Interesting FAs

wildcard

9 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We have to figure out what we have first. Our top prospects are still around a season away. Oddly enough, the better these guys on this team do, the more likely they will be traded for even newer players. 

I could see Cashner, Cobb, Trumbo Givens, Villar and even Mancini being traded. I’m hoping to see core position players in Mullins, Stewart, Diaz, Hayes and Mountcastle develope and play to there potential they can be a good core to build around along with McKenna whose another yr away. I’m not sure either of those guys are going to be stars but if they can be solid contributors and if they are we won’t need stars just a group of guys doing there part playing hard contributing the way they know how. 

Its the pitching especially the rotation that’s imo is really weak and needs the most improvement through the organization our best pitchers in the organization are at least a couple years away. If we want to compete sooner than later we really need to strike lighting in a bottle with some of the young pitching  like Tate, Kremer, Akin and others along with have Bundy bounce back. The bullpen looks solid for years to come imo. 

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

My guess is that we are going into the season with the OF as is.  I thought they might have been eyeballing Maybin as a cheap sign, but he just went to the Giants.   Clay Bucholz on a milb contract anyone?

Does anyone think the Giants' attempt at a reload is going to work?

OF Denard Span makes some sense for us on a one year deal. What would it take to sign him?  1/2-3 million?  He can play the corners and sometimes fill in as CF in a pinch. Plus baserunner. Good OBP. Seems like a good guy to have around the young OF prospects. He’s the type of player that’s always in demand come deadline time. 

My argument for signing any vet OF to 2-3 million is that over the first half of the season that would only be 750k to 1.5 mill more than having EY JR on the team. The vet league min costs money too. 

The prospect we’d get at the deadline isn’t the goal with a signing like this. The goal would be to have a mentor for the young guys, take pressure off Mullins by letting him bat lower in the lineup, and to be a stop gap so Hays and Diaz aren’t rushed. 

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

OF Denard Span makes some sense for us on a one year deal. What would it take to sign him?  1/2-3 million?  He can play the corners and sometimes fill in as CF in a pinch. Plus baserunner. Good OBP. Seems like a good guy to have around the young OF prospects. He’s the type of player that’s always in demand come deadline time. 

My argument for signing any vet OF to 2-3 million is that over the first half of the season that would only be 750k to 1.5 mill more than having EY JR on the team. The vet league min costs money too. 

The prospect we’d get at the deadline isn’t the goal with a signing like this. The goal would be to have a mentor for the young guys, take pressure off Mullins by letting him bat lower in the lineup, and to be a stop gap so Hays and Diaz aren’t rushed. 

JMO but I don't think Span is a fit for the the O's.  The O's could use help in RF.  Span does not have a strong arm.  

Looks like Jose Iglesias to the Reds on a milb deal.  

I must say, I'm sorta disappointed the decisions makers couldn't offer him something a little stronger in order to get him into our camp.  If you've watched him play, you know he is a very solid defender and has a high baseball IQ.  I appreciate signing Escobar, but I think they missed a very cheap upgrade that could have stabilized the middle of a very untested diamond.  

We don't have a lot of veteran dependability up the middle at C, SS, or CF.  I worry about the C position the least of the 3.  Is Eric Young Jr our back up plan in CF at the moment?  Maybe he likes what he is seeing out of the young SS in camp.

I'm all on board with Elias not spending money, but I think we missed on guys like Iglesias, Cameron Maybin, Devin Mesoraco that went for pennies.  Guys that would have provided some depth and stability without stealing too many at bats from significant prospects this year and who had potential to maybe put up decent numbers and be swung at the deadline for a C+ high spin rate prospect or something.

On the other hands, its about the challenging the youth and getting those top draft picks.

5 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

Looks like Jose Iglesias to the Reds on a milb deal.  

I must say, I'm sorta disappointed the decisions makers couldn't offer him something a little stronger in order to get him into our camp.  If you've watched him play, you know he is a very solid defender and has a high baseball IQ.  I appreciate signing Escobar, but I think they missed a very cheap upgrade that could have stabilized the middle of a very untested diamond.  

We don't have a lot of veteran dependability up the middle at C, SS, or CF.  I worry about the C position the least of the 3.  Is Eric Young Jr our back up plan in CF at the moment?  Maybe he likes what he is seeing out of the young SS in camp.

I'm all on board with Elias not spending money, but I think we missed on guys like Iglesias, Cameron Maybin, Devin Mesoraco that went for pennies.  Guys that would have provided some depth and stability without stealing too many at bats from significant prospects this year and who had potential to maybe put up decent numbers and be swung at the deadline for a C+ high spin rate prospect or something.

On the other hands, its about the challenging the youth and getting those top draft picks.

I agree with you. The focus should be on getting the young guys at-bats, but I do think this roster could really use some veteran depth. What happens if the prospects are really struggling at the MLB level and need some time in AAA to reset? What if the Rule 5 additions play like Rule 5 players? What if players are hurt for an extended period of time?

The O's don't even really have the depth to cover anything going wrong. They still have to field a team, they still need pitchers to throw innings, and it would be irresponsible to push players into situations they aren't ready for. Putting some not-ready kid on the mound to get clobbered every outing, for example, isn't helping anybody.

I understand the disappointment but we have no idea if Iglesias wanted to come here. The Reds are trying to compete and the O's would be lucky to win 65 games. I really can't say I'd blame anybody for taking a worse deal to go somewhere they can win. 

14 hours ago, LTO's said:

I understand the disappointment but we have no idea if Iglesias wanted to come here. The Reds are trying to compete and the O's would be lucky to win 65 games. I really can't say I'd blame anybody for taking a worse deal to go somewhere they can win. 

You would think Iglesias would come here for a major league deal.  I was thinking it would take at least 6 mill to sign him.  Not very positive about the O's infielders other than Villar.  If Nunez is a flash in the pan and the rule 5's hit like minor leaguers it could be ugly. 

Isglesias signed a deal that would pay him $2.5 million if he makes the team. 

He would have been a nice signing, but I think Elias addressed SS with all the little depth moves he made.  I think we have the position covered at least defensively. 

I’d like to see us sign a RF so we won’t be tempted to start burning some of the prospects controllable years during a year where we won’t be competing. 

35 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

With all the “collusion” going on we could’ve pieced together a pretty decent team. 

Manny and Harper signing the #1 and #3 contracts in baseball history kind of shot the union's collusion claim to heck.

Bucholtz and Norris signing leaves only Kuechel, Kimbrel, Gio Gonzalez, Jones and Maldonado  of MLBTR's top 50 free agents.   

Archived