Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

4 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I wonder how much he owes to other people (Boras) out of his annual pay?  If he retired and just gave up his $20M a year, I'd bet Boras loses a $1M a year or more per year.  There may be other arrangements like that.  Obviously Davis has made enough that he should be more than okay for the rest of his life.  But you never know just how badly people manage their money, or set up financial arrangements that aren't well considered.

Boras negotiated the deal in good faith.  Davis may owe him his percentage whether he continues to play or retires. 

This point was made in a discussion on Fangraphs about Kyler Murray.  He was a first round pick of the Oakland A's last year and Boras negotiated an exemption for one more year of college football along with a $4.6 mil (I think) signing bonus.  Then Murray went out and won the Heisman Trophy and said he'd like to play both football and baseball.  Sheryl Ring wrote an article pointing out that by signing an NFL contract, he would be in breach of his MLB contract with Oakland, that Boras might be due his full fee, and that he might have to pay back the signing bonus.

• 1 month later...

Unconfirmed reports that they already have done some video work to get analytics on Davis:

His bat breaking speed was clocked at an incredible 143fps!

They clocked his “slow, dejected walk” back to the dugout at an unimpressive 2.98fps, so there is room for improvement there.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

Glad to see Crush report early in camp. 

Not amused by the jokes.  

I'm with you, but I don't think it is really joking.  It's more gallows humor.  Everyone hopes he's fantastic.  Most would be thrilled if he merely played to replacement level.  And almost the same amount of people think that is impossible.  And I think they all hope, they are wrong.  I'm gonna cut the new guy some slack and I know you will too. And the Coolbaugh bit was a little funny.  One out of three aint bad. It's better...nevermind. ;

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

I hope Chris Davis has an amazing season.  I think there will be an opportunity for him to work with the new guys with the new data and a clean slate.

I am bullish on him in fantasy, etc.

But I can't get those memories out of my head regardless.

• Confused 1

51 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

Not amused by the jokes.  

Ah, c'mon.  That's all we've got here.  

Seriously, people on the board are just hoping for REPLACEMENT LEVEL production.  I'd be happy with replacement level production out of him for this season, I think others would, too.

I'd be pleasantly surprised if they can analytic his issues away.  He's most likely going to remain terrible.  I get that the new regime wants to take a crack at him and see if their magic pixie dust can make him a productive player again but on the other hand they haven't watched him decline like we have over the years.  

So...joke away.  Try to add some levity to the situation with jokes, even though they can be corny or bad.  

16 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I'd argue that Chris Davis has to prove himself to THE WORLD. You know, we never talk about it, but the contract that Texas gave Prince Fielder might be even worse than the Davis contract. He's still collecting big fat pay checks for two more years. 

I think the Davis contract will be paying him into the 2030s or something ridiculous.  I don't even want to think about it.

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I'd argue that Chris Davis has to prove himself to THE WORLD. You know, we never talk about it, but the contract that Texas gave Prince Fielder might be even worse than the Davis contract. He's still collecting big fat pay checks for two more years. 

Yeah, maybe, but Mr. Davis will receive a fat paycheck from the Orioles until 2037.  The year 2037.

I think we should all just forget about the money and contract and hope he gets his head right.

37 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Atleast with Fielder, he had a career ending injury.

With Davis...He just sucked the last 2 seasons.