Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’m glad Davis hit a homer today.    Any sign of life is good.   Good for him psychologically, as well as me.

I'm actually not.  I've got mixed feelings.

I feel for the guy (a little, little bit) and I'd like to see him do well.  On the flip side of that coin, any sign of life possibly gives the Orioles reasons to give him more and more chances, something I don't want to see.  "Remember that week 3 months ago where he hit .350 with 5 homers?  He can do it again!  Never mind he's hit .176 since then!"

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I feel for the guy (a little, little bit) and I'd like to see him do well.  On the flip side of that coin, any sign of life possibly gives the Orioles reasons to give him more and more chances, something I don't want to see.  "Remember that week 3 months ago where he hit .350 with 5 homers?  He can do it again!  Never mind he's hit .176 since then!"

I don’t think that is going to fly with Elias and Hyde running the show.  Buck is no longer around to protect his guy.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Probably the worst case scenario is where Davis improves, but not enough to actually make him a replacement level player or better.    Just enough to give the team reason to hang on to him in the hope of further improvement, but not enough to actually be a better alternative to other, younger guys in the organization.   

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Probably the worst case scenario is where Davis improves, but not enough to actually make him a replacement level player or better.    Just enough to give the team reason to hang on to him in the hope of further improvement, but not enough to actually be a better alternative to other, younger guys in the organization.   

Exactly what I'm afraid of.

What can they do with him? They have to pay him, so why not play him? If he sucks, he helps you get more top picks. If he's good, they're still bad.

I want him gone. Give someone else a chance. I don't see that happening because of the money. Maybe they cut him in a couple of years when they're contending and they need his spot for someone good.

3 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I don’t think that is going to fly with Elias and Hyde running the show.  Buck is no longer around to protect his guy.

This is the acid test for the brave new world isn't it?  Not only is it Elias and Hyde but also others contributing both human observation and data analysis interpreted by a real-life rocket scientist.  If Davis' bat speed and eye are no longer there, I think it will be uncovered fairly quickly and whatever remedies they try will be exhausted shortly afterward.  Equivocation shouldn't be part of The Process.

37 minutes ago, 24fps said:

This is the acid test for the brave new world isn't it?  Not only is it Elias and Hyde but also others contributing both human observation and data analysis interpreted by a real-life rocket scientist.  If Davis' bat speed and eye are no longer there, I think it will be uncovered fairly quickly and whatever remedies they try will be exhausted shortly afterward.  Equivocation shouldn't be part of The Process.

Good points!  Here are some Davis and Hyde quotes through Roch  - it is a process:

“It felt really good,” said Davis, who launched a 1-2 pitch. “I felt like today was really the first day I had my legs underneath me the entire day. Coming off the last few days of that bronchitis, just getting it out of my system, felt like I was getting my strength back and getting my legs underneath me, which makes it a little bit easier.

“I felt like I saw the ball well the other day. Just a little in between on my timing, and it’s getting a little bit better each game. Obviously had a positive result my last at-bat today, so it’s a good one to end on.”

“It’s only a spring training game and it’s his second game,” said manager Brandon Hyde, “but for him to square one up like that, I’m sure that’s ... I just want to see him take good at-bats and the results will happen. To hit a two-strike breaking ball for a homer shows you how strong he is. But I just think rhythm and timing are coming and he’s seeing the ball a little bit better his last two at-bats, so that was nice to see.”

The batting practice sessions have been good, but it’s the games that count. Even the ones that technically don’t count. Or end prematurely in a downpour.

“I think they’ve been very productive, very focused and going into it with a plan of attack and we’re sticking to it,” Davis said. “Not trying to just launch balls but really work on bat path, staying through the ball, not trying to do too much with the ball, and I think it’s going to prove to help me down the stretch in spring training and into the season.”

The adjustments in Davis’ swing were laid out again today for media as he stood outside the clubhouse.

“A lot of it was just shortening up,” he said. “I felt like there were way too many at-bats last year where I was getting out and around the ball, leading to a lot of foul balls, a lot of ground balls into the shift. Just trying to get back to keeping my swing a little shorter, using all the field and not just getting pull happy."

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/02/davis-on-his-home-run-and-wrapping-up-an-11-5-loss.html

1 minute ago, bobmc said:

Good points!  Here are some Davis and Hyde quotes through Roch  - it is a process:

“It felt really good,” said Davis, who launched a 1-2 pitch. “I felt like today was really the first day I had my legs underneath me the entire day. Coming off the last few days of that bronchitis, just getting it out of my system, felt like I was getting my strength back and getting my legs underneath me, which makes it a little bit easier.

“I felt like I saw the ball well the other day. Just a little in between on my timing, and it’s getting a little bit better each game. Obviously had a positive result my last at-bat today, so it’s a good one to end on.”

“It’s only a spring training game and it’s his second game,” said manager Brandon Hyde, “but for him to square one up like that, I’m sure that’s ... I just want to see him take good at-bats and the results will happen. To hit a two-strike breaking ball for a homer shows you how strong he is. But I just think rhythm and timing are coming and he’s seeing the ball a little bit better his last two at-bats, so that was nice to see.”

The batting practice sessions have been good, but it’s the games that count. Even the ones that technically don’t count. Or end prematurely in a downpour.

“I think they’ve been very productive, very focused and going into it with a plan of attack and we’re sticking to it,” Davis said. “Not trying to just launch balls but really work on bat path, staying through the ball, not trying to do too much with the ball, and I think it’s going to prove to help me down the stretch in spring training and into the season.”

The adjustments in Davis’ swing were laid out again today for media as he stood outside the clubhouse.

“A lot of it was just shortening up,” he said. “I felt like there were way too many at-bats last year where I was getting out and around the ball, leading to a lot of foul balls, a lot of ground balls into the shift. Just trying to get back to keeping my swing a little shorter, using all the field and not just getting pull happy."

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/02/davis-on-his-home-run-and-wrapping-up-an-11-5-loss.html

The most important thing was he actually swung the bat at the 1-2 pitch, rather than watching it go by for strike three.

3 minutes ago, bobmc said:

I sure like hearing this.

15 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Good post.

But, for me, I think the bigger picture is, how are Elias' hands tied here, if they are or arent?

I suspect that Elias would have to get clearance from ownership to release a contract that big.    I also suspect this topic was discussed in some detail before Elias took the job and there’s already an understanding in principle about what criteria would be used to make that decision.    I will be surprised if Elias goes to ownership for approval of Davis’ release and doesn’t get that approval.   Of course, we may never know if he tried to get approval and didn’t.   

3 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

me too, but every HR he hits, there will be 10+ pages, both from the haters and the lovers, not to mention, the ones in between, and just hope he does well. :)

Well, I hope we have those threads 35 times this year, then.   

Archived