Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

3 minutes ago, Bmorebirds24 said:

A buddy of mine had said he text 105.7 the fan about them criticizing him for not showing up early to Camp. Any idea if this is true? I really think Davis has issues upstairs more so than working on his craft. Maybe he is just lazy and don’t care. 

Supposedly he was sick. 

Orioles' Chris Davis: Delayed due to illness

Davis has been in Florida for a week but has yet to join his team due to bronchitis, Roch Kubatko of MASN Sports reports.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, SteveA said:

They were very critical that he didn't show up several days early with the Ps&C's like some other guys did.  Especially Vinnie.

He finally showed up a day early.  He said he had been in Sarasota for a week but had been sick so he hadn't come to the facility.

I believe I heard that Hyde said he had not known that Davis was in town before he showed up.

I heard the interview with Hyde and him saying he hadn’t talked to or heard from Davis. I get Davis being sick and what not but a simple phone call saying hey skip I’m in town but pretty ill I’ll be ready to roll as soon as the bug passes. 

5 hours ago, SteveA said:

They were very critical that he didn't show up several days early with the Ps&C's like some other guys did.  Especially Vinnie.

He finally showed up a day early.  He said he had been in Sarasota for a week but had been sick so he hadn't come to the facility.

I believe I heard that Hyde said he had not known that Davis was in town before he showed up.

He showed up three days early, not one day.    

Regardless of what any of us want, the most likely occurrence is that Chris Davis continues his rapid decline.  I see no point criticizing Davis for not changing.  If his bat speed, his ability to connect or react continue to erode, his time in a ML uniform will be over soon enough.  I don't think he cheated to get his contract, but if the Orioles did, they could probably find out and seek to void the deal.  They might save money, the might spend more, but they would likely only confirm the stupidity of the deal from the get go.

Davis will get a chance to be a replacement level player, but he is not going to be allowed to be an embarrassment to the game.  And I am not trying to be harsh.  But the principle of Occam's Razor would tell us that when we try to figure out Davis' decline, the simplest explanation is probably the best.  It's not eyesight, it's not that he quit taking steroids, he doesn't' have mental problems, and he isn't a terrible person.  Chris Davis' skill level is no longer Major League material.  

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

More like: Davis will get a chance to be a replacement level player, but he is not going to be allowed to be an embarrassment to the game for much longer.

I have absolutely no doubt that Davis has some embarrassment from his performance.  But he has done nothing to embarrass the game to this point.  When I said, the Orioles will not allow him to be an embarrassment to the game, what I was saying is that the Orioles would be embarrassing the game by playing Davis if/when it is obvious he isn't a ML player.  That time isn't far off, but I want to say again, Chris Davis may be a disappointment to Oriole fans and to Oriole Ownership, but he is no embarrassment to the game and it's just spiteful to say so.

Just now, foxfield said:

I have absolutely no doubt that Davis has some embarrassment from his performance.  But he has done nothing to embarrass the game to this point.  When I said, the Orioles will not allow him to be an embarrassment to the game, what I was saying is that the Orioles would be embarrassing the game by playing Davis if/when it is obvious he isn't a ML player.  That time isn't far off, but I want to say again, Chris Davis may be a disappointment to Oriole fans and to Oriole Ownership, but he is no embarrassment to the game and it's just spiteful to say so.

Davis wasn't an MLB player last year, and if it wasn't for the contract he never would have had enough plate appearances to qualify for the batting title. 

27 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Davis wasn't an MLB player last year, and if it wasn't for the contract he never would have had enough plate appearances to qualify for the batting title. 

Maybe, maybe not. Part of him having the contract is that he’s demonstrated the ability to be an elite slugger in the past. I think someone would have continued to give him at bats last season. 

42 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The longer he goes and the slower the bat, the more obvious.  But he had nagging injuries over the last couple years and Buck stuck with his guy.  You think Buck would have dumped him if not for the contract?   That wasn't how Buck worked.  But your right, he was not a MLB player based on his performance.  But ball players do earn rope and Davis has earned his.  Of course this will be year three and no one has that much rope.

Archived