Tony's take on the roster

wildcard

Kind of surprised this in not being talked about.   Tony does a nice job of going through each player on the OH front page and stating where he sees them going into Spring Training.  http://www.orioleshangout.com/2019/02/02/quick-look-at-the-orioles-spring-training-roster/

Starter: Bundy, Cobb, Cashner, Hess and a competition be Ramirez, Means and Rogers for the 5th starter seems likely.

Relievers: Givens, Bleier, Castro have a hold on spots.   Scott, Fry, Yacabonis enter camp with he next highest probability  to stuck.   Aarujo  probably gets a spot for 17 days.  After that Carroll or Kline may join.   I would add that the losers of the Ramirez, Means, Rogers 5th starter competition could also be competing for a reliever spot.

Catcher: Tony states that Wynns has a spot at one of the catching spots unless he has a meltdown.   He does know the pitching staff which gives him an edge but he also has an option.  Elias has brought in two catchers with AL league experience in Perez and Sucre.     That gives them an edge of their own.  Sisco offers his youth.   Lets see  what plays out on the field.  New manager and coaches.  New ball game.

Infield: Davis 1B/DH, Villar 2B, Nunez 3B.   Tony sees a competition between Martin and Jackson at SS.   I have to add Alberto to that competition.  He has AAA experience that the other two do not have.  And his defensive and offensive numbers put him in the mix. Mancini could see time at 1B.

Utility:  I believe whoever of these three does not win the SS competition can stay as the utility infielder.  In fact both may stay. Martin and Jackson are Rule 5 guys and Alberto is out of options.  So they either stay or they have to be returned or DFA'd.

DH:  Is Trumbo if healthy.  But his knee could have him begin the season on the DL.  Davis could see action at DH as could Mancini

Outfield:  Trumbo's health impacts the outfield.    If Trumbo is healthy its Mancini in left, Mullins in center,  Right is open to Stewart, Rickard and I will add Yaz. If Trumbo is on the DL Stewart has a good chance of being the everyday left fielder. Mullins may be platooned with Rickard in CF at some point.

Tony's Take is a good read.  And I think he will agree its dependent on who Elias adds to the roster between now and opening day.

What is your Take?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With most of our high end prospects needing some time in AA/AAA, I think the OD roster is pretty “set” right now except for these questions,

• Trumbo’s Health
  • Catcher Position
  • Right Field
  • 5th SP
  • Jackson vs. Martin for SS (PT will likely fluctuate to whoever is performing)
  • Bullpen spots 4-7(Arajuo for 17 days with Givens, Blieir and Castro)

Once those questions are answered, and injuries don’t pop up, then bullpen and bench spots will be a clearer picture. 

We’re going to be predicted to lose 100 games, and we might keep our prospects in the minors for seasoning, and service time issues for much of 2019. However, ST could be really fun for us and provide some optimism. Imagine if 2-3 of our “prospecrts” light it up.

Previous years have been about finding players to fill our few open spots on the team because we were “winning”. Now I’d like to see us give more MLB ST playing time to the “prospects” because we already have a good idea of what these 4A guys can do. I know they aren’t “ready”, but I want to see Mountcastle, Hays, and Diaz get 50+ PA. Health permitting, I want to see Kremer, Akin, and Harvey start some games. 

I’m really looking forward to spring training but not too interested in analyzing the roster battles just yet.   I’m guessing the O’s will make 3-5 acquisitions between now and Feb. 12, between small FA signings and waiver wire pickups.    Plus, I’d just like to see how the spring unfolds a bit.    Overall, I think shortstop and catcher will be the most interesting spots to watch.  

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’m really looking forward to spring training but not too interested in analyzing the roster battles just yet.   I’m guessing the O’s will make 3-5 acquisitions between now and Feb. 12, between small FA signings and waiver wire pickups.    Plus, I’d just like to see how the spring unfolds a bit.    Overall, I think shortstop and catcher will be the most interesting spots to watch.  

This is about where I am.  Just want to see how the ST battles play out.  IMO, who the 4th and 5th starters are on a team that'll lose around 100 games isn't really interesting.  Same with who the backup catcher is.

I would like to see Stewart (even though I'm not a believer) have a big spring and take the RF spot for OD.  The SS battle is interesting but only to a certain degree.  Maybe Martin is a real find, that's about as much as I'm hoping for.

All I'm really looking for is to see how Hays, Stewart, Diaz, Kremer, Ortiz and others perform this year.  The 25 man roster exists this year because the Orioles have to field a team but I don't find anyone interesting in the groups that are viewed as certain OD starters outside of maybe Villar.  

12 minutes ago, AceKing said:

Completely new team from here on out.  Dont get too attached to anyone...

That is a interesting subject.  I think we will see the O's try to trade Cobb, Cashner, Villar, Trumbo, Givens and Bleier in July.  I say try because someone has to want those players on another team.  They have to perform well to put themselves in position to be traded.  

If I am going to get attached to any players it will probably be Hays, Diaz, DL Hall, Rodriguez, Kremer and McKenna.

10 hours ago, wildcard said:

Kind of surprised this in not being talked about.   Tony does a nice job of going through each player on the OH front page and stating where he sees them going into Spring Training.  http://www.orioleshangout.com/2019/02/02/quick-look-at-the-orioles-spring-training-roster/

Starter: Bundy, Cobb, Cashner, Hess and a competition be Ramirez, Means and Rogers for the 5th starter seems likely.

Relievers: Givens, Bleier, Castro have a hold on spots.   Scott, Fry, Yacabonis enter camp with he next highest probability  to stuck.   Aarujo  probably gets a spot for 17 days.  After that Carroll or Kline may join.   I would add that the losers of the Ramirez, Means, Rogers 5th starter competition could also be competing for a reliever spot.

Catcher: Tony states that Wynns has a spot at one of the catching spots unless he has a meltdown.   He does know the pitching staff which gives him an edge but he also has an option.  Elias has brought in two catchers with AL league experience in Perez and Sucre.     That gives them an edge of their own.  Sisco offers his youth.   Lets see  what plays out on the field.  New manager and coaches.  New ball game.

Infield: Davis 1B/DH, Villar 2B, Nunez 3B.   Tony sees a competition between Martin and Jackson at SS.   I have to add Alberto to that competition.  He has AAA experience that the other two do not have.  And his defensive and offensive numbers put him in the mix. Mancini could see time at 1B.

Utility:  I believe whoever of these three does not win the SS competition can stay as the utility infielder.  In fact both may stay. Martin and Jackson are Rule 5 guys and Alberto is out of options.  So they either stay or they have to be returned or DFA'd.

DH:  Is Trumbo if healthy.  But his knee could have him begin the season on the DL.  Davis could see action at DH as could Mancini

Outfield:  Trumbo's health impacts the outfield.    If Trumbo is healthy its Mancini in left, Mullins in center,  Right is open to Stewart, Rickard and I will add Yaz. If Trumbo is on the DL Stewart has a good chance of being the everyday left fielder. Mullins may be platooned with Rickard in CF at some point.

Tony's Take is a good read.  And I think he will agree its dependent on who Elias adds to the roster between now and opening day.

What is your Take?

And Mancini is being looked to as a leader in the clubhouse?

Trey Mancini, with only two full seasons in the majors, is thrust into the role.

“Life will come at you fast sometimes,” he said. “I played just over two years here and I’m considered a veteran, so you can get thrown into the fire. It’s happened to me before and I’m absolutely ready to take on that role.

“I’ve got to be a little more vocal. Toward the end of the year a lot of guys were coming up to me asking what they should do about, like, their 401(k) and all that stuff. I just asked people that the year before. I had no idea. So I tried to study up on that and get more educated as far as things about the union goes and stuff like that. In those regards I’m trying to step up to the plate a little bit.”

These guys can afford a financial advisor, right?

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/02/fanfest-leftovers-from-beyeler-wasdin-mancini-and-trumbo.html

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think it says a lot about Davis that Mancini is being forced to emerge as a clubhouse leader.

Or that no player is going to listen to a guy who had the worst season in the history of baseball.

Archived