Reminder: Official Press Conference Monday Noon

Going Underground

I'll be interested to see if the O's and Hyde try anything like the Rays did last year with the pitching staff. Like, start a reliever in the 1st inning. Regularly have games that are just pitched by relievers. If they want to win games, I think they'll try things like that. But the question is... do we want to win games or do we want to tank? The answer to that question might be different in April than in July... 

Anyway. If we want to win as many games as possible, I'll be interested in the innovative ways we try to scratch out victories. 

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, jtschrei said:

I'll be interested to see if the O's and Hyde try anything like the Rays did last year with the pitching staff. Like, start a reliever in the 1st inning. Regularly have games that are just pitched by relievers. If they want to win games, I think they'll try things like that. But the question is... do we want to win games or do we want to tank? The answer to that question might be different in April than in July... 

Anyway. If we want to win as many games as possible, I'll be interested in the innovative ways we try to scratch out victories. 

It wouldn't just be about trying to win games.

If you think it is a viable strategy going forward it would be in your best interest to get your players used to that style of play.

2 hours ago, interloper said:

I think he's just referencing the collaborative nature of what is about to occur. It's a process that is about developing players. I don't see this as him talking about anything specific to managing games. 

I think maybe “process oriented” is in contrast to “result oriented.”    I.e., following processes that lead to long term development of the team, rather than maximizing wins now.   And having some faith that if the right processes are followed, the wins will come down the road even if current results aren’t pretty.    

That has interesting ramifications when it comes to setting the roster and allocating playing time.   

3 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I wasn't knocking him, I was just surprised the media didn't ask him.

I think that fits into the “too soon” category for the manager.  It’ll be a fair question when spring training rolls around.   

49 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think maybe “process oriented” is in contrast to “result oriented.”    I.e., following processes that lead to long term development of the team, rather than maximizing wins now.   And having some faith that if the right processes are followed, the wins will come down the road even if current results aren’t pretty.    

That has interesting ramifications when it comes to setting the roster and allocating playing time.   

Yes, the mantra buzz word is "process" although Mike only said it four times in his intro...they should also spend time figuring out the "process" for keeping fans in the seats as they "process" their way through the next few losing years.  Like  cutting ticket prices drastically.    Because a lot of fans may just say...see you when you win something.  Not us, but a lot. 

Archived