Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

2 hours ago, atomic said:

I think I already told you this in another thread you do a double switch. Have Gentry or Rickard pinch hit for Cobb and stay in the game and move to left.  And then have the new pitcher replace Davis.  Move pitcher to pitch.  Move Mancini to first. Pretty simple stuff.  Davis didn't even bat again so you wouldn't even need another pinch hitter. It is amazing that you are defending Buck at this point.

This is Buck's quote from last night's game: ( he is so stuck on the save  rule  I wish major league would make some modification to the save rule. So we would see Buck change how he manages).  

Manager Buck Showalter on both Brach and Castro warming before the ninth: “Yeah, if we had scored one more run, Miguel would have (come in) in a non-save. But Brad’s been throwing real well. Tonight wasn’t one of those nights.”

Gentry and Rickard aren't much better bats than Cobb. It was the 6th inning. Too soon for them . And if he's playing Davis at all he's not going to take him out there. There's s plenty to criticize Buck about it but this isn't one.

Edited by El Gordo

Just now, elgordo said:

Gentry and Rickard aren't much better bats than Cobb. It was the 6th inning. Too soon for them . And if he's playing Davis at all he's not going to take him out there. There's s plenty to criticize Buck abo it but this isn't one.

Of course Gentry and Rickard are much better hitters than Cobb.  Cobb has one hit in his career.  This is a comical mistake and you are defending it.   If you keep Cobb in you don't pinch hit in the 6th. If you are taking him out you pinch hit.  It was stupid move.  He is the Chris Davis of managers. 

1 minute ago, atomic said:

Of course Gentry and Rickard are much better hitters than Cobb.  Cobb has one hit in his career.  This is a comical mistake and you are defending it.   If you keep Cobb in you don't pinch hit in the 6th. If you are taking him out you pinch hit.  It was stupid move.  He is the Chris Davis of managers. 

Hyperbole is not an argument.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, atomic said:

I am beginning to wonder if elgordo is actually Buck posting.  Like the GM of the Sixers on twitter.  No one else could be defending such a bone-head lack of a move. 

How old are you? I would guess no more than 14 mentally.

1 minute ago, elgordo said:

Hyperbole is not an argument.

I stated the facts you have nothing to dispute it except some comical statement that Rickard and Gentry are not much better.   Career wise Rickard gets on base 29.8 percent of the time and Gentry 33 percent of the time. It was a one run game.  I don't know how much worse you can be at managing than that.  

1 minute ago, elgordo said:

How old are you? I would guess no more than 14 mentally.

I was thinking the same thing about you.  I figured maybe you never saw a baseball game before this year.  Was this the first game you have seen without a DH?

I'm beginning to think that the only thing that will get CD out of the lineup is Buck Showalter being struck by lightning.

Buck, you're not doing anybody any favors anymore.  Especially yourself.  If nothing else, get that through your head.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Three Run Homer said:

I think that anyone who does not understand that Buck Showalter is too loyal to underperforming veterans is obtuse. 

Chris Davis is still in the lineup for the same reason that Chris Tillman spent almost all of last year in the starting rotation.  He was a good player once...Buck likes his guys and he sticks by his guys.  

Sometimes players stop being able to perform because their physical skills deteriorate.  Buck is the last person on the planet who thought that Chris Tillman could still turn things around, and he will be the last person on the planet who thinks that Chris Davis could still turn things around.  

Or he and DD and Brady understand that the guy is being paid 160 million and...will not accept a demotion to the bench or to the minors.

Buck is loyal to a fault, but he's not dumb.  We can whine about Tillman all we want, but the facts remain that there weren't significantly better options available for the rotation.  The FO wasn't going to pony up and sign anyone significant and Mike Wright is terrible.  I can't stand these arguments, it's not like the inclusion of Tillman was at the expense of someone else who was a clearly better option.  

But back to Davis, no one likes this situation, how can anyone be happy here?  If they bench Davis, try to demote him or whatever...better believe that he'll cause a fuss and openly complain to the media and then we'll have a REAL issue of crap hitting the fan.  I don't want that.  I'd prefer this to be handled behind the scenes and not airing out dirty laundry for all to see.  While I am a sports fan, I don't seek blood on the sportspages every day, especially from my favorite teams. 

If they bench Davis or try to make him miserable in an effort to get him to accept a demotion or have him sit on the bench, you bring agents and maybe even the MLBPA into the mix.  It could escalate and get nasty.  Some people might want that, some people might enjoy that drama.  Like I said, I don't.

I'd prefer this to be handled quietly behind the scenes, as I said before.  I am hoping that the Orioles are talking to Davis and his representatives to see if there's a way they can have a buyout or come to an agreement on how to proceed here.  My guess is that they are not but it could happen this offseason.

But make no mistake, Chris Davis is in the lineup because his salary stipulates that he should be.

10 minutes ago, 24fps said:

I'm beginning to think that the only thing that will get CD out of the lineup is Buck Showalter being struck by lightning.

Buck, you're not doing anybody any favors anymore.  Especially yourself.  If nothing else, get that through your head.

He is so one of Buck's guys that he could go 0-100 and still be in the lineup every day.  His "punishment" is being moved down to seventh in the order.

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Or he and DD and Brady understand that the guy is being paid 160 million and...will not accept a demotion to the bench or to the minors.

Buck is loyal to a fault, but he's not dumb.  We can whine about Tillman all we want, but the facts remain that there weren't significantly better options available for the rotation.  The FO wasn't going to pony up and sign anyone significant and Mike Wright is terrible.  I can't stand these arguments, it's not like the inclusion of Tillman was at the expense of someone else who was a clearly better option.  

But back to Davis, no one likes this situation, how can anyone be happy here?  If they bench Davis, try to demote him or whatever...better believe that he'll cause a fuss and openly complain to the media and then we'll have a REAL issue of crap hitting the fan.  I don't want that.  I'd prefer this to be handled behind the scenes and not airing out dirty laundry for all to see.  While I am a sports fan, I don't seek blood on the sportspages every day, especially from my favorite teams. 

If they bench Davis or try to make him miserable in an effort to get him to accept a demotion or have him sit on the bench, you bring agents and maybe even the MLBPA into the mix.  It could escalate and get nasty.  Some people might want that, some people might enjoy that drama.  Like I said, I don't.

I'd prefer this to be handled quietly behind the scenes, as I said before.  I am hoping that the Orioles are talking to Davis and his representatives to see if there's a way they can have a buyout or come to an agreement on how to proceed here.  My guess is that they are not but it could happen this offseason.

But make no mistake, Chris Davis is in the lineup because his salary stipulates that he should be.

There were better guys on the team than Tillman.   Are you saying David Hess is not better?  I don't understand your constant defense of Buck. He is just as bad at his job as Tillman and Davis are at theirs.