Doug Brocail is the Pitching Coach

interloper

Just now, Frobby said:

I can’t tell if your remark is tongue in cheek, or serious.   If serious, what makes you think so?    It’s certainly a possibility, among about a million other possibilities.   

JOKE. I have no source on this. But it sure could be! 

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I thought the reference to Dallas Keuchel  was interesting considering that the two years that Brocail coached him his ERA was over 5.00.  But as soon as Brocail was replaced Keuchel had a breakout season.

Another example of how superficial this article was.   

On another note, I wish the staff would get announced already so that we could get some quotes from these guys.   

On 1/15/2019 at 3:44 PM, interloper said:

Per Dan Connolly tweet. 

I'm not really sure what this guy brings to the table other than being a warm body for a year. Rangers fans really, really dislike him. He went from Astros pitching coach to special assistant prior to Texas, though, so perhaps he has some familiarity with *the whole Elias deal*. 

Personally, it's a meh from me.

Who would have been a "Wow" signing for pitching coach?

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Who would have been a "Wow" signing for pitching coach?

I'm not sure. Brocail will be fine, perhaps I came out a little harsh. It's tough to get a read on these guys because they aren't announcing them officially yet. Typically you'd see a PR quote and a reason why he was targeted.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

I thought the reference to Dallas Keuchel  was interesting considering that the two years that Brocail coached him his ERA was over 5.00.  But as soon as Brocail was replaced Keuchel had a breakout season.

You really think a PC could make that much difference? Or replacing Brocail? 

23 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Keep in mind, many of the veterans, while liking Ray, was really pissed at Ownership for running Davey out of town.

If Davey had stayed, I venture to say, 98 and 99 would have ended up differently. IMO

Ownership screwed up firing Davey. 

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

In this article, Dubroff quotes “one longtime observer of the Orioles” as saying that Bundy will have a breakout year under Brocail.   No reasons or rationale is given.

Really, is that what passes for journalism these days?   Not only is the quoted “longtime observer” anonymous, we have no idea whatsoever what his connection to the Orioles or baseball is, why he thinks this, or what the basis for his opinion is.    Hell, I qualify as a “longtime observer of the Orioles.”

Honestly that’s one of the worst uses of a source I’ve ever seen in an article.   

You obviously don't read much of Dubroff's stuff.   I'm sure he's a good guy, but his writing leaves a bit to be desired.

22 hours ago, Palmoripken said:

I think we’re a 85 team in 1998 if Davey stays but you’re right, it really went downhill when Johnson left and then Gillick did too and we really didn’t draft well either. Goes without saying, drafting and scouting is going to be what defines success for the new or any regime. I think we would be in a better spot now if Duquette had drafted better but in a way I appreciated his aggression that MacPhail imo lacked but at the same time, the ideal GM would have taken some of the pluses both had.

Miller was not a good manager. That 98 team had an on/off switch.

They would not have collapsed like that with Davey.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Another example of how superficial this article was.   

On another note, I wish the staff would get announced already so that we could get some quotes from these guys.   

Wonder if they will all be at FanFest or not? 

Archived