Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

17 minutes ago, esmd said:

I was on the Chris Davis bandwagon as much as anyone from 2012 through 2015.  By all accounts, he seems like a good guy, teammate, husband, dad, etc.  It's been tough to watch him struggle so much, and I feel for him.  Reading that article was tough - I honestly feel horrible for the guy.  I thought, and still think, that Palmer took a cheap shot, not so much that he criticized him and his seeming lack of adjustment, but that he called his character and integrity into question.  Even in this thread people are still accusing him of lying, and that's a shame.  The fans have turned on him, and some have taken it way too far in a very ugly way.  I'm sure a lot of people have given him well meaning advice and encouragement as well.

There is no easy answer, obviously - the options have been discussed here ad nauseum.  Unfortunately unless a miracle turnaround happens, it seems destined to end badly.  I just hope whatever happens, that he's able to come to terms with it and not allow it to ruin his quality of life.

I'm sure that O's fans have said some mean things to Davis.  Imagine if he was in New York or Boston.  He would have to go into witness protection.  New York fans booed Stanton after he had a bad first week to the season.

1 hour ago, esmd said:

I was on the Chris Davis bandwagon as much as anyone from 2012 through 2015.  By all accounts, he seems like a good guy, teammate, husband, dad, etc.  It's been tough to watch him struggle so much, and I feel for him.  Reading that article was tough - I honestly feel horrible for the guy.  I thought, and still think, that Palmer took a cheap shot, not so much that he criticized him and his seeming lack of adjustment, but that he called his character and integrity into question.  Even in this thread people are still accusing him of lying, and that's a shame.  The fans have turned on him, and some have taken it way too far in a very ugly way.  I'm sure a lot of people have given him well meaning advice and encouragement as well.

There is no easy answer, obviously - the options have been discussed here ad nauseum.  Unfortunately unless a miracle turnaround happens, it seems destined to end badly.  I just hope whatever happens, that he's able to come to terms with it and not allow it to ruin his quality of life.

I sucked in little league and never made a dime off of baseball.  Do you feel sorry for me?  Every player's career ends sometime.  The only reason Davis is still in big leagues is because of his absurd contract.  I don't hear anyone feeling sorry for Matusz. 

2 hours ago, atomic said:

I sucked in little league and never made a dime off of baseball.  Do you feel sorry for me?  Every player's career ends sometime.  The only reason Davis is still in big leagues is because of his absurd contract.  I don't hear anyone feeling sorry for Matusz. 

That's just intellectually dishonest.  You should know better.  Or were you getting heckled in LL by fans at the games, and were you getting torn apart by jerks on the internet?  As far as Matusz goes, I'm sure he and plenty of others have dealt with that to an extent, but it's not even a matter of debate that due to his contract and the microscope he's under, that Davis is getting it far worse than most others.

God forbid I feel empathy for another human being.

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, esmd said:

That's just intellectually dishonest.  You should know better.  Or were you getting heckled in LL by fans at the games, and were you getting torn apart by jerks on the internet?  As far as Matusz goes, I'm sure he and plenty of others have dealt with that to an extent, but it's not even a matter of debate that due to his contract and the microscope he's under, that Davis is getting it far worse than most others.

I was being heckled by other kids parents when i was 9. Like I said before if Davis wasn't insanely overpaid he wouldn't still be in the major leagues.  I feel worse for Tillman.  He actually helped the team make the playoffs several years and never got a big free agency pay out.  

I am not sure why you pick Davis out of all the players who careers have ended.  He picked Boras because he wanted as much salary as possible

He makes zero effort to change.  He is a big part of why we have the worst record in franchise history.  Someone like Flacco I have empathy for he has led his team to super bowl victory and many playoff victories and yet he suffers the ire of fans. 

Davis chose to hold out for a 7 year contract and has been an embarrassment to himself and the team.  If it is too much for him, no one would be angry if he pulled a Colby and quit. But you cant expect to sign a contract like he has and to be worst player in pro sports and not expect fan backlash.

43 minutes ago, esmd said:

I was being heckled by other kids parents when i was 9. Like I said before if Davis wasn't insanely overpaid he wouldn't still be in the major leagues.  I feel worse for Tillman.  He actually helped the team make the playoffs several years and never got a big free agency pay out.  

I am not sure why you pick Davis out of all the players who careers have ended.  He picked Boras because he wanted as much salary as possible

He makes zero effort to change.  He is a big part of why we have the worst record in franchise history.  Someone like Flacco I have empathy for he has led his team to super bowl victory and many playoff victories and yet he suffers the ire of fans. 

Davis chose to hold out for a 7 year contract and has been an embarrassment to himself and the team.  If it is too much for him, no one would be angry if he pulled a Colby and quit. But you cant expect to sign a contract like he has and to be worst player in pro sports and not expect fan backlash.

2 minutes ago, atomic said:

I'm sure the $23 million/year helps him sleep better. 

5 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I'm sure the $23 million/year helps him sleep better. 

Exactly.  He has made 95 million so far in his career. If it is too much for him, no one other than Boras would judge him harshly  for walking away from the game.

If he chooses to continue he should stop crying and work on changing his game.  People are getting shot every day in Baltimore, kids are going hungry, people are dealing with major health issues, drug addictions, spousal abuse, financial hardships. He doesn't have real problems.

Davis has zero reasons to be crying. He has his health, a big family and has the means to support them without working another day in his life.