Who are the starting pitcher candidates for the last two rotation spots?

Diehard_O's_Fan

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

What about Ortiz? Wasn't he pitching at Triple A last year?

Ortiz started 11 games at AA and 6 at AAA last season.   I would think he would begin the season at AAA and see how he does.   We could see him after a couple of months.  He does need to lose some weight to be able to field his position in the majors.  JMO

Elias may have other thoughts.

Assuming they play service time games

Hess, Rogers, Means, and Ortiz seem likely to be the primary candidates

Akin and Tate will probably come up at some point

If Harvey remains a starter he might also get a look

Lowther and Kremer might come up late in the season

9 minutes ago, Thato'sfan said:

Assuming they play service time games

Hess, Rogers, Means, and Ortiz seem likely to be the primary candidates

Akin and Tate will probably come up at some point

If Harvey remains a starter he might also get a look

Lowther and Kremer might come up late in the season

JMO but I don't think Hess, Rogers, Means and Ortiz are the caliber of pitcher that the O's have to worry about service time.   I would not be surprised to see any or all of them up and down better the majors and minors over the next two years.

10 minutes ago, wildcard said:

JMO but I don't think Hess, Rogers, Means and Ortiz are the caliber of pitcher that the O's have to worry about service time.   I would not be surprised to see any or all of them up and down better the majors and minors over the next two years.

I believe he means those guys will get the opportunity because they may want to hold back Akin and Tate even though they may be better options.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I need to see Tate's K rate go back up before I consider him an option.

Agreed. The 2-seam experiment failed. Let him go back to what worked. He might become a reliever at some point but I'm still a believer in Tate's mid-rotation upside.

I'm thinking an opener for the last 2 spots is probably the way to go. Between Hess, Rogers, Castro, Ramirez, Yacabonis there's no reason to bring up Akin, Ortiz or Tate regardless of how well they pitch in Spring Training. I understand why some want to bring in Pomeranz and/or Anderson but it's a waste of $$$ unless they're so cheap they're selling their souls. This year is about Elias and his team setting standards, observing the talent we have here and the MiL, not making the Wild Card game

Archived