Who are the 25 O's on the Opening Day Roster

wildcard

We are a day or two before ST begins.   Joe Trezza of MLB.com has written an article on who will be  the 25 to make the O's Opening Day roster.  Since we talk about everything Orioles I thought we should weigh in.   I don't agree with everyone on Joe's roster not surprisingly.   

Who do you think is on the O's 25 man roster on OD?

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/news/orioles-projected-25-man-opening-day-roster/c-303767988

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who cares is a more fitting question.

Anyway

Wynns, Sucre.  Chance Sisco has a terrible spring cause he's not a very good baseball player.

Davis.  Ugh

Villar 2b

Martin SS

Nunez 3B

Jackson UTI

Stewart DH - Is Trumbo even going to be healthy?

Mancini, Mullins, Rickard, Hays.  Rickard is OD starting RF but its Hays by June.

I agree with the rest of what he outlines for the staff, but debating who the Orioles 5th starter isn't interesting at all.

I tackled this myself last week (before the Karns signing): https://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2019/02/06/spring-training-nears-many-orioles-roster-spots-accounted/

I'm surprised Trezza doesn't list Paul Fry among the expected relievers, or even among the candidates fighting for a spot. Fry was pretty much the setup man for Givens in August and September last year. I think he's close to a lock.

Also I'd put Hess way ahead of Yefry Ramirez for the fifth starter's spot.

And I don't see Austin Hays making the Opening Day roster, although he could be up early in the season.

43 minutes ago, PaulFolk said:

I tackled this myself last week (before the Karns signing): https://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2019/02/06/spring-training-nears-many-orioles-roster-spots-accounted/

I'm surprised Trezza doesn't list Paul Fry among the expected relievers, or even among the candidates fighting for a spot. Fry was pretty much the setup man for Givens in August and September last year. I think he's close to a lock.

And I don't see Austin Hays making the Opening Day roster, although he could be up early in the season.

I agree about Fry. He was a bright spot last year. 

I would not keep 8 relievers either like Trezza has listed. Can always go that route if needed. Already 2 off days first week or so of season.  

I am not against Hays making it but would not mind him showing his health in the minors for a little. That way Stewart gets a good look. I still think there is a good chance they add a Sucre version for the OF. Good chance Rickard makes it. 

One thing in Sisco’s favor going north is Cossins and Hyde. That said I think Sucre has a good chance. I don’t know how they don’t take Wynns. He deserves it.  

Jackson has a little experience in the OF in the minors. He should get a lot of looks in the spring. That may allow Ruiz to make it as well and go with 4 OF’s not including Trumbo.  

1 hour ago, PaulFolk said:

Fry was the biggest omission to me. Not even mentioned at all.

Hess ahead of Ramirez, yes.

I'm not sure they carry both Martin and Jackson. I feel like one of them will have to win the shortstop position and the other will be sent back.

4 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Wynns, Sucre.  Chance Sisco has a terrible spring cause he's not a very good baseball player.

Davis.  Ugh

Villar 2b

Martin SS

Nunez 3B

Jackson UTI

Stewart DH - Is Trumbo even going to be healthy?

Mancini, Mullins, Rickard, Hays.  Rickard is OD starting RF but its Hays by June.

Why would you put Mancini in the OF while DHing Stewart? Not saying DJ's any great shakes out there, but he's got to be better than Mancini.

5 hours ago, PaulFolk said:

Paul,   You ran down the options but you did not pick 25 for OD.  I would like to see your list. 

Here is my 25.

1B - Davis

2B - Villar

SS - Martin

3B - Nunez

C - Wynns

LF - Mancini

CF - Mullins

RF- Jones on a 1/3m contract.  He waves  his 10/5 rights.  

DH- Trumbo

Bench - Perez, Rickard,  Jackson and Alberto

Stewart and Hays  optioned to begin the season.

Perez and Jones added to the 40 man roster.   Hart and Wright are DFA'd, clear waivers and are outrighted to Norfolk.

Sucre opts out.

Starter - Cobb, Bundy, Hess, Cashner, Karns

Relievers - Givens, Bleier, Castro, Fry, Kline, Yacabonis, Araujo

Kine shows better command than Scott.  Scott optioned to begin the season.

4 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Fry was the biggest omission to me. Not even mentioned at all.

Hess ahead of Ramirez, yes.

I'm not sure they carry both Martin and Jackson. I feel like one of them will have to win the shortstop position and the other will be sent back.

I wouldn’t worry about Jackson and Martin. I think Martin will be given every opportunity to be the everyday SS. Jackson will get ABs in the OF I believe. He’s more of a Swiss Army knife than just a IF. 

Sisco, Stewart, and Scott, are all three young players that I want to see be given lots of playing time early on and see what they do. They are pretty much the first wave of “prospects” for this rebuild. More time in the minors isn’t really necessary. It’s time to find out what we have. 

Pitching staff- I think the rotation is set if Karns is healthy.  Players that can go multi innings will be given priority in the pen early on. So Wright’s future with the club might be “married” with that of Arajuo.  I don’t think we necessarily take the best 7-8 relievers north with us, but we try and maintain depth and the ability to cover IP. 

April through August should be all about seeing if the mlb ready young guys can cut it, not rushing anyone to the mlb, and hopefully having enough players having good seasons to have a selloff 2.0 for 2021 and beyond. 

I think it’s way too early for this kind of speculation but heck, why not?

C Wynns & Sucre. Catching is about defense and handling the pitchers but don’t expect any offense. Sisco is BAD. Send him away.

1B Davis/Mancini/Trumbo(DL. The idea of being “sensitive” in renaming the DL is beyond comment) Hyde is too smart to put Mancini in the field, so Davis will play less when Trumbo returns and Mancini and Trumbo will mainly share DH/1B

2B Villar

3B Nunez

SS Martin

OF Stewart, Mullins, Rickard, Young

utility Jackson or Wilkerson(unlikely because Wilk has options)

Pitchers:

Starters: Bundy Cobb, Cash, Karns, Hess/TBA/flip a coin.

There’s next to nothing separating the slop trying for #5, so too soon to speculate, so Hess is a placeholder for now.

relievers:

Bleier, Givens, Fry, Gilmartin, Araujo, Yacabonis, Hart, Castro( but that changes constantly)

Elias likes strikeouts but not walks. Scott is going to drive him mad. I think he starts in AAA. Not sure how long Hart lasts, but I do think he’ll break camp with the guys.

Jackson can play OF too so if he has a good, or even meh spring, he could be 4OF as well as utility, so the team could have two utility guys.

A lot depends on the dominant focus of the team, hopefully it will be on defense, fundamentals, and keeping the pitch count down. If it is, the guys who make it will be fast, and good defenders.

Archived