Who are the starting pitcher candidates for the last two rotation spots?

Diehard_O's_Fan

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Look at what Luhnow/Elias did with George Springer.   In 2013,  Springer was BA  #37 prospect before the season.  He played 73 games at AAA for a 978 OPS and  62 games at AAA for a 1.057 OPS (PCL), but he was not called up to the majors in Sept.   BA made him the #18 prospect  pre -2014.    The Astros keep him in the minors until April 16th.   

That is called roster management .  Working the service time.

Yes, but it's a flawed system and a loophole that needs to be fixed. It's also a disservice to the fans to keep these players down when they clearly have nothing left to prove. It's my second biggest pet peeve next the blatant abuse of the new shorter DL to manipulate rosters.  The Dodgers in particular really annoy me with their manipulation of their starting pitchers and their "mystery" injuries. 

4 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Yes, but it's a flawed system and a loophole that needs to be fixed. It's also a disservice to the fans to keep these players down when they clearly have nothing left to prove. It's my second biggest pet peeve next the blatant abuse of the new shorter DL to manipulate rosters.  The Dodgers in particular really annoy me with their manipulation of their starting pitchers and their "mystery" injuries. 

The O's under Buck and Dan had more than their share of fortuitous injuries.

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

Look at what Luhnow/Elias did with George Springer.   In 2013,  Springer was BA  #37 prospect before the season.  He played 73 games at AAA for a 978 OPS and  62 games at AAA for a 1.057 OPS (PCL), but he was not called up to the majors in Sept.   BA made him the #18 prospect  pre -2014.    The Astros keep him in the minors until April 16th.   

Kudos - as we browse recent Astro practices for tea leaves, I think Springer is a good benchmark to compare/contrast how we might handle our good young outfielders.  

10 hours ago, wildcard said:

I doubt Elias had any involvement in that decision.   

Archived