1st -  Duffy (Legitmate LH starter) ****
Sep 2nd -  Yarborough (Legitmate LH starter) ****
Sep 3rd-  2nd game of DH -  Bullpen game for TB
Sep 5th - Allard - (rookie LHP) *******
Sep 6th - Brook (rookie LHP) *******
Sep 8th -  Minor (Legitmate LH starter) ****
Sep 13th - Norris (Below avg LH starter) ****
Sep 16th - Alexander (rookie LHP) *******
Sep 21st - Sheffield (rookie LHP) *******
Sep 28th - Bullpen game for Bos
Sep 29th - Rodriguez  (Legitmate LH starter) ****

Basically he was platooned with Villar. 

On the year Martin slashed .243/.298/.345./643 vs LHP and .170/.217/.296/.513 against RHP

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Basically he was platooned with Villar.

Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that he was being platooned with Ruiz?

Against RH starters the IF was more often than not:

Alberto -- 2B

Villar -- SS

Ruiz -- 3B

Against LH starters we got this a lot:

Villar -- 2B

Martin -- SS

Alberto -- 3B

Alberto and Villar were pretty much full time players, with Martin and Ruiz alternating depending on the starting pitching match ups.

6 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Alberto -- 2B

Villar -- SS

Ruiz -- 3B

Villar -- 2B

Martin -- SS

Alberto -- 3B

Alberto and Villar were pretty much full time players, with Martin and Ruiz alternating depending on the starting pitching match ups.

During the second half Martin was platooned with Villar at shortstop. Martin played SS vx. LHP, Villar played SS vs. RHP. Villar played 2B.vs. LHP

12 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Alberto -- 2B

Villar -- SS

Ruiz -- 3B

Villar -- 2B

Martin -- SS

Alberto -- 3B

I just meant at SS, not that Villar was being platooned.