Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

11 minutes ago, GuidoSarducci said:

Theoretically if he were to do that, it would be 160 total bases/500 ABs, which means  SLG of .320,  OBP would be a dismal .80 (40 H/500 PAs), so actually worse than he did last year.    If you add 50 walks it would push his OBP to 90/550 = .163, which is still a horrible OPS of .483

I'm only interested in the freak show angle, I know Davis would still be terrible. But I can't watch a repeat of last season if he is going to be on the team.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/23/2019 at 10:03 AM, Can_of_corn said:

Because players that can't do better than Baltimore will be in demand at the deadline.

Team’s math on player acquisition changes when they have a better idea of their playoff outlook (relative to beginning of season) injuries occur and players in Baltimore outplay previous expectations/having great years. 

I know most of the OH have written Davis off,  but I am looking at any signs of life from his bat.  And ST has showed some:

37 AB,  3  HR, 7 RBI, 7 BB, 19 SO  189/318/432/751

Over  550 AB that is 44 HR, 104 RBI, 104 BB, 282 SO

Yes, yes, yes  Its only ST,  Its SSS.   The batting avg and SO are terrible.  But there are some signs of life there.

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I know most of the OH have written Davis off,  but I am looking at any signs of life from his bat.  And ST has showed some:

Yes, yes, yes  Its only ST,  Its SSS.   The batting avg and SO are terrible.  But there are some signs of life there.

He seems to be using the whole field more. That has been the biggest reason for optimism. 

That said once pitchers are worrying more about getting outs instead of getting their work in I don’t think he has the skills to compete. 

It would be a great story if he proved everyone wrong.  

12 minutes ago, wildcard said:

282 strikeouts? ?

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a5c995bf04944344367

27 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Even ignoring projections, the strikeout rate pretty much shows he is totally done. I’m at the 100% he is toast point.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

He had a good final two days.    Hopefully he carries that into the season.   

On 5/5/2017 at 6:00 PM, mrbig1 said:

That still kills me letting Cruz and Miller walk. We were a step away from the world series.

They slammed their window shut with those moves. Miller might have been had if they really ($$) wanted him while Cruz would have been a bargain for his production. They would have been in the WS.

On 3/21/2019 at 9:34 PM, RZNJ said:

Play him every single day and let him continue to live with the shame of becoming the most overpaid, worst hitter in ML history. Davis will eventually break and come to the Orioles with some kind of buyout compromise.  

If I were him I would be giving most of the money to charity. You don't need this kind of money to live a decent life anyway.

8 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

If I were him I would be giving most of the money to charity. You don't need this kind of money to live a decent life anyway.

If Davis really wants to be generous he needs to donate for each strikeout instead.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-clemente-20180905-story,amp.html

For the second straight year, the Davises hosted the “Crush’s Homers for Hearts,” a charity Home Run Derby event at Camden Yards that benefits the Pediatric Heart Program of the UMCH. Additionally, Davis has donated $1,000 for each of his home runs to the UMCH Pediatric Heart Program during the 2017 and 2018 seasons, raising $42,000 to date.

2 hours ago, Uli2001 said:

They slammed their window shut with those moves. Miller might have been had if they really ($$) wanted him while Cruz would have been a bargain for his production. They would have been in the WS.

It seemed a logical move a the time.  In 2014 Cruz was 33 and Davis was 28.  One would expect to see Cruz to be the one to show decline over the next 5 years.

As for Miller, in 2014 our bullpen was absolute loaded with Britton, O'Day, Hunter and Brach.   We couldn't keep all of them.

7 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

If Davis really wants to be generous he needs to donate for each strikeout instead.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-clemente-20180905-story,amp.html

For the second straight year, the Davises hosted the “Crush’s Homers for Hearts,” a charity Home Run Derby event at Camden Yards that benefits the Pediatric Heart Program of the UMCH. Additionally, Davis has donated $1,000 for each of his home runs to the UMCH Pediatric Heart Program during the 2017 and 2018 seasons, raising $42,000 to date.

Man Davis does a ton of charity stuff. He’s the Orioles Ambassador for Casey Cares. He helped out with that accident. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2014/09/17/chris-davis-helped-rescue-a-man-pinned-under-a-truck/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.ae81a5a50ad8

That contract isn’t the reason we are where we are. That would be the SP.  It actually helped us realize we needed this rebuild instead spending the next few seasons chasing the WC play in game. 

8 hours ago, Uli2001 said:

Two players were the difference between winning 81 games and going to the World Series?

You guys are living in a fantasy world.    The main reason the 2014 team was so good was that virtually our entire rotation had career seasons.    The starting staff had an ERA of 3.61 — think about that!    The next year’s rotation — the exact same pitchers — had a 4.53 ERA.    Not a darned thing Cruz or Miller had to do with that.    The 2015 team scored 8 more runs than the 2014 team, but allowed 100 more runs, and 82 of those were by the starting pitchers.    

I’m not saying Cruz and Miller wouldn’t have won us a few extra wins, but they weren’t the difference between an 81-win team and going to the World Series.

o

(APRIL 1st)

Davis has played in 3 of the Orioles' first 4 games of the season so far.

In his first game against the Yankees, he struck out in all 3 of his plate appearances. 

In his 2nd game against the Yankees, he walked 1 time in 4 plate appearances.

Against the Blue Jays tonight, he again walked 1 time in 4 appearances.

Overall he was walked 2 times in 11 plate appearances, with 5 of the 9 outs that he made coming via the strikeout.

o

Archived