Trumbo sounds cautiously doubtful to be ready by Opening Day

wildcard

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

More from Trumbo today: http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/01/trumbo-on-his-role-and-future.html

Sounds like he knows 2018 could be his last hurrah unless he produces.   

Sounds like he has accepted defeat. I’d rather see him released then potentially be a purveyor of nonchalance in an impressionable club house. I’m happy to give him a chance but if he isn’t bringing anything to the table I hope they’re quick to release.

39 minutes ago, Frobby said:

More from Trumbo today: http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/01/trumbo-on-his-role-and-future.html

Sounds like he knows 2018 could be his last hurrah unless he produces.   

That was a very forthright, honest interview for a high level athlete.  That's nice.  Too many guys would have talked about giving 110%, being on the edge of a breakthrough, being in the best shape of their lives, and leading the team back to glory.

46 minutes ago, oriole said:

Sounds like he has accepted defeat. I’d rather see him released then potentially be a purveyor of nonchalance in an impressionable club house. I’m happy to give him a chance but if he isn’t bringing anything to the table I hope they’re quick to release.

Trumbo actually had a decent offensive year in 2018.    Ironically, he was at his best in the last few weeks before going on the DL, even though the knee already was bothering him.    I don’t see the O’s releasing him very quickly, if at all.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t see the O’s releasing him very quickly, if at all.

Agree. I also think the thread is more pessimistic than I am after reading the article. I'm not assuming he'll play 162 games at a 1.000 OPS, but I didn't read anything that made me think he'd have a Pedroia-like season either. Hopefully he doesn't.

4 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Agree. I also think the thread is more pessimistic than I am after reading the article. I'm not assuming he'll play 162 games at a 1.000 OPS, but I didn't read anything that made me think he'd have a Pedroia-like season either. Hopefully he doesn't.

Luckily, it doesn’t much matter.    The team would be slightly better with a healthy Trumbo playing well, but we’re not going to contend and that also would limit opportunities for younger players.   So there’s an upside/downside either way.    

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Luckily, it doesn’t much matter.    The team would be slightly better with a healthy Trumbo playing well, but we’re not going to contend and that also would limit opportunities for younger players.   So there’s an upside/downside either way.    

I'm definitely looking at this more as a fanboy who doesn't care about, or really think about, our long term plans. Analytically, I agree. Emotionally, I want my kids to see Trumbo hit a few more HRs in an Orioles jersey. If he does, maybe the analytical side can be a net positive too through whatever is recapped in a trade. 

21 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I believe the surgery is somewhat experimental when it comes to world class athletes. I think it is more a quality of life fix.  

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

That was a very forthright, honest interview for a high level athlete.  That's nice.  Too many guys would have talked about giving 110%, being on the edge of a breakthrough, being in the best shape of their lives, and leading the team back to glory.

He knows he's a dying breed with only a couple years left before he probably has to retire. That was a very refreshing interview. Interesting.

Archived