Interesting FAs

wildcard

50 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I'm not sure where he'd play. If the Dodgers are going to hand out a big contract I feel like they need Harper more than Machado. 

C-Barnes 1B-Bellinger 2B-Muncy SS-Seager 3B-Turner OF-Pederson OF-Taylor OF-Verdugo

Dodger are in need of another big right handed bat. But I don't think Machado is their dude. 

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, weams said:

Dodger are in need of another big right handed bat. But I don't think Machado is their dude. 

Yep, definitely agree, but I think the only clear opening they have is in the OF. Quite a few people thought that Puig trade was step one in freeing up a spot for Harper. I guess time will tell...

27 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

So no truth to the rumor that both Machado and Harper were seen at the Raven playoff game this weekend? That the Orioles are the surprise team for both with their cutting salary so much.That Elias and Sig have determined that both are young and analytically feasible for a team rebuilding and contending at the same time.Both fit in nicely in right field and shortstop. Get her done 

No but there was a shot of Michael Phelps, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, and Todd Heap watching the game together from a box.   That's a lot of greatness in one spot.   3 of those 4 guys are arguably the best that ever lived at what they did.

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

No but there was a shot of Michael Phelps, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, and Todd Heap watching the game together from a box.   That's a lot of greatness in one spot.   3 of those 4 guys are arguably the best that ever lived at what they did.

Todd Heap, Michael Phelps and Ed Reed?  

19 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

Wonder if he'd be happy to stay with Dodgers? 

Machado has been well-advised. Nobody really knows what he wants. There are some leaks that his wife likes NY and he may not love Philly, but none of Philly, NYY, LAD or Chi Sox would surprise me at this point. The team that I actually think should be all in on him rather than Harper is the Nationals, but they seem to like their guy. I think that's short-sighted, but whatever.

I'm not sure if this news belongs in this thread, but...

I'm actually surprised he got a contract. I thought for sure Beckham would be a spring training invitation type of guy (for someone). I guess the Mariners are playing the numbers game at SS and hoping something (Crawford, Beckham, etc.) sticks. 

Mariners signed INF Tim Beckham to a one-year, $1.75 million contract.

Beckham was non-tendered by the Orioles in November after struggling to a .230/.287/.374 batting line over 402 plate appearances in 2018. The former No. 1 overall pick is a fine buy-low for the rebuilding Mariners, but we wouldn't expect him to offer much in the way of fantasy value. He'll have to compete for reps at shortstop with trade acquisition J.P. Crawford.

20 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Garcia hit .362 on ground balls in 2017 which a ridiculous rate for a player with moderate to below average speed. DIBS estimated that he got 21 more singles then he should have and that his "realistic" batting average should have been .284 versus the .330 he actually hit that year. Garcia is never going to duplicate that batting average again which means he's a slightly above average hitter with below average power and below average speed. His walks are also well below average (almost Adam Jones territory) and he's a below average defensive player. What in those number make you think that he's a good player? I honestly think there's a 50/50 chance that Stewart produces better numbers then Garcia next season (if he gets the ABs). 

I never said he would hit .330 again i said he is the guy that interest me.  He has put up numbers before is young and has some serious talent.  He hits the ball hard a lot which gets high a high exit velocity so you get more hits on the ground.  He won't cost a ton in the 4-6 million range which is worth the gamble we could use another bat from the right side and with Trumbo still iffy for being ready to start the season he is a guy that can play there.  His fielding isn't great but he had to play in Chicago which has huge alleys and makes it harder for him because of his range.  Camden is much smaller in right field which will help him there some.  He has killed lefties the last few years which is another plus to teams in contention and something teams look for at the deadline.   .322/.379/.486/.859. I could easily see him put up .275/.330/.470/.800 line and .315/.375/.475/.850 line vs lefties.

24 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

I never said he would hit .330 again i said he is the guy that interest me.  He has put up numbers before is young and has some serious talent.  He hits the ball hard a lot which gets high a high exit velocity so you get more hits on the ground.  He won't cost a ton in the 4-6 million range which is worth the gamble we could use another bat from the right side and with Trumbo still iffy for being ready to start the season he is a guy that can play there.  His fielding isn't great but he had to play in Chicago which has huge alleys and makes it harder for him because of his range.  Camden is much smaller in right field which will help him there some.  He has killed lefties the last few years which is another plus to teams in contention and something teams look for at the deadline.   .322/.379/.486/.859. I could easily see him put up .275/.330/.470/.800 line and .315/.375/.475/.850 line vs lefties.

When has he put up numbers before? And I didn't mean over react to your suggestion, but I think Garcia is the exact type of player we shouldn't be looking to sign. He's basically the OF equivalent of Cashner, but with even more red flags since he's already had his down year. I also don't see there being much of a trade market for Garcia. It's not worth the risk. 

14 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

I thought Cody Allen for 1/8.5 was a pretty good deal.  He could have been the closer and been tradeable at the deadline. 

Allen may be a good deal for the Angels but the O's are not spending that kind of money this off season on a player.

Archived