Roch: Brandon Hyde says Old guys have to hustle, run, pay attention at meetings

weams

This seems automatic if players are getting millions per, but I can see... you hit one straight to the SS you wouldn't dig it out. BUT, Pete Rose made a career as Charly Hustle. How many of the 4000+ were ONLY because he never dogged it? How many points BA (or OBP at least) did he gain from that?

In golf there was a legendary swing coach from Texas, dead now I think, can't remember his name. Coached Davis Love, Tom Kite, many others. One of the things he preached (and I used) is when you're addressing the ball, ready to swing, that is the most important moment of your life! Nothing else in the world matters right then. Same thing for any (every) play in baseball. Give it your all, full focus and effort.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, scOtt said:

This seems automatic if players are getting millions per, but I can see... you hit one straight to the SS you wouldn't dig it out. BUT, Pete Rose made a career as Charly Hustle. How many of the 4000+ were ONLY because he never dogged it? How many points BA (or OBP at least) did he gain from that?

In golf there was a legendary swing coach from Texas, dead now I think, can't remember his name. Coached Davis Love, Tom Kite, many others. One of the things he preached (and I used) is when you're addressing the ball, ready to swing, that is the most important moment of your life! Nothing else in the world matters right then. Same thing for any (every) play in baseball. Give it your all, full focus and effort.

Seventeen, 17 hits.  I  counted.

6 hours ago, scOtt said:

Harvey Penick.  Ben Crenshaw swore by him and fair enough, but IMO Ben Hogan understood far more.

The on field hustle stuff is a big deal but over the course of a long season, I don’t want someone getting hurt beating out a ball to SS. I’m more interested in the film study and meetings aspect. This is what the Astros had with Beltran and what the Red Sox just had. 

As much as I liked all the vets from the run we just had, they never really adjusted. They stuck to their way. That consistent approach could have helped them reached what they did, but I just think back to the TOR WC game where we weren’t even having good ABs or hitting balls hard. 

We all heard the story about Hays adapting to what the vets were doing too much in ST. Homer happy. Now we have no vets. Nobody should listen to anything Davis has to say about hitting. Trumbo when on, can be a “professional” hitter. 

7-8 weeks till ST. Maybe less. This is not the year to be counting down. We don’t even have a hitting and pitching coach yet. Those are 2 most important moves left. 

What worries me is that the changes were made so late in the year, that what are these guys even working on in the offseason?  Could we see a bunch of stop gap coaching hires in the system?  Coaches on one year deals. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

7-8 weeks till ST. Maybe less. This is not the year to be counting down. We don’t even have a hitting and pitching coach yet. Those are 2 most important moves left. 

What worries me is that the changes were made so late in the year, that what are these guys even working on in the offseason?  Could we see a bunch of stop gap coaching hires in the system?  Coaches on one year deals. 

I don't see this as an issue.

42 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

Anybody remember how hard Teddy Ballgame ran out his GB's to SS? Anybody care? What about Hank? Or Tony Gwynn for that matter? I'd rather have any of those guys on my team before Pete Rose, who had to hustle because he wasn't as good.

I didn’t like Pete Rose, but he’s got a pretty solid case that he was better than Tony Gwynn.    The other two, not so much.   

I’m all for a guy running to 1B as hard as he can after making contact.    When you’re running as hard as you can to 1B following a walk (as Rose was known to do), that’s just drawing attention to yourself.    

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I didn’t like Pete Rose, but he’s got a pretty solid case that he was better than Tony Gwynn.    The other two, not so much.   

I’m all for a guy running to 1B as hard as he can after making contact.    When you’re running as hard as you can to 1B following a walk (as Rose was known to do), that’s just drawing attention to yourself.    

I don't want to derail the thread, but I hadn't looked at Pete Rose's stats in a long time and the Rose mention pushed me to baseball reference. Did Pete Rose really win the 1973 MVP award? How very weird. 

Archived