Orioles Sign Alicides Escobar to MiL Deal

Rene88

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Not gonna lie, it still bothers me that Escobar was on that 2014 KC team. I think it’s clear that Elias isn’t going to have our defense be an embarrassment this year. OF is the only position that might be a little thin, defense wise. 

Signing Escobar also sets up the potential to DFA some of the SS backup plans Elias claimed off waivers this offseason. If Escobar agrees to go to AAA to stsrt the year I think we will see Alberto DFAd at the end of ST. 

I have no idea how good Alberto is at SS.  He won a Gold Glove in the minors and his defense at SS was talked about  very highly in Texas by his major league manager and teammates.    However he had shoulder surgery in 2017.   He has experience at AAA and in the majors.    He could be more ready to be a starting SS than Martin or Jackson, both who are trying to make the jump from AA.   Alberto was MVP for the AAA Round Rock Express last year hitting for 330/364/452/797.  But that is in the Pacific Coast League  which is a hitters league.

Finding out how good Alberto is will be is something to watch in ST.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, wildcard said:

I have no idea how good Alberto is at SS.  He won a Gold Glove in the minors and his defense at SS was talked about  very highly in Texas by his major league manager and teammates.    However he had shoulder surgery in 2017.   He has experience at AAA and in the majors.    He could be more ready to be a starting SS than Martin or Jackson, both who are trying to make the jump from AA.   Alberto was MVP for the AAA Round Rock Express last year hitting for 330/364/452/797.  But that is in the Pacific Coast League  which is a hitters league.

Or not.   He was just DFA, now let’s see if he gets through waivers.   

16 hours ago, Frobby said:

Or not.   He was just DFA, now let’s see if he gets through waivers.   

A good time to try and sneak Alberto through waivers. I’d expect a flurry of moves this week with the two big names coming off the board. In fact, that might result in Elias claiming/DFAing some more players. I’m excited. Our offseason is finally picking up steam. 

If this is true it's kind of annoying we settle for Escobar. Iglesias can really pick it...and I'm not talking about a guitar!

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that the Reds have been in discussions with Jose Iglesias about a minor league contract.

Iglesias would be a depth add for Cincinnati, giving them a quality glove on the bench. The 29-year-old is a career .270/.315/.363 hitter over parts of seven major league seasons but consistently ranks as one of the better-fielding shortstops in the game.

30 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

If this is true it's kind of annoying we settle for Escobar. Iglesias can really pick it...and I'm not talking about a guitar!

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that the Reds have been in discussions with Jose Iglesias about a minor league contract.

Iglesias would be a depth add for Cincinnati, giving them a quality glove on the bench. The 29-year-old is a career .270/.315/.363 hitter over parts of seven major league seasons but consistently ranks as one of the better-fielding shortstops in the game.

Trust the process!  They see and know something about Alcides.  Let the Reds do something this year for a change!

46 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I'm surprised Iglesias can't get a MLB deal.

On 2/19/2019 at 6:10 AM, wildcard said:

I'm sorry but who is Alberto? 

1 hour ago, Tx Oriole said:

I'm sorry but who is Alberto? 

Hanser Alberto, who we picked up on waivers earlier this offseason.

We just let him go to make room for the LH reliever we picked up on waivers, Osich.

Alberto was claimed by the Giants on waivers.

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

Hanser Alberto, who we picked up on waivers earlier this offseason.

We just let him go to make room for the LH reliever we picked up on waivers, Osich.

Alberto was claimed by the Giants on waivers.

How desperate are the giants if they have to claim a guy who can't even stick on the O's 40 man.?

Archived