Interesting FAs

wildcard

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Jones fell that far.  His range in the OF isn't what it used to be and he's not a good enough hitter to be a DH.

I don't think he gets a 1 year deal, but I can see him signing a two year deal that's not that expensive.  

I think he might still be looking for work when spring training starts.

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Jones fell that far.  His range in the OF isn't what it used to be and he's not a good enough hitter to be a DH.

I don't think he gets a 1 year deal, but I can see him signing a two year deal that's not that expensive.  

I  don't think the O's would want Jones for two years.   Hays and Diaz will probably both be ready for the major by 2020.

Jon Jay is signing with the White Sox for 1 year and $4 million today or tomorrow.  Another friend of Manny's. They traded for his brother in law also Yonder Alonzo a few moths ago. The three of them work out together in the off season. The White Sox are still in the picture for Manny. So are the Cubs, Phillies and Yankees.

49 minutes ago, section18 said:

Jon Jay is signing with the White Sox for 1 year and $4 million today or tomorrow.  Another friend of Manny's. They traded for his brother in law also Yonder Alonzo a few moths ago. The three of them work out together in the off season. The White Sox are still in the picture for Manny. So are the Cubs, Phillies and Yankees.

Deleted Jon Jay from OP list.

On 1/7/2019 at 5:24 AM, wildcard said:

If they are still on the list on Feb 1st

Max contract: 1/4m

Some would only be offered a minor league contract

Some will have to fall through the cracks to still be available

Clay Buchholz SP

Nate Karns SP

Drew Pomeranz SP

Ervin Santana SP

Freddy Galvis SS

Adeiny  Hechavarria SS

Jose Iglesia SS

Avisail Garcia RF

Craig Gentry RF

Brandon Guyer RF

Nick Markakis RF

Adam Jones RF

Caleb Joseph C

Martin Maldonado C

Matt Wieters C

Pitching Coach - Jim Hickey 

I wouldn't be surprised if the O's bring back Joseph for a cut in pay, about 1 mill.  I could see either Gentry or Markakis being signed on 1 year deals.  I think Markakis would come back to the O's on 1 year deal (if there were no multi-year deals).  I can't see Jones coming back.  If Jones is benched for a rookie, there will be drama.  Any low priced RP options?

4 hours ago, section18 said:

Interesting.   Coming off a .749 OPS season in 2017, he signed in 2018 for $3 mm.   Now a year older and coming off a .678 OPS season, he gets $4 mm.    I think the “middle class” market is a bit more player friendly this year than last.   But, it could just be that Jay made a mistake and held out too long last year and lost out on some better opportunities (he didn’t sign until March 6).     

I wouldn't flip a lid about Caleb coming back, but I don't see what the purpose would be really. We already know he's a middling defensive catcher, mostly. He'll be 33 in June. Would it just be to mentor Sisco/Wynns? Didn't he already do that all last year? 

4 hours ago, section18 said:

According to who? It's really just your speculation even though you wrote it as if it were a fact (which you often do). None of us REALLY have any idea who's in the running for Manny. Right now it's in Manny's best interest to string these teams along (even if he has no interest in playing for them) in order to create a bidding war to drive up his price. 

12 minutes ago, Bmorebirds24 said:

Is there any chance that come mid/late July that the O’s outfield is Diaz, Mullins and Hays? 

This outfield would excite me more than seeing Jones, Markakis or any other vet that won’t be around when this team is winning again. 

Agreed and I sure hope so. If not by July I think come September it's certainly possible. It really boils down to how well those players perform in the minors (and how well the players in front of them perform in the majors). 

12 minutes ago, Bmorebirds24 said:

Is there any chance that come mid/late July that the O’s outfield is Diaz, Mullins and Hays? 

This outfield would excite me more than seeing Jones, Markakis or any other vet that won’t be around when this team is winning again. 

Reports are the Diaz is talented but raw.  Needs more time in the minors.   Hays needs to show he is ready to play like he did in 2017.    ST will be important for him.  He probably begins in the minors but could be promoted during the season.   Its much more likely to see Stewart in left field.  Especially if Trumbo is injured to begin the season. 

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Reports are the Diaz is talented but raw.  Needs more time in the minors.   Hays needs to show he is ready to play like he did in 2017.    ST will be important for him.  He probably begins in the minors but could be promoted during the season.   Its much more likely to see Stewart in left field.  Especially if Trumbo is injured to begin the season. 

Which reports?

Archived