Doug Brocail is the Pitching Coach

interloper

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Frobby said:

A couple of times a year, he’d give you a game to dream on.   Fool’s gold.   

There was a stretch...can't remember the year, or even how long it lasted for.  In my warped memory, it feels like it was 2 months.  But it could have been two weeks.  

For a second there, it looked like he was gonna put it all together.  

11 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

There was a stretch...can't remember the year, or even how long it lasted for.  In my warped memory, it feels like it was 2 months.  But it could have been two weeks.  

I remember when he started throwing a 2 seamer and went on a brief run.

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

He actually had a couple.   People forget that DCab was leading the league in ERA about 2-3 months into his rookie year.*   He had a 2.90 ERA in his first 12 starts in the majors (plus an emergency relief appearance in which he earned a save).

* Technically, he was a few innings short of qualifying at the time.   

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

That ‘07 team had a respectable 4.39 ERA over the first 123 games, through August 21.    Then the wheels came off the cart:

- August 22 was the 30-3 massacre.

- Erik Bedard got hurt in his next start, ending a season in which he was a Cy Young contender.

- Steve Trachsel (4.48 ERA) was traded away on Aug. 31.

- Jeremy Guthrie got hurt in early September and missed three starts.

As a result, in late August and September we were starting the likes of Garrett Olson, Jon Leicester, Victor Santos, Kurt Birkens and Victor Zambrano, joining the lustrous Daniel Cabrera, Radhames Liz and Brian Burres, who had been installed previously. Over those last 39 games the team pitched to a 7.61 ERA.    The starters averaged 4.74 IP/game at a 7.69 ERA.

It was pretty painful to watch.    

It's still pretty painful to read too...

On 1/15/2019 at 4:16 PM, weams said:

We hated Rick Kranitz when he was here too.  And Dave Wallace.

Kranitz leaving as one of our biggest mistakes. Now he is with the Braves I believe...look out. Ugh, bc I hate the Braves so much.

17 hours ago, Frobby said:

He actually had a couple.   People forget that DCab was leading the league in ERA about 2-3 months into his rookie year.*   He had a 2.90 ERA in his first 12 starts in the majors (plus an emergency relief appearance in which he earned a save).

* Technically, he was a few innings short of qualifying at the time.   

On July 10th he had a 2.90 ERA.  But he also had 33 walks and 35 Ks in 77 innings.  I'd love to find the Hangout archives from then.  Hopefully I was talking about smoke and mirrors.

16 hours ago, LookitsPuck said:

Sucks about DCab. Steroids giveth, steroids takeith-away.

Last 14 starts in 2005: .679 OPS against, 3.43 ERA, 9.6 SO/9.

Does anyone remember that weird interview Dave Trembley gave sometime after he left?  I just remember finding it on BillJamesonline or something, and posting exerpts.  It really sounded like Dave had a few beers and expected it to be off the record.  But he came right out and said Cabrera had been taking gallons of horse steroids.

Edit: It's still here.  The quote was Cabrera had been "throwing at people out of turn and juicing like crazy."

On 1/17/2019 at 9:02 AM, wildcard said:

I thought the reference to Dallas Keuchel  was interesting considering that the two years that Brocail coached him his ERA was over 5.00.  But as soon as Brocail was replaced Keuchel had a breakout season.

If you read Astroball, that's when Keuchel started pitching less with his breaking stuff and started following the analytics.

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Does anyone remember that weird interview Dave Trembley gave sometime after he left?  I just remember finding it on BillJamesonline or something, and posting exerpts.  It really sounded like Dave had a few beers and expected it to be off the record.  But he came right out and said Cabrera had been taking gallons of horse steroids.

Edit: It's still here.  The quote was Cabrera had been "throwing at people out of turn and juicing like crazy."

Well, Trembley wasn't wrong about much in that article besides being excited over Bell and Snyder. 

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

If you read Astroball, that's when Keuchel started pitching less with his breaking stuff and started following the analytics.

Tell me more.   Does that mean that Brocail wasn't in to analytics in 2012-13 and didn't get Keuchel interested?   Did it have to do with Strom becoming coach and stressing analytics? Or was it that Keuchel wouldn't listen to anyone on analytics until 2014?

Archived