Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

22 minutes ago, weams said:

If you never used him, you could easily get a judgement for all monies owed and damages if it could be shown that this was a bad faith measure. 

I suppose Boras could try that but Trumbo is a better 1B now and Mancini is a better DH now. There is no reason to believe Davis will improve next year to justify playing time. There is no basis for Davis playing ahead of them except for Buck. Buck is the reason both Trumbo and Davis are on the team and that forces Mancini to learn OF at the MLB level. It's just wrong. Trumbo only has 1 more year. Tell Mountcastle to learn 1b. Mountcastle and Mancini are the future until someone better comes along. I'm too emotional about Davis to be rational so I'm going to bow out now. Sorry Weams.

54 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

He would have a $5 M/yr annuity for 22 years, be free to go to any team that would have him, and potentially make more money. If not he is a bench here warmer suffering humiliation for 4 years. Those are pretty strong motivations to me. 

Making $92m to sit on a bench traveling the country with a MLB team...oh the humility.

Give him half of ‘19 and bring out the guillotine if he’s the same old Davis. I’ve also floated the idea of the payout being offered as shares in the team. Admitted I haven’t thought that part through as much as I could have. May be worthy of a discussion.

Until then, he’s a ...

ivWzUeC.jpg

1 hour ago, Finisher said:

Would be nice if we had a manager with enough sense to at least bench him versus lefties.

You gave 114 at bats this year to a guy with a .220 OBP and .527 OPS against lefties.

In other years that might hold some weight, but your argument is moot this year. His OPS is .585 vs. RHP.  They are both terrible. But that's not much of a glaring difference in the grand scheme of things.  Take digs at Buck for all the other crap this year, but this doesn't really back it.

2 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

Indeed. The only pressure on Davis to take a buyout would be to free him up from his contract to pursue employment with another team... and no one is chomping at the bit to sign Chris Davis.

Some folks would be intrigued with the idea of retiring at 33 with a boatload of money.

BTW Davis' rWAR is back up over -2.

5 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

Coupled with his historically bad play, Chris Davis is owed $92 million over the next four seasons. If you were in charge and able to make a decision, what would you do with him? Please, Vote and Reply.

Note: I'd like to thank @Frobby for his suggestion of Option 3.

I'd make him a bench player. If he gets pissed then he can retire his ass. 

• Upvote 1

For me Davis sits. Mancini is given first base next year to make or break. Chris can DH occasionally or fill in for an injury. I take Chris from Spring Training and tell him he has to bunt against the shift if he wants back off the bench. That's what he is to focus on and leave him alone till he gets that right.

3 hours ago, Pheasants said:

For the last 30 days, Davis has a .239 average, though his OPS is only .645.  Maybe the question for option 3 is, is that enough to keep him? Or would a .239 with a .750 be enough?

Davis' 2012-2018 average is .236 with an .808 OPS, so I think your suggested baseline would have the entire Angelos family dancing in the streets.  I agree to having some objective baseline to make the call at the AS break next season.  I would peg it around 80 OPS+ however he arrives at it and revisit every half season from there on.  

My preference would be to cut him at the end of this season regardless, eat the money (or restructure the payments if possible), and wipe the slate as clean as possible.  His contract may not be a boat anchor, but his presence on a rebuilding team very well could be IMO.

• Upvote 1

Needless to say, I voted for no. 3.   He’s not going to take a buyout, and I just don’t think the team should walk away from $92 mm without giving Davis the offseason to try to get his act together.    If he shows that he is no better next year, time to give up and cut him after a few months.   

I don’t see that he’s blocking anybody.     Hays and Diaz haven’t played AAA yet, and Stewart had a poor last 2 months, so there’s still room for Mancini in the OF for a while.   If one of those guys proves they’re ready after a couple of months next season, that’s the time you look to cut Davis if you have to, and move Mancini to 1B.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I don’t think Davis has character issues. But there is ample evidence he doesn’t focus 100% offensively and defensively.

It’s one thing to be bad, but at least be locked in on every pitch.  

I have witnessed way too many lack of effort plays on defense the last few weeks.  He can't hit and I doubt if that is going to change. He is the highest paid player and we are stuck with his contract.  Saying that you would expect that he would put 100% effort into everything he does on the field.  

4 minutes ago, turtlebowl said:

I have witnessed way too many lack of effort plays on defense the last few weeks.  He can't hit and I doubt if that is going to change. He is the highest paid player and we are stuck with his contract.  Saying that you would expect that he would put 100% effort into everything he does on the field.  

But look at how much work he did with Coolbaugh in the offseason!