Orioles in the Hall of Fame Vote

orange23

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, orange23 said:

There are five former Orioles on the 2019 Hall of Fame ballot, and the election results will be announced next Tuesday. Some are more notable than others.

Two former O's, Lee Smith and Harold Baines, were already voted in by the Today's Game Era Committee.

Freddy Garcia (pitched very briefly for the Orioles in 2013) makes the ballot for the first time, and he might not even earn a single vote.

Sammy Sosa is on the ballot for the seventh year, but it could be his last.

Curt Schilling certainly won't make the Hall for his numbers with the O's, but he still has a shout in his seventh year of eligibility.

Miguel Tejada is also eligible for the first time after retiring in 2013. Miggy put up some good numbers for us and has a case for making the Hall. He has 6 all-star appearances (3 with the O's), won two Silver Slugger awards (both with the O's), and won the AL MVP with Oakland in '02. His association with steroids will still sit in the voters' minds, so I doubt he gets in.

Mike Mussina is in his sixth year on the ballot. His HOF voting percentages have trended upward over the years, and even if he doesn't get in this year, he'll get in eventually. The only question is whether or not his plaque will feature an Oriole or Yankee cap. He had his best years with the O's, so I think it's an obvious decision, but that's not always how it works.

Any thoughts?

Freddy has about the same resume as Jesse Haines and Rube Marquard, who are in the Hall but are the worst starters with a plaque.  He had a good career.  No, he won't get any votes but he's not as ridiculous a candidate as many think.

Sosa seems to be taken as the most fake of the PED guys, even though his offensive spike exactly coincided with the time where they certainly were juicing the ball.  He'll be our Babe Herman or Lefty O'Doul, guys who posted gaudy numbers in an era of endless gaudy numbers and they kind of fade into the noise.

Schilling will go in by way of some Vet's Committee in 2028 or something.  When the professional talking people (who happen to be the voters) have stopped tsk tsking him for having unpopular opinions, and they get back to his 11-2, 2.23 in the postseason and a fair amount of black ink.  His resume isn't terribly different from Don Drysdale, but instead of pitching in a great pitcher's environment he pitched in one of the hardest eras for a pitcher ever.

Tejada may not ever get in.  He's our Vern Stephens.  Shortstops who had numbers that look more like really good left fielders.  Just trading rumors of alcoholism for rumors of PEDs.  In a Hall that includes guys like Phil Rizzuto you'd think Tejada would have a shot (Tejada had about twice as many doubles and nearly ten times as many homers).  Rizzuto's career high in RBI was 68, which is 82 less than Tejada's.  But he probably won't go in any time soon.  I'd vote for him if my theoretical ballot wasn't limited to 10.

Mussina should go in this year.  He had the misfortune of missing that 20-win milestone as an Oriole partly due to bad luck and the strike/lockout.  If you take Jim Palmer's career and pretend he pitched in a five-man rotation by lopping off 3-5 starts a year and extending his career a few years it looks pretty much identical to Mussina.  He should get a medal for winning 18 games and posting a 3.54 ERA on a '99 Orioles team that was under .500 and had an outfield defense of 34-year-old B.J. Surhoff, 35-year-old Brady Anderson, and Albert Belle.

9 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Tejada may not ever get in.  He's our Vern Stephens.  Shortstops who had numbers that look more like really good left fielders.  Just trading rumors of alcoholism for rumors of PEDs.  In a Hall that includes guys like Phil Rizzuto you'd think Tejada would have a shot (Tejada had about twice as many doubles and nearly ten times as many homers).  Rizzuto's career high in RBI was 68, which is 82 less than Tejada's.  But he probably won't go in any time soon.  I'd vote for him if my theoretical ballot wasn't limited to 10.

Tejada is running at 1.1%, and therefore probably won’t be on the ballot after this year (threshold for staying on is 5% I believe).

11 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Tejada has a lot going against him: steroid user, suspended for 105 games for amphetamines, lied about his age, pled guilty to perjury... and oh, framed Palmeiro with the tainted B-12 he gave him ?

19 minutes ago, theocean said:

Tejada has a lot going against him: steroid user, suspended for 105 games for amphetamines, lied about his age, pled guilty to perjury... and oh, framed Palmeiro with the tainted B-12 he gave him ?

I liked Tejada. It's too bad that he and others thought they had to cheat with PEDs. 

17 hours ago, ScGO's said:

Every other O's Hall of Famer is out there.   I think he'd show up.

Every other modern O's Hall of Famer who spent a large percentage of his peak in Baltimore and hoisted a trophy or two, depending on where you draw the line on "large percentage".  Robin Roberts doesn't have one.  Jim Thome isn't getting one.  Vlad isn't getting one, and I seriously doubt Baines is.  Tim Raines isn't.  None for Alomar.  No way for a Lee Smith statue.  None of Wee Willie, Ned Hanlon, Uncle Robbie, Hughie, Joe Kelley, or John McGraw have one.  George Kell, no.  Hoyt Wilhelm... nope.  Little Louie... nope. 

2 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

When you see McGwire and Sosa up there with Bud's arm around them telling them they're the best thing since sliced bread...

Well Bud as commissioner was a joke. If McGwire gets in the Hall then Joe Jackson should get in too. I know it's for two different reasons cheating and gambling. 

7 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

Well Bud as commissioner was a joke. If McGwire gets in the Hall then Joe Jackson should get in too. I know it's for two different reasons cheating and gambling. 

Two completely unrelated things.  One should have no bearing on the other.

Do you want Gaylord Perry kicked out?  King Kelly?

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Two completely unrelated things.  One should have no bearing on the other.

Do you want Gaylord Perry kicked out?  King Kelly?

If you don't pull over everyone who speeds, then bank robbery should be legal, right? 

Hold on, what did King Kelly do besides drink himself out of the league way early?

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

If you don't pull over everyone who speeds, then bank robbery should be legal, right? 

Hold on, what did King Kelly do besides drink himself out of the league way early?

Didn't he have them keep spare balls in the outfield so they could throw them back if they couldn't find the one that was hit?

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Didn't he have them keep spare balls in the outfield so they could throw them back if they couldn't find the one that was hit?

That was one of those often-told tales that probably has some truth to it, but I'm not sure if it can be tied back to just one person.  I've definitely heard it told about the 1890s Orioles, but they probably didn't invent it.  Most, if not all, ballparks of the 19th century had groundskeeping standards that would embarrass a decent community park today, making it easy to hide balls.

Just now, DrungoHazewood said:

That was one of those often-told tales that probably has some truth to it, but I'm not sure if it can be tied back to just one person.  I've definitely heard it told about the 1890s Orioles, but they probably didn't invent it.  Most, if not all, ballparks of the 19th century had groundskeeping standards that would embarrass a decent community park today.

If maybe all of them did it we need to throw all of them out!

No cheaters in the hall!

Zero tolerance!

Archived