Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

1 hour ago, OrangeBlackBird said:

I'll be the optimist........he's hitting .319 with a .373 OBP since August 24th!  :D

Since August 14, has gone 15 for 51 (.268--about 100 points above his average most of the season) with 2 homers and 9 RBIs. 20 Ks, 4 BBs.

This is after possibly his worst game of the year: 4 Ks in 4 ABs on Aug. 12 vs. Boston (Chris Sale et al).

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Since August 14, has gone 15 for 51 (.268--about 100 points above his average most of the season) with 2 homers and 9 RBIs. 20 Ks, 4 BBs.

This is after possibly his worst game of the year: 4 Ks in 4 ABs on Aug. 12 vs. Boston (Chris Sale et al).

Chris has worn the Golden Sombrero four times this season, including three times where he was a perfect 4 for 4.    In fact, he did it on August 21, during his “hot streak.”

Congrats to Davis (I guess), who has gotten his batting average to .180 on the season.  His season OPS+ is all the way up to 57.

If he can maintain that, he will not break the record for lowest batting average for a qualifying player since 1920 [.179 - Rob Deer (1991), Dan Uggla (2013)]

26 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Chris has worn the Golden Sombrero four times this season, including three times where he was a perfect 4 for 4.    In fact, he did it on August 21, during his “hot streak.”

Resilience personified!

Hard to hold one's head up

Under a hat of gold.

22 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

.226 batting average in August, a blistering pace.  

.226/.282/.355 which is good for a .636 OPS...He raised his batting average and OBP and STILL finished with a lower OPS than he had in July because the slugging percentage was so anemic.

Off to a hot start in September, .375 batting average!  

Candidate for Comeback Player of the Fortnight.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

BA is now up to .180, ahead of Uggla/Deer's record of .179. Notably, Uggla OPS'ed .671 and Deer .700 in their record years, to Davis's current .572. Davis is 20 PA's from qualifying and is on the bench today.

Yes, if we put aside for a moment the focus on batting average, we would see that Davis is almost bound to have a much worse season than either Uggia or Deer.

Deer, 1991:  .179 / .314 / .386 / .700

Uggia, 2013:  .179 / .309 / .362 / .671

Davis, 2018:  .180 / .255 / .316 / .572

Rather, Davis's year is much closer to Adam Dunn's in 2011, when he fell short of the official mark by the insignificant margin of only 6 plate appearances:

Dunn, 2011: .159 / .292 / .277 / .569

Fewer homers and more walks are the only real difference between Davis's and Dunn's performances, whose OPSs are almost the same, as are their OPS+'s (Dunn 54, Davis 57).

But the Dunn comparison also provides a better source of hope than Uggia, whose career ended soonafter. Dunn recovered to have three seasons of OPSs between .752 and .800 at the ages of 32-34. Davis is 32.5 years old. My guess, though, is that it won't happen: Dunn had a much better eye and continued to walk at a high rate until the end.

22 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Yes, if we put aside for a moment the focus on batting average, we would see that Davis is almost bound to have a much worse season than either Uggia or Deer.

Sure, but this is all about avoiding setting the record for lowest batting average for a qualified player.    Neither Uggla nor Deer is anywhere near the record for lowest OPS by a qualified player.   I don’t know who holds that record, but I can tell you that Mark Belanger once qualified with a .520 OPS and Cesar Izturis while an Oriole qualified with a .545 OPS.   So Davis isn’t threatening that record, whatever it is.   It’s only the batting average record that’s in play.    

Edit - I still don’t know if it’s the lowest, but Hal Lanier qualified with a .461 OPS in 1968.   There were 7 players that year under Davis’ current .572.

On 6/22/2018 at 6:15 PM, SteveA said:

o

(JUNE 22nd)

Chris Davis 2.0 debuts tonight. He's taken time off, he's worked with Coolbaugh, he's worked with Brady. He's been declared "ready."

This will be the Chris Davis 2.0 thread. Chris Davis is currently hitting .150/.227/.227/.454.

But not Chris Davis 2.0. He hasn't batted yet. Maybe he'll be better, maybe he'll be worse. But we have a shiny new CD 2.0 in the lineup tonight, so let's give him the benefit of the doubt. In the Chris Davis 2.0 thread, the past is behind him, and we have an interesting Rookie to watch and see if he's Major League material or not.

o

On 7/28/2018 at 7:06 PM, OFFNY said:

o

Chris Davis )(2.0) lllllllll [JULY 27th]

120 llllllllllll Plate Appearances

7 llllllllllllllll Home Runs

16 lllllllllllllll RBI'sl

2   lllllllllllllll Stolen Bases ) (0 Caught Stealing)) 

4 lllllllllllllllll Doubles

10 lllllllllllllll Walks ) (2 Hit-By-Pitch)) 

38 lllllllllllllll Strikeouts

.168 lllllllllll Batting Average

.250 lllllllllll On-Base Percentage

.652 llllllllllll OPS

o

Chris Davis )(2.0) lllllllll [SEPTEMBER 6th]

253 llllllllllll Plate Appearances

12 llllllllllllll Home Runs

24 lllllllllllllll RBI'sl

2   lllllllllllllll Stolen Bases ) (0 Caught Stealing)) 

7 lllllllllllllllll Doubles

20 lllllllllllllll Walks ) (4 Hit-By-Pitch)) 

86 lllllllllllllll Strikeouts

.208 lllllllllll Batting Average

.281 lllllllllll On-Base Percentage

.689 llllllllllll OPS

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Sure, but this is all about avoiding setting the record for lowest batting average for a qualified player.    Neither Uggla nor Deer is anywhere near the record for lowest OPS by a qualified player.   I don’t know who holds that record, but I can tell you that Mark Belanger once qualified with a .520 OPS and Cesar Izturis while an Oriole qualified with a .545 OPS.   So Davis isn’t threatening that record, whatever it is.   It’s only the batting average record that’s in play.    

Yes, that's a good point. But I was just thinking of players I've witnessed that profile closer to Davis, which fundamentally weak-hitting defensive SS's don't (putting Davis on a scale with Belanger is a novel but rather fruitless comp). That also might give us a better basis for speculating about the future as well.

5 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Yes, that's a good point. But I was just thinking of players I've witnessed that profile closer to Davis, which fundamentally weak-hitting defensive SS's don't (putting Davis on a scale with Belanger is a novel but rather fruitless comp). That also might give us a better basis for speculating about the future as well.

Yeah, I don’t disagree with any of this.    I was just discussing records, not comparing the players.    The year Belanger had his .520 OPS, he was still worth 3.4 rWAR — that’s how amazing his defense was, plus it was the worst offensive year for MLB in modern history.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, I don’t disagree with any of this.    I was just discussing records, not comparing the players.    The year Belanger had his .520 OPS, he was still worth 3.4 rWAR — that’s how amazing his defense was, plus it was the worst offensive year in modern history.

And despite being such a weak hitter he got MVP votes three different seasons!

He was such a good bunter that he batted second a lot. You could count on him moving a runner over one base.

16 minutes ago, LA2 said:

And despite being such a weak hitter he got MVP votes three different seasons!

He was such a good bunter that he batted second a lot. You could count on him moving a runner over one base.

Well, actually, for his time he wasn’t that great.    Per BB-ref, he had a 68% success rate, during a period when the league average was 77.6%.    The league average today is only 59.6%, and of course teams bunt far less often.